Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Where does one start? I visited Chester Cathedral a few years back and was blown away by the choir practice.

Has anyone got a kind of beginners guide for me?

Cheers,

James.

G

Well it really helps if your bollocks haven't dropped so i fear you may struggle a bit:p

E

earl of sodbury

Gabriel Fauré- quite a range of choral works to choose from, by far the best known being his very beautiful "Requiem". Many acceptable compilations of his famous choral works available.

Samuel Barber - choral transcription of his Adagio for Strings - might take a bit of searching, but appears onsome compilations.

Marc Antoine Charpentier - countless "Messe" and other devotional works, prime amongst these being the transcendent "Messe des Mortes" - a fine version of which is available on Naxos, conveniently enough.

Herbert Howells - much very lovely devotional music in an early C20th idiom - hard to pick a favourite, his Magnificat,and Nunc Dimittis, being most recognisable,but plenty of compilers will save you the labour.

Of the various chants, plainsongs, sung masses etc., for me the most rewarding originate in the Ambrosianmode - and of the various renderings, happily the most accessible is the female voice "In Dulce Jubilo" available on good olde Naxos...

Have fun, some very lovely music awaits discovery thither...

churz, eofs

G

Christmas eve live from Cambridge IIRCRadiothree . Christmas carols sung by the Kings College choir. Magical

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

Gabriel Fauré- quite a range of choral works to choose from, by far the best known being his very beautiful "Requiem". Many acceptable compilations of his famous choral works available.Samuel Barber - choral transcription of his Adagio for Strings - might take a bit of searching, but appears onsome compilations.

Marc Antoine Charpentier - countless "Messe" and other devotional works, prime amongst these being the transcendent "Messe des Mortes" - a fine version of which is available on Naxos, conveniently enough.

Herbert Howells

Have fun, some very lovely music awaits discovery thither...

churz, eofs
Naxos is a handy resource, cheers.

Will search out the above and have a good listen..

Duvet, I have a vice so should be able to sing along ok!
biggrin.png

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got me some Eddie Elgar, with Johhnie Vaughan on Keyboards.. Biscuits college friends on vocals.. Innit.

Herbie Howells is bitchin too Mofo.. gonno pop a cap in his ass later too. fuck yeah

If I find the Platoon song gonna get that innit as well.

Busta Choral Rhymes..

Ahhhhh what time is it? veee marrieeaaaahhh... Yeah.. one time.. aaaavvee Maaahhrriieeaa

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Trust those two to come up with such tame chorals.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

Looking for something to set your pulse racing? I recommend VERDI's REQUIEM!
teufel55.gif
So dramatic at some points it sounds like a berserked chef is hurling his pots and pans around in his kitchen. There is MAHLER's big fat SYMPHONY NO. 8 too. Even if you don't like his style, you still need to hear this gargantuan piece at least once in your life. BERLIOZ's oratorio LA DAMNATION DE FAUST is a fantastique exemplar of its genre. Don't miss it! And last but not least, there is CARL ORFF's inexhaustible CARMINA BURANA, the one classical piece that has inspired many epic movie soundtracks.Sounds stonking if you manage to get one with a digital blockbuster sound like the Grammy-winning one below.
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
:^

B0000041YC.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

ps: Wagner wrote great choruses too. But I think no one here would bother, so...
47_47.gif.482d183844f69ef6dec537ae753f214d.gif

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also ordered "The only choral album you'll ever need EVER" from Amazon..
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif

Just to give me an idea of what else is out there.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers Solid, I have the old spice album
biggrin.png
already, jolly good it is too.

I will have a go at Verdi's requiem too. Did you know I once appeared in a production of Aida.

cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Coward. I had already noted your red hot pants comments.. come out form behind that sofa...:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::sw:
14-00000002.gif.828495f168ee75f09f640fa4f13bd3a2.gif

E

earl of sodbury

solidstateman wrote:

teufel55.gif
So dramatic at some points it sounds like a berserked chef is hurling his pots and pans around in his kitchen. There is MAHLER's big fat SYMPHONY NO. 8 too. Even if you don't like his style, you still need to hear this gargantuan piece at least once in your life. BERLIOZ's oratorio LA DAMNATION DE FAUST is a fantastique exemplar of its genre. Don't miss it! And last but not least, there is CARL ORFF's inexhaustible CARMINA BURANA, the one classical piece that has inspired many epic movie soundtracks.Sounds stonking if you manage to get one with a digital blockbuster sound like the Grammy-winning one below.

ps: Wagner wrote great choruses too. But I think no one here would bother, so...
A typical(Melo)Drama Queen's selection -full ofSound and Fury, signifying nothing...

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
Hi Wigwam,

My 2p worth...

Don't forget HANDEL...I thought I was allergic to his music until I bought: Coronation Anthems - Choir of Westminister Abbey/The English Concert/Preston. Investigating his oratorios now.

HAYDN: The Seasons & The Creation & the late Masses (start with the Nelson Mass). The named Mozart masses are fine too.

ALLEGRI:Miserere - King's College Choir/Willcocks is a classic

MONTEVERDI: Vespers (I've the Sir John Eliot Gardiner version & he's a pretty safe recommendation in this type of music imho)

Medieval polophony can be beautiful too - Hildegard of Bingen;Josquin; Ockeghem; Dufay & Gregorian chant. Look for records from Gothic Voices & The Clerks' Group & the Oxford Camerata on Naxos imho.

And then there's BACH
biggrin.png
The Mass in B minor is the Daddy of them all.

The Rough Guide to Classical Music & the Penguin Guide are very good primers.

Regards, GofA

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Glens of Antrim wrote:

Hi Wigwam,My 2p worth...

Don't forget HANDEL...I thought I was allergic to his music until I bought: Coronation Anthems - Choir of Westminister Abbey/The English Concert/Preston. Investigating his oratorios now.

HAYDN: The Seasons & The Creation & the late Masses (start with the Nelson Mass). The named Mozart masses are fine too.

ALLEGRI:Miserere - King's College Choir/Willcocks is a classic

MONTEVERDI: Vespers

Medieval polophony can be beautiful too. Look for records from Gothic Voices & The Clerks' Group & the Oxford Camerata on Naxos imho.

And then there's BACH
biggrin.png
The Mass in B minor is the Daddy of them all.

Regards, GofA
Excellent..

Looks like I have a lot of shopping to do..
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif
better not.

Maybe I will use Amzon et al's sneak preview systems and go from there..

Thanks all.

James.,

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

solidstateman wrote:
teufel55.gif

A typical (Melo)Drama Queen's selection -full ofSound and Fury, signifying nothing...
It is obvious you have been overdosing on soggy melons again whilst listening to your PMC GerBils.

E

earl of sodbury

solidstateman wrote:

earl of sodbury wrote:
solidstateman wrote:
teufel55.gif

A typical (Melo)Drama Queen's selection -full ofSound and Fury, signifying nothing...
It is obvious you have been overdosing on soggy melons again whilst listening to your PMC GerBils.
"Women for children, boys for pleasure, and melons for ecstasy."

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
them bloody Christ Church Cathedral choirboys used to have to go past my room in the morning for practise. They made such a god awful screaming racket (in the way only little kids can) which was not pleasant on the hungover student head. Since then I have a terrible aversion to choral music
biggrin.png

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
B000003CUH.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

No other version seems to come close to Shaw's. Not only are the choral forces stunning, the little-known soloists are excellent too and the famed Telarc sonics are of dramatic audiophile quality. I will be getting the newish BPO/Abbado on EMI this weekend. It features that two-headed opera hydra:roll:: a.k.a. Roberto and Angela Alageorghiu-Na. It's supposed to be good. A Verdi Requiem shootout this Sat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online