Classical bLog Cabin

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
As per Chris @bohemian, listening to Shostakovich's Ballet Suite from The Bolt.

A bit of a curate's egg for me, as I don't really do "jolly". It's kind of Stravinskian as well. And I don't, for the most part, do Stravinsky either! 

But I did enjoy some of it.
From what I've heard of Shosti's more sprightly moments, I was expecting not to like this. I liked the overture to the Ballet Suite though, and some other parts (e.g. first half of part iv, and some of the other pieces) were enjoyable too. An entertaining enough listen overall though not one I feel the need to come back to particularly. It was nice to hear Shostakovich at his more lighthearted though!

Last edited by a moderator:

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
All of these were lovely! I've always been a fan of Gregorian monk chanting and the Isabel B sets were excellent additions to that sort of genre. Look forward to checking out @Klassik's recs as well. Also, now I know where Dead Can Dance got their influences from ;)

I just realised, I've come across her before, months ago. The Petros Shoujounian guy again! 

This is a lovely album.
Isabel who? 

More information needed!! 

Edit; I found her!
I love the distinctly non-western tonalities of Armenian music. 

Here some fascinating string quartets by Petros Shoujounian. 

Heart breakingly beautiful to my ears.

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
I've never heard of baroque composer Christoph Schaffrath, but I'm really enjoying this album (for the 4th or 5th time), superb sound quality, too.
I wanted to like this, I really did, especially the oboe sonata (oi loik me a bit of oboe oi do... ) (not sure what that was) but.. harpsichord.. just can't do it.

Trivia time - one of the only times I got in trouble at school was on a trip to Hampton Court (I think) when I was about 6-7 and we had to sit and listen to someone play the harpsichord (I guess to show use what olde instruments were) and I got the giggles at how ridiculous it sounded and couldn't stop laughing, and had to go up to the player afterwards and apologise!

• Haha
Reactions: JANDL100

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
Yes I love that, that's a perfect description.

I know what you mean about liking a bit of a sharp touch, but there's just something about the tinny, clanging sound that sets my teeth on edge and makes my hair stand on end.

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I love that, that's a perfect description.

I know what you mean about liking a bit of a sharp touch, but there's just something about the tinny, clanging sound that sets my teeth on edge and makes my hair stand on end.
I do understand, but as a recent convert I have to regard Beecham as outrageous (perhaps he needs a dose of his pills) and sharp and tinny? Get yourself an m-scaler to resolve those transients properly 😜. I used to hate the harpsichord, except when played by Richard Burnett on visits to the wonderful Finchcocks in Kent, but I have been converted by Trevor Pinnock and now much prefer to listen to the Bach Partitas on Harpsichord. Definitely an acquired taste, and I’m glad to have lived long enough to acquire it!

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
Always happy to give it another go (I do try periodically as I feel that any True Classical Fan has an appreciation for harpsichord). I think I do actually have a Pinnock CD which I like, although the harpsichords are accompanied by a lot of other warm sounding instruments so it's not unbearable ;)

An M-scaler - one of those very expensive Chord things? If you'd like to lend me yours I'd be more than willing to give it a go ;)

Reactions: Camverton

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bach’s 5th Brandenburg, Pinnock’s 1st recording is good introduction to copulating pussies, sorry harpsichord. You can almost imagine the hugely talented performers smiling genially as they hand the parts to each other.

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Klassik cannot relate.  Klassik has always enjoyed the sound of the harpsichord.  Of course, not all harpsichords sound the same.  There is some variance between Flemish, French, German, Italian, and so forth harpsichords.  There is also the lute-harpsichord, but that's a whole different matter.  :eek:   Certainly the way harpsichords are recorded can make a major difference.  Some close-miking techniques may yield a more mechanical sounding result.  :S

Klassik cannot impart any advice on how to enjoy the harpsichord.  josh either likes it or josh does not.  xD   In many ways, the piano and harpsichord are an imperfect accompaniment instrument in many cases as the sound of it can be dominant.  For Baroque music, something like the theorbo might be a more logical instrument for accompaniment, but that would not probably not work so well for the Schaffrath oboe sonata Klassik heard as there is more complexity to the bass part that naturally lends itself to the harpsichord.  From what Klassik knows of Schaffrath, Schaffrath was a harpsichordist himself and wrote a lot of music for the instrument so perhaps that explains the bass part for that work.

Nonetheless, Klassik did listen to a Schaffrath harpsichord concerto in E-flat and it was a pretty good Galant-style listen.  The Andante was a bit dull, but Klassik may have his dull bits at times as well.  :p

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
There is some variance between Flemish, French, German, Italian, and so forth harpsichords.  There is also the lute-harpsichord
Interesting, but I'm afraid it's going to have to remain academic for me 😛

Klassik did listen to a Schaffrath harpsichord concerto in E-flat and it was a pretty good Galant-style listen.
Thanks, I skipped through the piece and did like what I heard... apart from the harpsichord ;)

Warning to josh, there's harpsichord bass here as well, but perhaps it's less prominent.
Now with this piece, the harpsichord was tolerable as you suggested, due to the reduced prominence. But unfortunately I couldn't really stand the rest of the piece!

Appreciate the education though :)

• Haha
Reactions: Klassik

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Harpsichords? I like 'em. In moderation. 

Although, for example, the full Goldberg Variations on a harpsichord can be a bit of a struggle. An hour+ of spangly-spang can be too much of a good thing. 

But I have problems with flutes. They're OK in an orchestral context, adding an interesting flash of tonal colour. But as a solo instrument? Nope. Just irritating rather than unpleasant. 

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This a tough crowd here.  No love for the flute or harpsichord?  :eek:  

Although, for example, the full Goldberg Variations on a harpsichord can be a bit of a struggle. An hour+ of spangly-spang can be too much of a good thing.
If JANDL100 thinks the harpsichord is "spangly-spang", try listening to music for Jew's harp.  :eek:   Perhaps the king of the Jew's harp is Johann Georg Albrechtsberger, the famed composer who taught other famed composers such as Hummel, Reicha, Moscheles, and Beethoven.  Here is one of Albrechtsberger's concertos for Jew's harp and mandora:

Klassik quite likes that one.  No, really, Klassik does like it.  It's in Klassik's CD collection.  xD

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmm, yes, that Albrechtsberger Jews Harp concerto is a new one on me, and I have to confess that I laughed at its first entry. That's quite fun. It kind of reminded me of the first experiments with a Moog synthesiser. 

Bassoon is another one for me that I struggle a bit with. I've only come across one composer who can reliably write extended exposed bassoon lines really convincingly - Zelenka. 

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Harpsichords? I like 'em. In moderation. 

But I have problems with flutes. They're OK in an orchestral context, adding an interesting flash of tonal colour. But as a solo instrument? Nope. Just irritating rather than unpleasant. 
For flute try George Crumb’s “An Idyll for the Misbegotten” with Zizi Mueller playing the flute very expressively. Get the volume up and it’ll also give your woofers a bit of a workout! Only ten minutes so not too much to endure!!!

For bassoon Sebastian Fagerlund wrote an interesting little solo work, and didn’t Elgar write a delightful piece for the instrument.

Reactions: josh and JANDL100

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I'm in good company about the flute, Mozart wrote that he wasn't keen. 

You're not going to argue with Mozart? 
Hmm, yes, that Albrechtsberger Jews Harp concerto is a new one on me, and I have to confess that I laughed at its first entry. That's quite fun. It kind of reminded me of the first experiments with a Moog synthesiser. 

Bassoon is another one for me that I struggle a bit with. I've only come across one composer who can reliably write extended exposed bassoon lines really convincingly - Zelenka. 
Klassik is extremely fond of the bassoon.  Ok, that sounds a bit strange, but you know what Klassik means.  xD

iu

The bassoon has a wide range and is surprisingly versatile.  Klassik reckons that either one likes the tone of it or not, but Klassik loves it.  There are many works Klassik likes for the bassoon.  The Hummel concerto is perhaps one of the most famous works.  Klassik will post that here along with another classical era bassoon concerto, one less known, the one by Luigi Gatti.  Mozart once referred to Gatti as being an "ass", but this is surely related to Gatti getting a prime job in Salzburg as the Hofkapellmeister that Mozart and his father surely had eyes on. 

Hummel:

Last edited by a moderator:

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For flute try George Crumb’s “An Idyll for the Misbegotten” with Zizi Mueller playing the flute very expressively. Get the volume up and it’ll also give your woofers a bit of a workout! Only ten minutes so not too much to endure!!!
Yes, quite fun, although the flute is still irritating. I do like George Crumb. Can't give the woofers a workout at this time of day or the wife will let me know about it. But sounds well enough on headphones. 

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
The last few posts have been very serendipitous. I was actually going to ask if there are any bassoon works. I know there are a number of oboe concertos but have wondered why there aren't so many for the bassoon. On the face of it, as a solo instrument, it has a more mellow feel to the strident and sometimes brash/harsh-sounding oboe. I look forward to checking out the links above.

didn’t Elgar write a delightful piece for the instrument.
What's that?

Reactions: Klassik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online