Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2011
Preston, Lancashire,
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So last night I finally managed to get to Stevied's to hear his stacked Quad 57's properly.  Lets get the obvious bit out of the way... they ain't pretty.  At the moment, the top set and bottom set have mismatched covers and the frames are pretty workmanlike.  They are big and Steve has to move one around to get in and out of his room.

But they sound really nice.  No they don't plumb the depths like his old Amphions, but they are balanced, they have enough bass for Steve's room and with the right recordings they are very lifelike.  Imaging is not as precise as single 57's, but that also means you can move your head when you listen.  We listened to a mixture of music, from B52s, Prodigy, Eagles, War of the Worlds (yes, I tried my usual track, and again, it revealed just how good his Kline pre-amp and the Quads are at producing the atmosphere of the the recording and Richard Burton's voice).  They aren't the best speakers for dance music, but it was perfectly listenable and we had the volume up to decent levels.  The main thing for me compared with the Amphions (and the Allisons as well) was that I happily listened to the Quads quite loud for the whole evening.  They aren't fatiguing and they aren't dominated by the bass.  On the (cliched but useful) Hell Freezes Over version of Hotel California, that concert drum doesn't shake the floor, but neither does it come to dominate the recording as it does with other speakers.  You listen to the way instruments move and are played, the dynamics are much more obvious.  On Eve of the War, the lead in to the opening of the cylinder had so much more detail than I get at home (to be fair, I use a CD and Steve had it on vinyl so that may have been part of the reason)

This is the best sound I have heard at Steves, well balanced and full of life.  Stacked Quads are definitely something worth hearing. Pictures are a problem - my phone doesnt have a wide enough lens to get them both in!  But I'll post the one pic I did take shortly.

The rest of Steves system - Garrad 401 (?301) with Morch arm and fancy cart, Kline phono and pre and Beam Echo EL34 powers, makes a good front end.  All together it makes a very natural sound that I could listen to for hours and that is ideal for me.

On a side note, we tried my Chromecast Audio and marvelled yet again at how a £30 gizmo the size of a hockey puck can sound that good whilst giving access to basically every piece of music going... Steve's next purchase is probably going to be his cheapest.

pgarrish

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2011
Preston, Lancashire,
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
8cc4e0ae54e6786d705d20a648f75e0f.jpg

stevied

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 7, 2006
Ormskirk
AKA
Guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
your stands for your quads look superb mondie I am having new ones built at the moment.

Not sure there is a better speaker for the money  than a set of stacked quad 57s the midrange is just sublime and easily the best speakers I have owned.

Mondie

Lackey
Wammer
Jul 26, 2008
Llandudno (ex Oz)
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The stands were built by Whatmough along with the subs. The speakers also ran active crossovers with Decca ribbon tweeters. That was all back in the 90's before I met my Mrs :$

Last edited by a moderator:

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
More panels equals more air movement equals more bass and most importantly more volume .. if you want to listen at more realistic volume levels it is a great way to almost retain all the magic of your single ELS57.   

Have also heard them with a coles tweeter mounted to the upper stack and a bass loudspeaker enclosure with an 8 or 10" Speaker at the bottom (Harrogate Show 1980)  - not sure if it was for me but worth the experiment if you have a pair of stacked Quads.

stylesound

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 30, 2009
Kendal, Cumbria ,
AKA
Mike
I was lucky to listen to Steve's system.   Exceptional and a system to die for.  Stacked Quad 57s, Beam Echo DL7-35 valve amps, Klyne phono and pre-amps, Accuphase tuner, Garrard 301 / Morch / ZYX Fuji, Thorens 124 / Morch / Ortofon Rohmann all division one classics.  

All Steve needs to do now, after he has switched from supporting Liverpool to Man City, is buy some decent records and listen to the music.  

stevied

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 7, 2006
Ormskirk
AKA
Guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was lucky to listen to Steve's system.   Exceptional and a system to die for.  Stacked Quad 57s, Beam Echo DL7-35 valve amps, Klyne phono and pre-amps, Accuphase tuner, Garrard 301 / Morch / ZYX Fuji, Thorens 124 / Morch / Ortofon Rohmann all division one classics.  

All Steve needs to do now, after he has switched from supporting Liverpool to Man City, is buy some decent records and listen to the music.  
Thanks Mike

A lot of my present system is down to you

A few points nothing wrong with Abba and Liverpool are my team and always will be glad you bought sterling!

just glad I didn't purchase " Pinocchios" Tonearm from you

regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online