Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
32 minutes ago, oldius said:

Matthew Halsall - Colour Yes

I consistently recommend Matthew's albums as I find them moving, spiritual and beautifully recorded. He is a jazz trumpeter from Manchester and every album of his is well worth checking out. Here's a sample from this album:

Thanks for that, I like Matthew Halsall also, his On The Go album is also excellent. Not played these for some time so maybe this evening.

Reactions: oldius

Baggawire

Ain't It Funky Now
Wammer Plus
Mar 2, 2010
SE London/NW Kent
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I would also recommend the "Inspirations" album from vocalist Dwight Trible which also features Matthew Halsall.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry Geoff do not have any streaming service so no just going on the description people are adding and being cheap . Some are very much expensive and sadly they are getting ignored .
Well here's an offer for you. You may take or leave it if you wish.

I have 2x chromecast audio's in my drawer. I'd like to keep one... I need to post Lawrence the speaker spikes I bought the wrong size and which I put on spirit of the wam earlier today. Will be doing this monday.

If you'd like to try streaming. PM me your address and I'll post you one. If you like it then keep it and pay me the £22 I paid. If you dont, post it back and you've lost nothing.

You can get lots of free streaming trials - so a risk free go at streaming. 

You will need a 5mm headphone jack to RCA cable to connect it to your amp.

• Upvote
Reactions: StingRay and deggie

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: oldius and deggie

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

I have 2x chromecast audio's in my drawer. I'd like to keep one... I need to post Lawrence the speaker spikes I bought the wrong size and which I put on spirit of the wam earlier today. Will be doing this monday.

If you'd like to try streaming. PM me your address and I'll post you one. If you like it then keep it and pay me the £22 I paid. If you dont, post it back and you've lost nothing.

Thats a good offer andrew go for it ... you,ll enjoy the ride ...... :^

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just discovered this guy, Derrin Nauendorf, he is Australian, I would say folk/rock, singer songwriter, just playing his Wasteland album: 

IMG-20200625-WA0000.jpg

His live albums are reported to be excellent. Not got that far yet. I hope you enjoy.

Here is a link to one of the tracks on YouTube: 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: oldius and bohemian

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
6 hours ago, BeeRay said:

Just discovered this guy, Derrin Nauendorf, he is Australian, I would say folk/rock, singer songwriter, just playing his Wasteland album: 

IMG-20200625-WA0000.jpg

His live albums are reported to be excellent. Not got that far yet. I hope you enjoy.

Here is a link to one of the tracks on YouTube: 

Live At The Boardwalk is an excellent Nauendorf live album.  I really love it.

Where 2 Men Go Tonight is on The Rattling Wheel album - also very good.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Hi Pete a big thank you for your generous offer . I have everything I need in my system to stream any of the current services and have done free trials on both Deezer and Tidal . Both were ended early by me as they just did not have the music I wanted to listen to and I could not get on with GUI in both cases. My not streaming is a personal choice not a lack of being able to access the services. I have over 59,500 tracks which are rips from CD's I own on my HD and these keep me going . I am quite happy to add things from this list as i said based on what the description of the album is like . But I have to admit I am a stubborn sod and when CD first came out and Vinyl was cheaper I said to anyone who would listen (not that many) that I would never pay more than £10 for a CD . I have kept to this right up to today and let things pass me by until they reduce or I find a cheaper second hand copy . I am still keeping to this so there are some of these and Five Album thread recomendations that I am just passing on .

Reactions: Hartcity and oldius

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Pete a big thank you for your generous offer . I have everything I need in my system to stream any of the current services and have done free trials on both Deezer and Tidal . Both were ended early by me as they just did not have the music I wanted to listen to and I could not get on with GUI in both cases. My not streaming is a personal choice not a lack of being able to access the services. I have over 59,500 tracks which are rips from CD's I own on my HD and these keep me going . I am quite happy to add things from this list as i said based on what the description of the album is like . But I have to admit I am a stubborn sod and when CD first came out and Vinyl was cheaper I said to anyone who would listen (not that many) that I would never pay more than £10 for a CD . I have kept to this right up to today and let things pass me by until they reduce or I find a cheaper second hand copy . I am still keeping to this so there are some of these and Five Album thread recomendations that I am just passing on .
What is GUI?

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It usually means graphical user interface... ;)  
Probably depends on what device you are using, not had any issues using Deezer or Tidal on a desktop or ipad.although Deezer HiFi did have some probems on their desktop. Qobuz was challenging at times. 

Not sure what music Bencat is missing, yes not everything is available but nearly everything on this thread is. Streaming is great for discovering new music and being able to play artists that you have just discovered, such as in my post earlier. I don't think I could live without it now. If I was to buy a large enough collection of music it would cost £1,000s even buying used, some cds are very expensive, some over £200 each I looking to buy.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
GUI is indeed Graphical User Interface and these depend on how easy you find them to work which is personal . I am not saying Streaming services are not great or that many love them . I am just saying not for me I do not see any point in paying for  additional music when I own so much that I am not able to hear it all now .

Missing well a good chunk of of Brazillian , Chilean , African , Indian  artists are  just not there , even what i would term mainstream artists have maybe 4/5 albums only when they have a catalogue of over 25 + and of course the track I want is on one that is not there .  Lots of early Soul and R&B atrists from Vanity , Alban and other small US labels . Lots of Reggae artists from 70,s including lots of dub versions . I like a very odd and wide range of music and get quite a number of CD,s that show as not on AccurateRip which means out of all of its users no one has ripped this CD before so I accept that this may well be extreme .

Fully agree with you that it can be costly to get a Library and large number of tracks but as mine has been building since late eigties and i add between 10 - 15 each month I am at the stage now were I could sensibly stop buying more (I know this will not happen) and would struggle to hear my whole library . Less so now but certainly over ten years ago there were huge numbers of second hand CD's on Amazon for 00.01p and up to 1.99p would show pages of music . SecondSpin (now gone) would sell cheap US CD's plus shops in Manchester on Oldham Street (forgotten the name) would be a regular visit and most CD, bought were less than £5 . They also used to do a Lucky Dip bag for £5 which contained I think at least 50 CD's in a black bag . Lots of it was rubbish CD singles but often you would get 5/6 decent albums . Rest went on e-bay on free listings and even if they only sold for 00.50p you made your money back and more .  The hey day of cheap used CD,s seems to be over with prices slowly rising but most of the items bought off this and the Five Albums thread I have had for under £5 including postage so there are still good deals out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
GUI is indeed Graphical User Interface and these depend on how easy you find them to work which is personal . I am not saying Streaming services are not great or that many love them . I am just saying not for me I do not see any point in paying for  additional music when I own so much that I am not able to hear it all now .

Missing well a good chunk of of Brazillian , Chilean , African , Indian  artists are  just not there , even what i would term mainstream artists have maybe 4/5 albums only when they have a catalogue of over 25 + and of course the track I want is on one that is not there .  Lots of early Soul and R&B atrists from Vanity , Alban and other small US labels . Lots of Reggae artists from 70,s including lots of dub versions . I like a very odd and wide range of music and get quite a number of CD,s that show as not on AccurateRip which means out of all of its users no one has ripped this CD before so I accept that this may well be extreme .

Fully agree with you that it can be costly to get a Library and large number of tracks but as mine has been building since late eigties and i add between 10 - 15 each month I am at the stage now were I could sensibly stop buying more (I know this will not happen) and would struggle to hear my whole library . Less so now but certainly over ten years ago there were huge numbers of second hand CD's on Amazon for 00.01p and up to 1.99p would show pages of music . SecondSpin (now gone) would sell cheap US CD's plus shops in Manchester on Oldham Street (forgotten the name) would be a regular visit and most CD, bought were less than £5 . They also used to do a Lucky Dip bag for £5 which contained I think at least 50 CD's in a black bag . Lots of it was rubbish CD singles but often you would get 5/6 decent albums . Rest went on e-bay on free listings and even if they only sold for 00.50p you made your money back and more .  The hey day of cheap used CD,s seems to be over with prices slowly rising but most of the items bought off this and the Five Albums thread I have had for under £5 including postage so there are still good deals out there.
Yes I agree cheap cd days are over, not just the cd prices but the postage now has gone up. I used buy a few for 1p plus postage. But most of the ones I wanted last year were expensive, hardly any were below £5 and some were over £10 and some were over £200. When out of print prices can be very high. Last cd I bought was from the USA but I won't do that again as got stung with duty and PO handling fee, if I had know I would not have bothered plus it is now on all the streaming sites.

I don't much mainstream stuff, I do play a bit of world music, such as Rokia Traore and Mari Boine, most of thier albums are available. 

Maybe you could recommend a few albums?

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I agree cheap cd days are over, not just the cd prices but the postage now has gone up. I used buy a few for 1p plus postage. But most of the ones I wanted last year were expensive, hardly any were below £5 and some were over £10 and some were over £200. When out of print prices can be very high. Last cd I bought was from the USA but I won't do that again as got stung with duty and PO handling fee, if I had know I would not have bothered plus it is now on all the streaming sites.

I don't much mainstream stuff, I do play a bit of world music, such as Rokia Traore and Mari Boine, most of thier albums are available. 

Maybe you could recommend a few albums
You really do not want to start this but here goes , rather than albums lets just do a list of artists and you can then find those and see what it is available . I bought a CD today for 00.03 p and £1.26 postage so do not give up looking .

Salif Keita , Fela Kuti , Femi Kuti , Wasa Diop , Baba Maal , Ali Faka Toure , Tinarawen , Radio Tarifa , Idan Rachiel , Ofra Haza , Osibisa , Ruben Gonzalez , Compay Segundo , Mano Chao , Les Negresse Vertes , Gogol Bordello , Denge Fever , Dennis Bouvell (AKA Blackbeard) , Mighty Diamonds , Toots and the Maytals , Mouth Music , Ethiopiques (compilation of Ethiopian Jazz from 70/80's ) , 9 Bach , Achanak , Afel Bocum , Africando,Afrodizz , Augustus Pablo .

This could go on for pages but will stop here and let you work through some of these and see if you like any of them.

Sgt Pepper

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2017
Newcastle Upon tyne
AKA
Barry (Baz)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Amazing album from a fantastic band. Willow Child - Paradise & Nadir:

IlUrPd3.jpg

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You really do not want to start this but here goes , rather than albums lets just do a list of artists and you can then find those and see what it is available . I bought a CD today for 00.03 p and £1.26 postage so do not give up looking .

Salif Keita , Fela Kuti , Femi Kuti , Wasa Diop , Baba Maal , Ali Faka Toure , Tinarawen , Radio Tarifa , Idan Rachiel , Ofra Haza , Osibisa , Ruben Gonzalez , Compay Segundo , Mano Chao , Les Negresse Vertes , Gogol Bordello , Denge Fever , Dennis Bouvell (AKA Blackbeard) , Mighty Diamonds , Toots and the Maytals , Mouth Music , Ethiopiques (compilation of Ethiopian Jazz from 70/80's ) , 9 Bach , Achanak , Afel Bocum , Africando,Afrodizz , Augustus Pablo .

This could go on for pages but will stop here and let you work through some of these and see if you like any of them.
Thanks for those, too late last night to play, I will have a listen later today. I do know quite a few of them already. Can you recommend any albums with lots of drums, African or Brazilian?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online