Wammer
Nov 5, 2013
P'bo UK
AKA
Karl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi everyone

I need some help - I have a SME 20/2 deck here and it's in desperate need of a bit of TLC.

New suspension rubbers are being ordered this week as they are stretched to the point where they no longer actually suspend anything!

The whole thing is in a bit of a state though. Does anybody have a link or PDFs or anything that might detail how to dissemble and reassemble the thing so that I may fully clean it - and also how to set the thing up. Just those suspension towers have me a bit confused - the top screws off to remove the rubbers, but there is a screw in the top of them that I cant figure out what it does etc. I was hoping to remove the sub platter, take the tops off the towers and slide the upper section up off the base so I could clean up what looks like leaked oil underneath, but I'm at a loss.

Cheers

Karl

flapland

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 17, 2007
Hampstead, London UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Karl

The suspension towers can be extended up or down with the use the appropriate Allen key(if you have all the bits its the long one with the plastic handle). You adjust them to get level the top plinth with a 3-4mm gap all round which is covered in the manual.

I haven't found a way to remove the sub platter and in normal use their isn't really a need. 

The substance on the lower plinth sounds suspiciously like silicon from the central well area around the turntable bearing(can't be seen). Thats really difficult to clean up hence your desire to disassemble I suspect. I don't know the best way of cleaning that but talking with SME might be advisable especially if there has been a lot of the silicon lost from the well.

To be honest I think a visit to SME may be in order for a service although I recognise thats not a cheap thing.

If you in London your welcome to take a look at mine or I can take photos if needed of any areas your not sure about. 

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MJ.

Hi Karl

The suspension towers can be extended up or down with the use the appropriate Allen key(if you have all the bits its the long one with the plastic handle). You adjust them to get level the top plinth with a 3-4mm gap all round which covered in the manual.

I haven't found a way to remove the sub platter and in normal use their isn't really a need. 

The substance on the lower plinth sounds suspiciously like silicon from the central well area around the turntable bearing(can't be seen). Thats really difficult to clean up hence your desire to disable I suspect. I don't know the best way of cleaning that but talking with SME might be advisable especially if there has been a lot of the silicon lost from the well.

To be honest I think a visit to SME may be in order for a service although I recognise thats not a cheap thing.

If you in London your welcome to take a look at mine or I can take photos if needed of any areas your not sure about. 
Nice post Paul :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online