Sibelius - Where do i go from here?

subtle

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2006
London, , United Kin
I'm a total novice when it comes to classical music and recently bought a guide book to essential classical music. After much reading i bought Sibelius' 5th symphony based purely on the description of the music. His 4th is also on the disc and i enjoyed both very much but where do i go from here? Can anyone recommend other composers/pieces in a similar style?

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sibelius 6th and 7th symphonies good too. Also 3rd.

His tone poems En Saga, The Oceanides, Nightride and Sunrise, Pohjola's Daughter and Tapiola also mini masterpieces.

I've loved Sibelius's music for years but still find the 4th symphony very difficult to understand... so well done!

However... other composers to follow from Sibelius is a very challenging question. His music is very individual and although he was a massive influence over later composers he is quite unique.

Vaughan Williams 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th symphonies are possibilities. Maybe Carl Nielsen 3rd,4th and 5th symphonies too - written arround same time as Sibelius later works.

Might also be worth trying Shostakovich 6th symphony... first movement is very still and cold, similar atmosphere as Sibelius 4th. I'm sure Shostakovich was thinking of Sibelius when he wrote it. 2nd and 3rd movements are grimly ironic fast movements, so a bit different.

Going back in time from Sibelius might be worth trying.. standard Newbie fare is Tchaikovsky - especially 4th, 5th and (greatest of all) 6th symphony, but some might find it too ardently romantic. Same applies to Rachmaninov, but 2nd, 3rd &,4th piano concerti and 2nd and 3rd symphonies all worthwhile.

Dvorak and Schumann symphonies are worth investigating too. It might be an idea to get hold ofa classical compilation, see what you like on that, then try the complete works based on that. Have fun, and let us know how it goes.
smile.png

Reactions: josh

subtle

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2006
London, , United Kin
musicbox wrote:

Going back in time from Sibelius might be worth trying.. standard Newbie fare is Tchaikovsky - especially 4th, 5th and (greatest of all) 6th symphony, but some might find it too ardently romantic.
Thanks for that MB,i had been thinking of trying Tchaikovsky,can you recommend any particular recordings of his 6th?

Logan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2005
NZ & Scotland
Their soundworlds are totally different, but to me Sibelius and Janacek speak with similar accents. Try the latter's Sinfonietta and Taras Bulba first. Then, if you're into opera you could listen to Jenufa, Katya Kabanova, and The Cunning Little Vixen.

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
subtle wrote:

Thanks for that MB,i had been thinking of trying Tchaikovsky,can you recommend any particular recordings of his 6th?
Quite a few good ones.... My own favourite is Michael Pletnev and Russian National Orchestra on Virgin - better than their later recording on Deutsche Gramophon.

Valery Gergiev/Vienna Phil quite good on philips, also Igor Markevitch/LSO might be available on budget philips.

I would certainly recommend you try Vaughan Willams, I would start with the 2nd 'London', 3rd 'Pastoral' or 5th (which is very often paired with the 3rd). With regard to recordings there have been some recent additions to the catalogue, and there are some boxed sets around which can be picked up quite cheaply (if you feel a little more adventurous). I quite like the Norrington (Decca) recording pairing the 3rd and 5th, although I know there are many who consider it a bit 'dull'.

155:)

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
Would recommend VW to anyone. I have the Adrian Boult box set; great performances at a cheap price. if you're interested in Tschaikowsky's symphonies try the Karajan bargain box - maybe a wee bit too smooth but still stonking. And Beethoven. Plus my persnal favourite Schubert - Solti's 9th will knock you off your seat!

Explore & enjoy.

GofA

No, I would have to disagree especially for a newbie.Nielson isn't'immediate' and is probably best approached once an individual has explored most of the mainstream cannon. That isn't to say that Nielson isn't worth exploring or valid, it is a question of when as to if.

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
I see your point. I'm not sure you'd naturally start with Sibelius either. VW always a safe recommendation.

Talking of finding new music, is anyone listening to the Naxos podcast? Really nice. good for finding composers that one wouldn't usually buy.

HectorHughMunro wrote:

I see your point. I'm not sure you'd naturally start with Sibelius either. VW always a safe recommendation.Talking of finding new music, is anyone listening to the Naxos podcast? Really nice. good for finding composers that one wouldn't usually buy.
Being really stupid here, is this something that I can access through a Naxos web site? I'm always happy to listen to new stuff.

Also, have you listened to any Bantock (Hyperion)? The 'Celtic' symphony isvery accessible, and very similar (in parts) toVaughan Williams.

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
I actually pick it up from Itunes in the podcast section of the store & I think that's the best way to get it. It's called Naxos Classical Music Spotlight - it's free & very good. The programmes are 20-30 minutes long & you can download the whole archive of them. They're 128kbps MP3 files so it's better than DAB.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ is the link for Itunes.

I'll look out for the Bantock. Have to say that I've never listened to him.

The other podcasts to look for are the Luna Nova podcast and the Gramophone podcast. The Luna Nova one does entire works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles