Speaker / system suggestions for low level listening / minimal bass?

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you haven't seen it, this is worth watching, as Darko talks about integrating the KC62 with both the Passive and Active LS50s - and the effect that it has.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all the further replies with your thoughts and suggestions.

I will try and home demo as much equipment as possible before pulling the trigger. On paper I still think the LS50w ii represents the best value for money.
Be aware that not everybody loves the LS50 series. I don't and I've read other opinions that are pretty cool. It's not a speaker I could live with. I'd need a smoother and more organic overall sound.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Be aware that not everybody loves the LS50 series. I don't and I've read other opinions that are pretty cool. It's not a speaker I could live with. I'd need a smoother and more organic overall sound.
Absolutely - it is a speaker that should not be bought blind.

I too like a smoother, more organic sound - hence why I have Harbeth, owned Class A and Arcam Amps, prefer speaker brands like Spendor and Sonus Faber (especially the older versions)....and love Valves and Hybrids.

We all have different definitions as to what constitutes "Smooth and Organic" - but in my room, combined with Arcam and a Linn DS, IMO there is no forwardness in the presentation, otherwise it would have been out the door forthwith. This is absolutely not the experience of others, so the advising of caution is wise - especially with the Active version, as you have no "wiggle room" over Amp and Streamer.

The Meta version has further improved the performance - Have you heard this version?

Last edited:

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve got a pair of the original LS50 Wireless that I use in a large room with a pair of subs. I listen to them at a louder volume than I do my other HiFi systems according to the sound level measured by an app on my phone. More like 82-83 db average instead of 75-76 db average, although subjectively it doesn’t sound like I’m listening louder. So I’m not sure that they are good for low level listening, although I can’t say I’ve actually tried. They seem quite demanding of the room and have improved a lot as I’ve added acoustic treatment. I wonder if that is the reason some people find them bright, when they sound pretty neutral in my room.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We all have different definitions as to what constitutes "Smooth and Organic" - but in my room, combined with Arcam and a Linn DS, IMO there is no forwardness in the presentation, otherwise it would have been out the door forthwith.
Sounds about right to me. The LS50 series is very clean and detailed, which is probably why it has its fans, but it stops there for me. Call me old fashioned but I still like polypropylene cones as in the LS3/5A. Smoother, easier to design for and something you can live with. We've now been through all kinds of stiffer cone materials like aluminium, kevlar and various other ingenious types and sometimes they work and sometimes they just sound bright, for all their clarity. That's a killer for classical music, opera and voices.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds about right to me. The LS50 series is very clean and detailed, which is probably why it has its fans, but it stops there for me. Call me old fashioned but I still like polypropylene cones as in the LS3/5A. Smoother, easier to design for and something you can live with. We've now been through all kinds of stiffer cone materials like aluminium, kevlar and various other ingenious types and sometimes they work and sometimes they just sound bright, for all their clarity. That's a killer for classical music, opera and voices.
The character of the LS50 is hugely affected by the preceding equipment - so IME it can sound overly clean and analytical; or organic enough to sound correct with Classical Music (which makes up around 70% of my listening).

For me, the ability to make Classical Music sound authentic and enjoyable, is the litmus test for any system that gets pride of place with me.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try not to buy blind. Get a home demo if possible. Unless you’re prepared to move the kit on (usually at a loss). Our theories as to what works ‘on paper’ don’t always play out as expected.
Yes, don't buy speakers new without a home demo first. Buying used is often better as the price will be half of their new price and if it doesn't entirely suit your room, you can always sell on for little if any loss.

Asking opinions is often counter-productive as forum members will inevitably and understandably be biased, usually towards the kit they use themselves! Likewise watching Youtube reviews from some self-appointed and doubtless unqualified "reviewer" is as likely to lead you astray as to be of help.

My first port of call is reviews from long-established and respected magazines such as Stereophile or HFN. Their reviewers are genuinely experiences in the industry and should be unbiased. Their reviews will no doubt have been moderated by the Editor or another staff members, so errors, unqualified opinions, etc can be avoided in what we read after publication. Even then, don't buy speakers unheard in your own home as the reviewer's room will be different from yours.

Electronics less variable as they are not affected by room acoustics, but amp choice does depend to some extent on the chosen speaker, so it's a matter of which you buy first, especially if starting from scratch without any existing kit. If you have an existing amp that will soon be changed, even that should give you the opportunity to assess the demo speaker - or ask the dealer to loan you an amp as well as the speakers.

AndyCC72

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 4, 2021
Bexley, Kent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The new Dynaudio actives (the model name escapes me) would be a good
alternative to the LS50W, they also have Dirac built in, which IMO will improve SQ in the majority of domestic settings.

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi guys.

It looks like I'll be moving to a flat as previous planned move has fallen through; I will have neighbours both above and below.

In a bid to get a decent sounding system that only I can hear I'm after something that sounds good a lower volume levels. I presume something a bit more bass light would be a benefit?

Assuming the move goes ahead the room will be 20' x 13'. The speakers will be firing across the room width ways; seating position around 10' from speakers.

I'll be starting from scratch. Source will be purely music streaming (hopefully higher res & lossless). I would like to be able to hook the system up to the TV for general tv/film watching.

I'm keen to hear the KEF LS50W II. Any suggestions much appreciated. Prefer to spend under £3k and listen to all types of music but predominantly rock based and electronic.

Many thanks
How about a set of JBL of some sort I often think there speakers all sound ok at low levels ,3 k is a good wedge ,how about getting a go at say £1000 see how it goes . You might find a set of sleepers somewhere . Hope it goes well .

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quad IIs and Klipsch Legacy speakers are a really great combination. A friend on here has this set ups.

JayC

Wammer
Dec 3, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try a quality amp with a loudness button, a game changer for low volume listening.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.