Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'll do that later, I see some above have managed to post their detailed data. My general question seems to be I'm two or three hertz different than each of your proscribed peaks. (And there's no Ninkas.) If it's not close to your numbers, does one always eliminate the calculated and always do a custom?

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll do that later, I see some above have managed to post their detailed data. My general question seems to be I'm two or three hertz different than each of your proscribed peaks. (And there's no Ninkas.) If it's not close to your numbers, does one always eliminate the calculated and always do a custom?
If the Linn calculated room modes are at a similar frequency to my prescribed custom filters, then I will zero the calculated and add the custom filters at 63.5, 74.3 and 82.48 Hz.

In some setups, a calculated room mode in the 50 Hz range may benefit from more gain, or from being completely reduced to zero, from my experience, as you have done.

I generally keep the first 2 calculated room modes, but may slightly move the frequency, add a small amount of gain and narrow the bandwidth. The exception is when calculated room mode one is close to my custom filter 1 for a particular speaker, then I will zero the calculated.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Jail4CEOs2 thanks for posting your initial findings. They are pretty much what I found when I first tried SO.  

Roughly halving the suggested cuts restored some weight to the bass - and I have a fair sized room, with sealed box ATC speakers not known to boom.  The extra clarity is a bit of an illusion of course as reducing any spot frequency or  range will reveal others, but SO obviously isn’t adding or improving the input, but adjust the effectiveness of the output.  

Here you’ll find more subtle guides to tweaking, such a reducing cuts by a third (numerically, that is, because we all know decibels are logarithmic, so minus 18 can be tweaked to minus 12, say).  To a large extent I still feel we’ve all managed for decades without DSP room manipulation, and I’ve heard some wonderful systems without such tweaks. The brain adjusts remarkably for room effects, which explains why we have no problem identifying voices we know whether they’re in a bathroom, a tunnel or a car. Similarly, musical instruments in a living room or a concert hall are instantly recognisable. 

More recently, I’ve slightly changed my seating position, and remeasured the room, using midpoint dimensions where we have bay windows, for example.  If you’ve the patience then I’m sure you’ll find a likeable result, but I’m not yet entirely convinced it’s as great as some have found. It’s a terrific offering from Linn though, so I applaud the intent. 

Reactions: akamatsu

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online