Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just changed pre-amps from my Emm Labs to an Ayon Eris. I just felt like a change and in the fullness of time I will go back to my Emm Labs.
The Ayon Eris is a valve based pre-amp. It has one Balanced input (XLR connector) and the others are all single ended (RCA). It has a couple of outputs (RCA) one of which I have connected to my subs.

It is not quite in the same league as my Emm Labs and Daniel Hertz preamps but the sound is warm, and I put this down to the 6H30 valves.

The unit has been in storage for about three years.

Here is the problem: I am getting an extraneous kind of hissing. This only manifests itself when using the volume control - either via the remote, or with the volume control on the unit itself. Actually even just touching the volume control on the unit induces the sound. There is a ground switch on the rear but that has no impact on the problem.

The sound is not quite a hiss but rather a scratchy sound, similar to sandpaper. When I put my ear to the speakers I cannot detect anything from the tweeters, mainly from the midrange driver, and just noticeable from the woofers.

All connections (Sub, Amp, dac, and source components) come from the same power board.

Any suggestions?

myles

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds to me like the volume pot needs a clean. Carefully spray deoxit on the rear of the pot and give it a good turning up and down.

Reactions: Andrei

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whilst in there have a look at the soldering of wires/pcb to the pot. If it crackles when touched (not rotated) it just might be a dry joint. Vigorous pot and valve base cleaning will more probably be a solution though.

Reactions: Andrei

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks guys, I will open up the beast and check the solder joints and do the deoxit thing on the pot.

(Pot and joint in the same sentence - I'm innocent m'lud)

• Haha
Reactions: myles

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here is the scoundrel. Very small solder joint - less than half the size of a match head. Gave it some blasts with deoxit and the beast is reawakened. Also Deoxit on a few other places. I suspect this is a temporary fix, and I will have to find someone with a sharp eye and a fine soldering iron, to resolder the joint.

As suggested by Lurch I took the opportunity to clean the valve pins. I also found some sorbothane footers from an unused TT and it is singing beautifully.

Thanks for the help ! !! !!! !! !

Attachments

• DSC_0116 - Copy c.jpg
    DSC_0116 - Copy c.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles