oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Part of the continuously excellent 'Ninja Tune' stable, Jono McCleery blends folk, electronica and jazz to create something highly accessible but, to my ears, interesting and inventive. He has several superb albums; his 'Pagodes Live' being a stunning recording available to download in WAV format from Ninja Tune's website.

A fairly conservative choice from my collection but an album that I often return to. PS. Listen to ALL of 'Tomorrow'!

From the Ninja Tune website:

Jono McCleery, English singer-songwriter, made his first album Darkest Light independently in 2008 funded by fans. His following release, There Is, was described as "Miles Davis, Massive Attack, John Martyn, Fink, and Radiohead wrapped up in one exquisitely produced album." "Jono's music is timeless. Music that is unperishable, that reflects past, present, and future in an instant.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4pOmoQkq2s4lcr5R5EU3aH

Last edited by a moderator:

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
5021392646299.jpg

Also on Deezer

Spider

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Mar 30, 2015
Chesterfield
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Listened on Spotify at work this morning.

I started off thinking it was quite good, but after about 5 tracks he had me wanting to jump off the nearest bridge.

A bit depressing to listen to.

Sorry Goeff,

I usually like your selections at bake offs etc. This one just didn't do it for me this time.

• Upvote
Reactions: Bazzer

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
One man's meat Tim. Give it another try on the home system, if your mental state can take it!

• Upvote
Reactions: Spider

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Listened on Spotify at work this morning.

I started off thinking it was quite good, but after about 5 tracks he had me wanting to jump off the nearest bridge.

A bit depressing to listen to.

Sorry Goeff,

I usually like your selections at bake offs etc. This one just didn't do it for me this time.
tried it yesterday, and had a very similar reaction. Depressing drone was the first reaction. Like Tim it was background music while working. I will try later, but as tidal don't seem to have it, it will have to be on Spotify in the office.

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can sort of hear how he's aiming for your classic Tim/Jeff Buckley, Nick Drake, John Martyn-esque sound, but it all sounds a bit Starbucks to me. I didn't dig the vocals.

A couple of bright moments (jazzy bit towards end of track 5) and 'Home'.

Mostly I wasn't impressed. Very elegant, though maybe a bit naff. :dunno:

Wouldn't be a fan.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I really like this. For me too, it's an album I return to periodically. Thanks for the reminder! 
At last, someone with taste!

It needs repeated listens on a good system in my opinion as there are a lot of subtleties in there. I first bought a DJ's sample disk on account of the track 'Tomorrow' being so good; it wasn't available anywhere at the time. I was so pleased when I was able to download the WAV version as the quality of the disk I had couldn't reveal everything that was going on in the mastering. 

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tried it again today, same result, so obviously my office system combined with Spotify is rubbish. ;)

I need to enjoy the basic music before I worry about the quality of the mastering. It can be the best recorded and mastered piece of music available, but if I don't get pleasure from listening, it won't get played.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It is all about the music Dudywoxer, you're right, but people in the listening for thread are on Hackett, Tango in the night and Yes still, so who knows!

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Listening again tonight , definitely a late night groove .

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is a guy who won X Factor a year or two back that has a similar voice , I wonder if he had been listening to Jonjo and yes Geoff I wonder if Jonjo has listened to Thom York .

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I think you mean James Arthur. Talented guy who made some very bad PR choices and went away for a while. Big number one this year so looks like he's back.

M

MJ.

I surprised myself a bit with this one, I must say.

Anything Folky, close miked guitar / male voices etc is generally way out of my listening zone but I enjoyed this.

Well recorded and produced, very well played and interesting lyrics, well sung. Seems to be influences of everybody from Guy Garvey (who I don't like), through Nick Drake (who I really don't like) to Ray Lamontagne (who I do quite like).

Chilled and quite mellow and soulful, with enough going on, depth and variation to keep it interesting.

Only slight criticism is that too much mellow becomes morose and the odd more up-tempo / up-beat track would definitely have added to the overall vibe of the Album.

Gave it 3 / 3 but it had been out of 5, it would have been a 3.75.

Currently listening to 'Pagodes Live', which is also rather good.

Good choice, thanks for introducing me to something I was quite sure I disliked Geoff.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think you mean James Arthur. Talented guy who made some very bad PR choices and went away for a while. Big number one this year so looks like he's back.
That's him  :^

I bet you're buzzin' after that game  ;-)

G

As a big fan of introspective music 

, it's hardly a surprise that I really like this. It sounds like I'd imagine a very, very laid back Fink album would sound. Listening on headphones and there's a lot of interesting things going on behind the vocals. 5/5.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online