Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fellow listeners,

I am demoing a considerable number of speakers and trying to put together some tracks for classical music comparison.  Just for kicks, I started with  Eine Kleine Nacht Musik because it is so recognizable. Then I chose Sir Neville Mariner and his Academy of St. martin in the Fields orchestra based on reputation. Needless to say, there were multiple entries and I chose

and

IMG_0163.JPG  

The Philips recording is far superior to the EMI.  It has a greater sense of scale, and clarity, but really displays the room/local/hall in which it was recorded. 

So are there some tips for knowing which labels to choose, which composers, which orchestras etc.  OR how to better enter the search terms on Tidal.  I do realize Tidal has some catalogue issues with Classical and I know what I am asking can't be easy to explain without having years of experience with Classical, but especially hunting for it on Tidal.

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You've just discovered how difficult it can often be to select a classical work to suit your ears from the often umpteen recordings of the same.
Your post illustrates well.
Marriner & ASMF recordings are well regarded & they do have some outstanding records.
Sorry, don't do Tidal but big labels such as DG, Decca, EMI & Philips are usually good. Also try Naxos, Chandos & Harmonia Mundi & others.
It's often a case of just trying stuff out to see if it appeals.
Good luck.

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You've just discovered how difficult it can often be to select a classical work to suit your ears from the often umpteen recordings of the same.
Your post illustrates well.
Marriner & ASMF recordings are well regarded & they do have some outstanding records.
Sorry, don't do Tidal but big labels such as DG, Decca, EMI & Philips are usually good. Also try Naxos, Chandos & Harmonia Mundi & others.
It's often a case of just trying stuff out to see if it appeals.
Good luck.

I figured as much.  Thanks for the help though.    :)

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@ChemMan Also, if you pick a work and then Google "What are the best recordings of.....", you usually get a list of stuff to try.

Sometimes, try searching Tidal under a Composer or an Artist, rather than a Work.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@ChemMan Also, if you pick a work and then Google "What are the best recordings of.....", you usually get a list of stuff to try.

Sometimes, try searching Tidal under a Composer or an Artist, rather than a Work.
Thanks, that is a good Google tip.  

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The cataloging of classical recordings on Tidal isn't always systematic, compared to Spotify. For instance, if you are trying to find Manfred Honeck's Pittsburgh Symphony recordings of LvB 3, 5 and 7 Symphonies, the artist is listed as Pittsburgh Orchestra. Honeck is uncredited.

SS

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh, you're still around Rabski! :hug:

Wine connoisseur married to lovely Belgian iirc. :flowers:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh, you're still around Rabski! :hug:

Wine connoisseur married to lovely Belgian iirc. :flowers:
Lovely Belgian, tick.

Still around, tick.

Wine? Alas, no longer :D

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rabski a teetotaller... doesn't compute yet lol.

Your memory's good too. I left the flowers and had a major career shift in 2018. Now in engineering and transport signalling. Steep learning curve and a lot of pain but the job's super secure amidst economic turbulence.

Finally have some free time and oddly found my way into the Tent. See ya around. :D

SS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online