Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shostakovich 4th symphony - Rostropovich. 

I hadn't expected to like this, but thought I'd check out the opening. And ended up listening to the whole recording. Impressed. 

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
Probably not worth starting a separate Allegri / Palestrina thread for this, but I've been listening to the below versions of Miserere and Stabat Mater, along with other assorted pieces. My least favourite is the Willcocks/King's College although I know it's considered to be one of the classic recordings. I just found them a little dull (and the Stabat Mater nearly put me to sleep, not in a good way).

The first Decca collection was lively and enjoyable. The second Tallis Scholars/Phillips had a different much slower take on the Miserere which was nice, and I liked the Mundy and Palestrina pieces too. Will be adding those to my collection.

@JANDL100@Camverton@Boxer@Pianoman @musicbox any thoughts on these?

Last edited by a moderator:

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is off to a hauntingly beautiful start. 

Bach's solo violin sonatas transcribed for string quartet and played by the Brodsky Quartet. 
I’ve come across these transcriptions before and quite like them; Bach’s music transcribes so well.

I do think that they are a very pale experience compared to the solo violin, but in their own right are, perhaps, an easier listen. Sort of Bach with a Santa outfit and yo ho ho cuddly; alright for one day of the year but too much for the rest of the time!

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Allegri Miserere is, of course, the most extraordinary work and one of the few of its genre that I’ll listen to willingly. The Tallis Scholars recording with, iirc, Alison Stamp is indeed a landmark recording and a thing of wonder. Ash Wednesday, when the Allegri is performed, is the only time of the year when I don’t switch off R3 when Choral Evensong comes on!

(BTW, I see Klassik is contributing to these threads. Is he still referring to himself in the third person? If so I’ll continue to keep him switched off! Plenty of other interesting comments without putting up with that.)

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmm, yes, Klassik is contributing here.  I've switched him back on for that, but I'm starting to regret that decision!

Perhaps we could ask him to cease and desist his 3rd person style, at least in this oh so refined and decorous little corner of the forum? 

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You do seem to be going through a "Kick me harder" phase in your musical preferences! 
😀. I know I appear to be cuddly, some of my neighbours seem to think I’m Santa lookalike, but it is just an illusion - as you may have noticed 😉. I expect Santa is the sort of chap who’d have mushy valve amps to listen to mushy Strauss - Richard and or Johann. Mind you an elf full of distortion might make them vaguely listenable, although that really would need a Christmas miracle!!!

When I heard that a friend in the next village was looking for a santa for her craft fair I gave my beard a good trimming and gelled my longish hair for fear that she might turn her very persuasive attention in my direction - bah humbug!

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shostakovich 4th symphony - Rostropovich. 

I hadn't expected to like this, but thought I'd check out the opening. And ended up listening to the whole recording. Impressed. 
I've seen this performed live twice now. Always blows me away. Figuratively and somewhat literally with those piccolos.

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rousseau was an amateur musician, of course, so perhaps this should not be a big surprise.
Composer dear boy, a composer! And a professional one; he actually got paid for the performances of Le devin du village. Which was performed in front of the King of France no less! Strangely in a sort of Satie-like way, he refused a royal pension on the back of it.

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Composer dear boy, a composer! And a professional one; he actually got paid for the performances of Le devin du village. Which was performed in front of the King of France no less! Strangely in a sort of Satie-like way, he refused a royal pension on the back of it.
And Rousseau wrote his own libretto!  Then again, of course he wrote his own libretto.  xD

Perhaps Klassik has under-estimated Jean-Jacques Rousseau's composing career.  Nonetheless, Rousseau's composing career is fairly mediocre compared to fellow polymath François-André Danican Philidor.  Seeing how Philidor and Rousseau were in the same social circle along with Voltaire, perhaps Voltaire should be asked to judge their composing skills.  ;)

Klassik has considered this and will consider it further.  If Klassik does do this, wouldn't the rest of the Wigwam be rather confused if they find out?  xD

Reactions: EddieRUKidding

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah, but you see we all know who J.J. Rousseau is just by saying 'Rousseau'. Nobody knows François-André Danican Philidor from Adam..and his name is too daft to remember anyway.

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
13 minutes ago, Klassik said:

And Rousseau wrote his own libretto!  Then again, of course he wrote his own libretto.  xD

Perhaps Klassik has under-estimated Jean-Jacques Rousseau's composing career.  Nonetheless, Rousseau's composing career is fairly mediocre compared to fellow polymath François-André Danican Philidor.  Seeing how Philidor and Rousseau were in the same social circle along with Voltaire, perhaps Voltaire should be asked to judge their composing skills.  ;)

No...it is about meeting on a level playing field ?  Social situations dont usually require mystique...unless of course you want to confuse,  or draw attention to yourself ?   :cafe:    

*Veils removed please. Chop chop !    xD

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Klassikhas considered this and will consider it further.  If Klassik does do this, wouldn't the rest of the Wigwam be rather confused if they find out? "

No, you're safe, who else but us weirdos is going to look in the Classical Music section? Their friends would ostracise them! 

• Haha
Reactions: Klassik

EddieRUKidding

Eddie RU Kidding
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Oz
AKA
Eddie R U Kidding p:
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is this try to attack Klassik day, does not seem to have worked very well from a 1st or 3rd person point of view  :doh:

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah, but you see we all know who J.J. Rousseau is just by saying 'Rousseau'. Nobody knows François-André Danican Philidor from Adam..and his name is too daft to remember anyway.
Blame Louis XIII for this.  Well, not completely.  François-André Danican Philidor came from a family of famous musicians including a great-grandfather (if Klassik is counting correctly :| ) named Jean Danican, but Louis XIII kind of changed Jean's name due to his musical skill:

Philidor was a later addition to the family name. Jean Danican Philidor was given the nickname of Philidor by Louis XIII because his oboe playing reminded the king of an Italian virtuoso oboist coming from Siena named Filidori.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/François-André_Danican_Philidor

In addition to all of that, there were several other Philidors involved in music/composing including François-André Danican Philidor's older brother, Anne Danican Philidor.  Yes, a brother named Anne.  xD

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Danican_Philidor

Anyway, chess players know the name François-André Danican Philidor.  ;)

No...it is about meeting on a level playing field ?  Social situations dont usually require mystique...unless of course you want to confuse,  or draw attention to yourself ?   :cafe:    

*Veils removed please. Chop chop !    xD
@Klassikhas considered this and will consider it further.  If Klassik does do this, wouldn't the rest of the Wigwam be rather confused if they find out? "

No, you're safe, who else but us weirdos is going to look in the Classical Music section? Their friends would ostracise them! 
There is a good reason for Klassik's illeism at the Wigwam.  Granted, it's not particularly related to the classical music forum.  In other parts of the Wigwam, there are some members who claimed to have read Klassik's posts when either they didn't read them carefully or they're too daft to understand simple concepts.  They then assume that Klassik said things Klassik did not say.  :S

Since switching to the third-person, these people have either stopped reading Klassik's posts or they have been forced to read them more carefully.  The previous issue of confusion has been greatly reduced.  Klassik considers the use of this method to be a success. 

Such measures may not be necessary in the highly-esteemed company of the classical music forum where Klassik has not had the aforementioned problems.  Still, one never knows who might come in and make erroneous assumptions about Klassik's enjoyment of Carl Ditters von Dittersdorf bass concertos.  :/

Is this try to attack Klassik day, does not seem to have worked very well from a 1st or 3rd person point of view  :doh:
Klassik thinks the real reason for the jabs is Klassik's discussion of the harpsichord and French music from famous French people (or French-Swiss if one simply must).  This, especially the French bit, makes one a large target.  xD

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I gave the Schulhoff 5 Stücke für Streichquartett a spin this evening. They're on a CD with quartet works by Zemlinsky and Kreisler.

They're short, individual pieces, so there's no movement linkage with key signature or other structure. This is number 4: the marvellous Alla Tango milonga (even though it's not a real tango!)

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I gave the Schulhoff 5 Stücke für Streichquartett a spin this evening. They're on a CD with quartet works by Zemlinsky and Kreisler.

They're short, individual pieces, so there's no movement linkge with key signature or other structure. This is number 4: the marvellous Alla Tango milonga (eve though it's not a real tango!)
This is pretty good.  Klassik might prefer the 'Czeca' even more though.

Klassik also gave the Kreisler String Quartet in A minor a listen from that recording.  Klassik has heard that Kreisler string quartet before, but it was quite an old recording.  It was so old that Klassik believes Kreisler himself was performing in the quartet.  :eek:   Anyway, Klassik didn't much enjoy the quartet from those old recordings except for the last movement, but Klassik has greater appreciation for the quartet with the more modern performance.  That's a good album in Klassik's opinion.

• Upvote
Reactions: Le Baron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.