Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all,

looking for amp suggestion to drive a modern pair of Tannoy Stirling GR. (90dB)

Would prefer a true analogue volume control, as digital/stepped controls seem too course.

Would also like remote volume control.

Have thought about valve, but concened that as I am medically retired the amp could be on for at least 12 hours per day.

looking to be under £ 3K New.

Any thoughts please

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you do think about valves, a nice PrimaLuna Integrated would serve well.  Dialogue series has remote, autobias - so no messing around biasing or matching valves, soft-start and a wonderful sound.  Very helpful company too. 

I use the Prologue Three pre and Prologue Seven monoblocs with my Stirling SEs.  Sounds wonderful.

If you get near Heathrow you could pop in for a listen.  Hi-Fi Lounge at Dunton just south of you would prob arrange a home demo.

Last edited by a moderator:

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I've had best results with push-pull valve amps.  If you want SS, class A works very well with Tannoys.  The Sugden A21SE is in budget new, but I'd look for a used IA-4 integrated which is even better.  Or a Pioneer A-09 if you can find one.

yeti2

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 21, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have used  a Vincent 331-MK with my Sterling TW's & Cheviots with great success first 10w in class A & 150w into 8 ohm never missed a beat & sounded fantastic. They are battleship build too.

I think The Missing Link are still the importers check out their website for more info.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A slightly different suggestion. I am using Hypex Ncore amps. NC400's, self assembly. Before the Exchange rate problems, that came in at under £1200 plus whatever was needed to box it and make it work (literally connectors and a few tens of MM of internal cabling). It is transparent to my ears and they will drive any speaker within reason without issue. They will be compact, cool, efficient and pretty much perfect for the extended use you envisage. What that does is give you a free hand with pre-amplification. If you want valves, solid state, passive or whatever you can do that and have the functionality you want. 

greengoblin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 15, 2009
manchester
AKA
Leon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
When I had tannoy mg15 in grf, best amp to drive them was my mcintosh mc275. Push pull 75w does it really well. I'd consider a mcintosh 2275 integrated myself

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
 I agree with possibility of Marantz, + maybe contact 'Tannoy' for their 'ideas'/discuss in real 'Tannoy' shop with knowing afficionados ...

I am sure that safely-aptly you will select suitably ...

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nothing wrong with that suggestion but it might be worth quoting exactly which Tannoys he uses because they all behave subtly different. Some do well using the first watt principles, others need an iron clad kick up the derrière power wise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online