Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Loadsa stuff to check out here but may I recommend

Camel - almost anything but especially Mirage and Snow Goose IMO prog rock at its best. If you like absolutely gorgeous electric guitar sounds try some of the later stuff eg Rajaz, Dust and Dreams, Harbour of Tears EDIT not forgetting Stationary Traveller which contains some exquisite guitar sounds

Ti Jaz - anything you can get your hands on. Breton jazz/rock/folk band mixing Breton folk tunes with a jazz/rock rhythm section.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sgt Pepper

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2017
Newcastle Upon tyne
AKA
Barry (Baz)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't recommend this album more highly:

UhUF2Bg.jpg

• Upvote
Reactions: oldius and Bazzer

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On 02/07/2020 at 14:05, Baggawire said:

Les Negresses Vertes were a great live band as this video shows. I saw them at the Brixton Academy on Saturday 27th April 1991 - I know that because I still have the ticket stub. There was also a band around at the same time with a similar oeuvre called 3 Mustaphas 3 who I also had the pleasure in seeing live on Tuesday 14th May 1991 - I have that ticket stub too!

I was thinking about these for this thread and here they are, great musicians and probably the first world music.  Doubtless the fake accents would set off the PC brigade and all the snowflakes nowadays and they would have ruined the whole premise.  These guys were all British musicians.

Les Negresses Vertes was also a favourite band in the 90's, reminds me of ski holidays!

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the Mustaphas 3 but i think you are way wide of the mark with them being anything like the first world music . I went to see this group live at the Philharmonic Hall in 1972 as the support band for Atomic Rooster . So blew me away I went and bought their first album . Miriam Makeba was before this as was Hugh Masekela . Fela Kuti was also much earlier but all great music . Just bought three 3 Mustaphas 3 CD's as they were reasonable so will give them a spin when they arrive.

Reactions: oldius

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
Bruce Springsteen Letter to You" on vinyl 

This is copied from a thread on vinyl formats where it was a bit lost.

Its a stonking album, of mostly rollicking and a few more thoughtful numbers. Musically you can hear influences of his landmark albums such as Born to Run, The River and Nebraska but its no homage - this is an uplifting album from an artist who still has something to say.

Bruce can still belt them out and his voice is suitably gravelly when he dials it back.  You wouldn't believe The Boss is now over 70!

It has terrific sonics and nice packaging of the two discs.

IMO, its a must buy for any Springsteen fan. And if he passed you by in the 70/80s this is as good an album as any to illustrate why he is one of Americas greatest singer songwriters who has long paid his dues and knows his place in the history of folk-blues influenced rock.

With its snow laden album cover, its the perfect Xmas gift for any dad or mom rocker!

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
R-2212751-1555349615-7256.jpeg.jpg

This is the debut solo album, released in 2002, by this Swedish singer/songwriter and in my opinion, his best and most accessible one.

I have seen this listed under Americana, that's how I found it, although he is Swedish, he did live in America for about 9 years, from age 6 - 15.

Hope some of you enjoy it.

Clownmaster

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 18, 2010
UK
AKA
Tony
On 04/07/2020 at 11:26, ian917 said:

Lee Harvey Osmond - A Quiet Evil

Hard to categorise but i’ll go for dark Americana. Has contributions from some of the Cowboy Junkies.

Terrific record - thanks for the suggestion. I’ve checked out Tom Wilson’s other stuff and it’s also worth checking out. Sounds good on Qobuz as well 

Boris the Animal

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2019
Wiltshire
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Goldfrapp’s Seventh Tree has just landed. A wise buy on daffodil-yellow vinyl. “It’s a blue, bright blue Saturday..” Great release.

DC502862-BB6B-459E-B63E-E3E47DE5E15C.jpeg

Reactions: oldius

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online