Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks for those, too late last night to play, I will have a listen later today. I do know quite a few of them already. Can you recommend any albums with lots of drums, African or Brazilian?
From Brazil I would recommend stuff from Carlinhos Brown and Airto Moreira (Samba De Flora being my particular favourite) Also if you've got iPlayer take a look at Huey Morgan's Latin Music Adventure from last Friday which covered Brazil. Might give you a few tips.

In terms of African music with lots of drums then there're the Apala and Fuji styles from West Africa which are highly percussive but my knowledge is a bit vague in terms of albums. The Soul Jazz label has recently brought out compilations of both styles which might point you in the right direction.  Also check out the two Pat Thomas and Kwashibu Area Band releases on the Strut label - you really are dead from the neck up if you don't immediately start tapping your foot to either of them.

Reactions: oldius

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From Brazil I would recommend stuff from Carlinhos Brown and Airto Moreira (Samba De Flora being my particular favourite) Also if you've got iPlayer take a look at Huey Morgan's Latin Music Adventure from last Friday which covered Brazil. Might give you a few tips.

In terms of African music with lots of drums then there're the Apala and Fuji styles from West Africa which are highly percussive but my knowledge is a bit vague in terms of albums. The Soul Jazz label has recently brought out compilations of both styles which might point you in the right direction.  Also check out the two Pat Thomas and Kwashibu Area Band releases on the Strut label - you really are dead from the neck up if you don't immediately start tapping your foot to either of them.
OK thanks, I will have look later.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just remembered that King Sunny Ade is the most famous exponent of the fuji style - he's to fuji what Fela Kuti is to afrobeat.
As far as I know and I could easily be wrong but the popular name for music King Sunny Ade plays is JuJu  and is a mixture of Yoruba style singing with western rhythms . I have not seen it described as Fuji before ?

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
As far as I know and I could easily be wrong but the popular name for music King Sunny Ade plays is JuJu  and is a mixture of Yoruba style singing with western rhythms . I have not seen it described as Fuji before ?
Yes - you're right.  :^

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes - you're right.  :^
Yes but even better you have put me on to an African style of music I was not aware of Fuji for which from my brief reading up to now the current King is Saheed Osupa . Have you heard any of this style , if so what is it like ? Any recommendations ? I can feel a new buying spree coming on .

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yes but even better you have put me on to an African style of music I was not aware of Fuji for which from my brief reading up to now the current King is Saheed Osupa . Have you heard any of this style , if so what is it like ? Any recommendations ? I can feel a new buying spree coming on .
Check out the below from Soul Jazz. 

https://soundsoftheuniverse.com/sjr/product/alhaji-chief-kollington-ayinla-his-fuji-78-organization-blessing_2

There are some soundclips if you want a preview. It's pure unrelenting rhythm which I find a tough listen all in one go tbh. I prefer the Sewele LP by Sir Shina Peters (released last year on the Strut label). It's a bit of a hybrid between the fuji and juju styles and more melodic.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Check out the below from Soul Jazz. 

https://soundsoftheuniverse.com/sjr/product/alhaji-chief-kollington-ayinla-his-fuji-78-organization-blessing_2

There are some soundclips if you want a preview. It's pure unrelenting rhythm which I find a tough listen all in one go tbh. I prefer the Sewele LP by Sir Shina Peters (released last year on the Strut label). It's a bit of a hybrid between the fuji and juju styles and more melodic.
Sorry do not do Vinyl , CD only but will give this a look .

Scooter

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2018
The Graceless Age by John Murry is a brilliant album of a his troubled life including his hate of living in California, the breakup of his marriage, the loss of his home, wife and child and his near death after a herion overdose. Released in 2013 it's a full scale Americana album that was critically rated highly. The highlight of the album is the track Little Coloured Balloons a reference to how the drugs were sold in coloured balloons. It features the line "I took an ambulance ride, they said I should have died. Right there on 16th and mission". It may not sound a lot of fun but it's rewarding album which still gets played here a lot.

51vNYStaSkL._AC_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DIB

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2009
Manchester
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Graceless Age by John Murry is a brilliant album of a his troubled life including his hate of living in California, the breakup of his marriage, the loss of his home, wife and child and his near death after a herion overdose. Released in 2013 it's a full scale Americana album that was critically rated highly. The highlight of the album is the track Little Coloured Balloons a reference to how the drugs were sold in coloured balloons. It features the line "I took an ambulance ride, they said I should have died. Right there on 16th and mission". It may not sound a lot of fun but it's rewarding album which still gets played here a lot.

51vNYStaSkL._AC_.jpg
That sounds right up my street for later listening, hopefully it's on Spotify.  You can't beat a bit of misery, pain and heartache to make the best tunes  :)

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

51vNYStaSkL._AC_.jpg
Thanks, I don't think I know this album, will give it a play later.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That sounds right up my street for later listening, hopefully it's on Spotify.  You can't beat a bit of misery, pain and heartache to make the best tunes  :)
If you don't know this album, it's emotional and heavy, it may worth a listen if you want that sort of thing: 

41JDh6vgI0L._SY400_.jpg

deadflagbrews

Post Rocker
Wammer
Jun 7, 2020
Wakefield
AKA
Dan Gibson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This one from Rick Tomlinson (not the one off the telly) and his mates, or for a more folky, less rocky vibe his Voice of the Seven Woods album. Middle Eastern tinged psychedelia 

23980DCF-FC69-41B7-ABEB-A18C2DE434CF.jpeg

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, I don't think I know this album, will give it a play later.
Did you have a listen , outstanding album , I have the CD , Vinyl and the Demos CD  :D

DIB

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2009
Manchester
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did you have a listen , outstanding album , I have the CD , Vinyl and the Demos CD  :D
One of those that was listened to in installments, a song here, a song there so not ideal. Not blown away on first listen but definitely one of those that deserves a second listen.

Reactions: Bazzer

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One of those that was listened to in installments, a song here, a song there so not ideal. Not blown away on first listen but definitely one of those that deserves a second listen.
It was a big deal when it came out , won some album of the year award in the States .

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did try it, only played the first few tracks, mind you one is 10 minutes long, I found it a bit dark, not easy listening, I will try it again, maybe later in the day. Probably I need to play it a few times to get into it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.