Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's a lot to be said for medium volumes with really good equipment. Amplifiers can work entirely in Class A for a start.
I find this too. Since my system moved into the "higher end" I find the resolution and clarity so good that I can listen at lower levels if I want.

Back in the day I used to have to really crank up my "mid-fi" system otherwise it sounded flat and very boring.

AKAIK horns are the best for low-level listening, which would match well to your nice 300B amp?

Last edited:

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I find this too. Since my system moved into the "higher end" I find the resolution and clarity so good that I can listen at lower levels if I want.

Back in the day I used to have to really crank up my "mid-fi" system otherwise it sounded flat and very boring.

AKAIK I read that horns are the best for low-level listening, which would match well to your nice 300B amp?
So...how come you are always changing your kit ? When does the satisfaction begin, and dissatisfaction stop ? :)

Reactions: newlash09 and DomT

BalooToo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting thread, I now live in a top floor flat and am very mindful of disturbing the neighbours. I am trying to craft a system around low volume levels and small amounts of bass. However I think the biggest change I have made is in the music I listen too, a lot more simple vocal music without the driving baselines that I still love. I have explored music that I would never of listened to in the past and it has expanded my musical tastes.

My personal opinion is that certain types of music simply have to be played loud, when I get the urge for punk or even Floyd then I get the headphones on, it is simply a situation I have to accept. But when I know my neighbours out then I get some time to crank up the volume!

I should say my system is very modest consisting of a Rotel Tribute amp (my beloved Kraken is ill) and Monopulse 32s speakers placed on stone slabs in an attempt to stop the bass reverberating through the floor. I was listening to a lot of female vocals last night like Tapestry and it sounded very good never going over a registered 60db on the phone app I use.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So where do I go from here?

Are my ideas about speakers and amps having a point where they start to "work" correct? And do sensitive speakers work sooner as the volume is turned up?

Should I be looking for more (!) sensitive speakers to make the most of my compromises? And if so, what are the options?
Cynically - have you thought of headphones? I experimented for a while but I really don't like them much.

Yes, I think you are right in looking at high sensitivity speakers and, judging from how you describe your room problems, prhaps very directional ones. This leads me to suggest horns such as Avantgarde. These offer exceptionally good / emgaging / even exciting low volume sound and are the most tolerant type of speaker regarding room acoustics. The disadvantage of course is their small sweet spot.
Peter

Reactions: hificricketboy

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's one way of looking at it, but not what I'd want for myself. I prefer a dip in highs and lows to compromising the clarity and tonality of the majority of the frequencies. There is no total accuracy in sound reproduction - you just have choices and the choices have consequences.
Absolutely do what you enjoy most, which includes if you find applying a bass or treble boost negatively impacts frequencies in between too much. This will very much come down to the quality of the hardware used.

I'd say the point in bold if factually incorrect but is something a little different to what is actually being discussed here.

Juancho

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2014
London
AKA
David
I found low level listening with my Klipsch Cornwalls very satsfying never mind whether they're powered by an A and R A60 of one of my valve pairs of monoblocks. They're the first speaker I've owned that does not seem to lose dynamics, bass or treble resolution at lower volumes and I'm tending to listen at much lower levels now. Also while they produce ample bass it's not of the deepest floor transmitting variety

hificricketboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 21, 2008
W Midlands
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

AKAIK horns are the best for low-level listening, which would match well to your nice 300B amp?

Cynically - have you thought of headphones? I experimented for a while but I really don't like them much.

Yes, I think you are right in looking at high sensitivity speakers and, judging from how you describe your room problems, prhaps very directional ones. This leads me to suggest horns such as Avantgarde. These offer exceptionally good / emgaging / even exciting low volume sound and are the most tolerant type of speaker regarding room acoustics. The disadvantage of course is their small sweet spot.
Peter
We share listening so headphones are a no, no. Plus I'm not keen.

You both mention horns. I have heard some at shows and always loved the way the sound flowed. There's a pair of Unos available s/h over in Bungay. I've also seen a pair of Tunes available. Neither is out of reach. Unfortunately my bollocks would be if I actually bought them. SWMBO doesn't like the horn (on the speaker!), which is a great shame because I think they look fantastic!

Reactions: enrae8 and deggie

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting thread, I now live in a top floor flat and am very mindful of disturbing the neighbours. I am trying to craft a system around low volume levels and small amounts of bass. However I think the biggest change I have made is in the music I listen too, a lot more simple vocal music without the driving baselines that I still love. I have explored music that I would never of listened to in the past and it has expanded my musical tastes.

My personal opinion is that certain types of music simply have to be played loud, when I get the urge for punk or even Floyd then I get the headphones on, it is simply a situation I have to accept. But when I know my neighbours out then I get some time to crank up the volume!

I should say my system is very modest consisting of a Rotel Tribute amp (my beloved Kraken is ill) and Monopulse 32s speakers placed on stone slabs in an attempt to stop the bass reverberating through the floor. I was listening to a lot of female vocals last night like Tapestry and it sounded very good never going over a registered 60db on the phone app I use.
What is the baseline figure when everything is silent in your room?

I have just tried listening with a peak of 60db & I found it very difficult & not really enjoyable due to straining to follow certain passages.

We are not attached & have no perceptible noise from outside yet the baseline is 41db; in normal listening I get lows of 61db, highs of pushing 80db & an average of 73db, it doesn't sound loud at all & I could comfortably go much higher if I wished. This is using a phone app so mught not be the most accurate, but still.

deggie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2011
edge of birmingham
AKA
keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Now is it not possible to try ....Near Field ,,,,,listening ....i have done this when the other ha;f is in bed ........trying this way may give you ideas as where to go .....just an idea its free ,,,,only a little effort required.........Happy new year .

Reactions: MartinC

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I have just tried listening with a peak of 60db & I found it very difficult & not really enjoyable due to straining to follow certain passages.

We are not attached & have no perceptible noise from outside yet the baseline is 41db; in normal listening I get lows of 61db, highs of pushing 80db & an average of 73db, it doesn't sound loud at all & I could comfortably go much higher if I wished. This is using a phone app so mught not be the most accurate, but still.
Mine is 24db, 60db is fine but generally I play average 70-80 level with peaks going higher.

A more powerful amp. may help.

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mine is 24db, 60db is fine but generally I play average 70-80 level with peaks going higher.

A more powerful amp. may help.
Thanks, but I have no problems with my listening levels & my amp has way more power than I will ever need. I was just trying to replicate how Baloo666 was listening is all.
24db is mighty low isn't it for ambient noise? As I said we have no road noise or any footfall issues, we can make a lot of noise here without upsetting anyone at all, but I do try to keep it reasonable.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, but I have no problems with my listening levels & my amp has way more power than I will ever need. I was just trying to replicate how Baloo666 was listening is all.
24db is mighty low isn't it for ambient noise? As I said we have no road noise or any footfall issues, we can make a lot of noise here without upsetting anyone at all, but I do try to keep it reasonable.
It is quiet but not unusual, with the central heating boiler on its about 25db.

The amp. part was meant more for the OP. I found a lot passive systems have a sweet spot. It's not so much about power as control.

BalooToo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Just tried it with nothing on in my room the average12.3 db with a max of 45db when a motorbike went by. Tried Chris Jones Smoke and Noise and sounds great at average 49bd with peaks of 63db. Using app called Sound Meter on the phone. Nearfield listening with speakers about 2 meters away measuring volume from listening point.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If class a/b could be an option then I think that the latest Accuphase E270 and especially E380 have one of the most detailed yet rich midranges that I have heard from a class A/B integrated amp. I ended up buying an Audio Research DSI200 (passive plus class D integrated) that’s again detailed yet smooth but different sounding to the Accuphase.

I mention these amps as your speakers are somewhat special.

Otherwise a pair of Tannoy Eatons would work well in that space and may work with your current amp.

Last edited:

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And an alternative amp could be the Norma 140. There is a chap on here called @marko who had a ton of valve amps and moved to this Norma amp with Audio Note speakers and he seems very happy. By contrast to the Accuphase the Norma had a warmer smoother sound.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online