Classical Newbie.

Natara

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2016
Brighton
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all I have in the last year or so since I have owned a streamer and had access to lots of different music been trying to explore new music and broaden my musical horizons so to speak. I have to my surprise found out that I realy like Jazz and after quite enjoying some film soundtracks Gladiator and Schindler's List for example would like some recommendations of classical music to try, different composers and specific pieces please nothing to complex but any time period. Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

Ps I have read the thread above where the poster asks for recomendations for his brother at Uni but there is too much again I dont really know where to begin I think user friendly or Classical music for Dummies should have been my thread title.

Reactions: Von Krolock

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you like Gladiator soundtrack then listen to The Planets by Gustav Holst - The first section "Mars" is where Hans Zimmer plagiarised it from.

Natara

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2016
Brighton
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you like Gladiator soundtrack then listen to The Planets by Gustav Holst - The first section "Mars" is where Hans Zimmer plagiarised it from.
Thank you Alan that will go on my list to try.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Vivaldi's The Four Seasons is a popular piece that has started the classical bug for many folks. Lively, tuneful,varied, immediately appealing.

Sparf on BIS is fun - if you Spotify it's here ...

https://open.spotify.com/album/0qSIuFxX8isoOQ8inNt5HX

... otherwise just enter 'sparf vivaldi' into the search box of your choice
smile.png

Natara

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2016
Brighton
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have been listening to Holst The Planets - Venus suite or is it movement anyway really beautiful piece, thanks Musicbox/Alan very enjoyable.

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some random suggestions:

Renaissance – this was the equivalent of rock, music meant for dancing:

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
El Klassiko recently came across this CD and it probably fits into the theme of this thread. For those who like somewhat newer film music, but who aren't too familiar with classical music, this might be a good starting point. It's a somewhat newer composition from the year 2000, it's well-recorded using the Decca Tree by Michael Fine, it's rather upbeat in nature, and it's an easy enough listen for anyone to enjoy it including more seasoned listeners.

The work in question is Peter Boyer's New Beginnings. Klassik will post the recording of it performed by the London Symphony Orchestra in 2001 under the baton of the composer himself. Below that is a video from the recording session itself from Abbey Road Studio One.

Really, the whole CD is pretty enjoyable, but this is probably the highlight work from the disc. Even as someone who typically likes more complex classical music than this, this is a fun change of pace and an enjoyable listen.

Reactions: Von Krolock

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
YouTube is your friend here - just sample the main works of various composers and see if you like them. e.g.
Bach - Brandenburg Concerti
Beethoven - Symphony 6 Pastoral
Brahms - Symphony 2
Sibelius - Symphony 5
Mahler - Symphony 4
Dvorak - Symphony 9 New World
Debussy - La Mer
Ravel - Le Tombeau de Couperin (orchestral version)
Falla - The 3 Cornered Hat
Stravinsky - The Firebird
Shostakovich - Symphony 5
Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra
Prokofiev - Romeo and Juliet suite

Piano
Beethoven - Piano Concerto 4
Grieg - Piano Concerto
Prokofiev - Piano Concerto 3
Debussy - Preludes book 1
Chopin - Scherzo 4
Schumann - Carnaval

Operas
Janacek - The Cunning Little Vixen
Puccini - La Boheme
Verdi - Aida
Wagner - Die Meistersinger
Gershwin - Porgy and Bess

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's a wonderful world of music out there to discover but there can be so many hits & misses.
Listen to some atonal 20th century music and you may well wonder..
Superb recs above, also - try some of MacMillan's Choral music & Richter's Sleep for example.
Rachmaninov too..

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You must try the so-called 'warhorses' like Elgar & Vaughan Williams - but be careful with their symphonies as they are challenging.
Listen to VW's Variations on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles