Considering giving up vinyl - conclusion

The_Krell

Wammer
Sep 13, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Only you can decide so....

Ask yourself the question for each and every item (kit + software) will I miss it?
If the answer is no that's pretty straight forward, if on the other hand it's yes or not sure then my advice would be to keep it. After all you can always sell things at a later date but once it's gone...well that's it.

I also had the "should I just get rid of my TT and records" over a few months of pondering. The wife persuaded me to not rush a decision and I rediscovered my love of it all later and was glad I didn't.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't have thousands of records even though I have been buying them since the early sixties. I would have if I did'nt go thru them every few years & take out any that I don't actually remember playing for a long time.

Any I take out go to Anthony who will take any he wants or fancies hearing and the rest he values to sell individually or as a job lot on eBay which I'm not on.

This has kept my collection to probably under a 1,000 which all fits in my Ikea rack👌🏻

I have found my sweetspot with the my present TT set up and there is no way I would contemplate what your thinking of doing and Anthony would have a fit and get me locked up Anyway.

Get ruthless Dom and keep the stuff you still really want listen too,

Reactions: Pressure and Wenge1

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When we moved up to Scotland 9 years ago my LP collection was one of the things that I decided to ditch, along with my (fairly modest by Wam standards) Thorens deck. I had already by then pretty much moved over to playing CDs rather than LPs anyway, and had also discovered the delights of streaming from files ripped from CD to a hard drive - the convenience of being able to select the next song or album from a phone app tipped the balance for me, and using the Thorens (and the CD player for that matter) became less and less frequent to the point where I just wasn't using it at all. So I decided that the LP collection and the deck would not be moving North, sold the deck and those LPs that were worth anything, donated the rest to the local charity shop, and after the move, set about the process of converting all of my CD collection to FLAC. In reality, I could have found space for a deck and a record collection in the new house - it was supposed to be a downsizing process, but somehow didn't work out that way - but I don't miss the vinyl thing at all. My CDs are now in the attic and exist in FLAC form on a hard drive, so even they don't occupy living space; I can play anything from the FLAC collection on the study system, the lounge system, my shed, the garage, or on my phone or tablet, as the mood takes me.

Yes, there is some material I had in LP form that I no longer have in my FLAC collection, but having recently signed up to Qobuz and discovered just how much stuff is out there, in at least CD quality, and at the touch of a button, there's plenty to explore, and a good proportion of what I got rid of is probably there on Qobuz if I need to hear it. A case in point - I've had a couple of Lee Ritenour CDs in my collection for a while, and I decided to see what Qobuz has - they list about 30 of his albums in their collection, and I am working my way through them - some absolute gems, such as his only acoustic solo album, Dreamcatcher, which is sublime. So for the price of a CD or so a month, which is probably less than I was spending on CDs, I have access to more music than I can feasibly listen to in my lifetime, and can construct a virtual collection of "favourite" albums on my Qobuz account for easy access, construct playlists, etc., and I can also access Qobuz in my car via my phone and Android Auto. Totally a win/win situation as far as I am concerned, and all without the comforting ritual inconvenience and faff of handling those 12" diameter plastic dust magnets.

Last edited:

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When the SQ of my CD/digital replay became better than my vinyl replay, I decided to sell all my vinyl and analogue replay equipment. Within weeks of selling the LP12 I had bought another turntable, not to replace the LP12, as I hadn't missed playing vinyl, but because I had always wanted a Gyro SE. I've still got it, but it's more of an ornament than a vinyl spinner, as every time I play vinyl, I compare it to a CD or Tidal stream (MQA if possible) and enjoy that more. I did sell a lot of my vinyl, got a great price for it at auction, but still have 100+ albums that rarely get played. I don't miss my vinyl, and it's freed up a lot of space. My attachment is to the music, it's the music, not it's carrier that brings back the memories. I'd be happy to sell off the rest of my albums, but I'm keeping them as an excuse to keep the Gyro :ROFLMAO:.

Reactions: Tony_J and hiesteem

AJSki2fly

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2018
East Devon
AKA
Adrian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hello everyone

As some may know I am have a change in life circumstances and am looking afresh at everything and especially when it comes to possessions. I was horrified to find out with my current house move that just my personal possessions (no furniture and mostly audio and studio gear) occupy 15 cubic meters of space and weigh 1200kgs. That’s ridiculous and so a lot of stuff has to go especially as I will probably be country hopping again in another 12 months time.

On the vinyl front I am a little hesitant as if I sell my current t/t and phono stage I will never be able to afford it again and also I may miss the glorious sound. (Luxman PD171 with Audio Note arm2 and IO and a Trilogy 907 phonostage.) This is one of the best turntable set ups that I have heard (according to my preferences).

Has anyone sold a high end turntable going full digital and regretted it or felt liberated? Is it worth keeping a small handful of meaningful LPs (especially those not available on digital) and a cheap turntable? (Just bought my wife a Project EVO).

I don’t need kit suggestions and am more interested in considerations and experiences of others who have gone on this journey particularly both positive and negative.

Also I have received my Audio Note IO back from a service at Audio Note. It’s still in the shipping box. Should I open it and enjoy one more year of this cartridge or better to sell in this ‘newly refurbished’ condition? Not sure how much resale would be affected? I suspect as is it’s worth maybe £1600 as is but if I used it then maybe £1000? What do you guys think?
I went through this twice, initially involuntarily when my record collection was stolen, I started replacing but CD's came along and I moved that direction in. After several years and two expensive CDPs I came to regret my choice. Circumstances meant in early 00's I could no longer listen to the hifi easily, so most of it went we purchased a simple surround sound system and used DVD player to play music, OK but not great. Early 2010's I regretted no longer having a decent system so started upgrading with Meridian series 500 gear and near main speakers and things improved. But I was still dissatisfied by CD replay and streaming at the time.

About 9 years ago a friend had to sell off his record collection, I was tempted and purchased a Dual 505 and was off again into vinyl and have never looked back. Various system changes later and quite a learning curve and my system is now stable, there may be the odd change, but only on streaming front.

So my advice is definitely keep the vinyl and if you can the TT and Phono, hard to replace and get what suits you once gear has moved on, and it will get dearer probably. On the streaming front, and I no some will disagree with me, after trialing several streamers, using a Mac with various software and DACs, I have ended up using a RaspberryPi with a slightly model HiFiberry Digi+ powered from a linear PSU, I run Volumio and Qobuz and have quite a few FLAC and CD-res music on a NAS drive. My conclusion is that I would need to spend several thousand to get a better digital streaming SQ, and as I listen to LPs a lot it suits me.

Digital can sound very good, a friend sold me his Marantz KI Pearl SACD player, and even stock well recorded CDs are very good and sound musical. Streaming can be good as well but I find it really is down to the service used, the quality of the music data files and where they originated, and how stable/good your Interest is.

MBDK72

Wammer
Jun 23, 2021
London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When the SQ of my CD/digital replay became better than my vinyl replay, I decided to sell all my vinyl and analogue replay equipment. Within weeks of selling the LP12 I had bought another turntable, not to replace the LP12, as I hadn't missed playing vinyl, but because I had always wanted a Gyro SE. I've still got it, but it's more of an ornament than a vinyl spinner, as every time I play vinyl, I compare it to a CD or Tidal stream (MQA if possible) and enjoy that more. I did sell a lot of my vinyl, got a great price for it at auction, but still have 100+ albums that rarely get played. I don't miss my vinyl, and it's freed up a lot of space. My attachment is to the music, it's the music, not it's carrier that brings back the memories. I'd be happy to sell off the rest of my albums, but I'm keeping them as an excuse to keep the Gyro :ROFLMAO:.
I was in a similar position to you a few years ago. One day, using headphones, I played a track on vinyl, then played the same track again on cd and again via streaming and could not hear any difference (apart from less clicks, pops). I tried with other tracks and had the same conclusion. Digital now trumps vinyl in every department and I have no regrets what so ever. Plus I made a ton of money selling my record collection. Switch with confidence.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh dear @DomT, this is a thread I’d rather not see from you.
I mentioned a while ago, I wouldn’t be buying any new vinyl as the cost of it and often the quality isn’t up to the standards it once was. By enlarge, I’ve stuck to this bar the odd Birthday vinyl pressing (two in fact). The odd used vinyl tho, I still get. I did sell my Gyro/Audiomods and Sugden phonostage because quite frankly, as good as it was, it was over analytical. The Thorens TD1600/Benz and Primare R35 just seem to capture what vinyl is all about.
It’s detailed, fulsome and extremely emotional at how it presents the format. So much so, it’s kept me away from streaming and to an extent, CD. Granted, you have to get up and faff about swapping records but that’s part of the charm isn’t it?
Maybe as my ears have got older, the frequencies vinyl provides for me are right for me and others so I have no interest in parting with vinyl. It’s part of my life’s journey. So much so, I may sell the streamer as it’s had so little use over the months.
The CD player (when it finally gets back from Germany) will be for all my CD’s from about 1987 onwards which I have really enjoyed playing again.
So my conclusion is, don’t do it. You will regret it, it’s part of your life’s journey and you may not feel like it now but when your sitting at home one day, looking at that gatefold and hearing what vinyl can really do, you will agree and I hope you come to your senses 😊

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Excellent insight from everyone - but what is clear from the answers, is there is no right answer, only right "for you".

The only way you will know for sure, is live without your TT and see how much you miss it. The experience of others is irrelevant to anyone but them.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I love music not the medium.

In truth, I find it very hard to comprehend the idea that the source is even the slightest consideration when you have been taken away listening to great music on a great system (digital or vinyl).

The point being, that as soon as digital started sounding as good as vinyl, it became a no brainer for me to ditch my turntable and records. The practical limitations of vinyl had really only ever been a pain in the backside I was willing to bear for better sound quality.

If the music is all that matters, then sell your records and TT and be happy 'til death do you part.

Of course not everyone feels this way and so this is largely going to boil down to the level of your own sentimental attachment to your LPs, the process and/or the concept of vinyl as a medium. If you have any at all, then I would definitely be hesitating at this point.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To my mind and in my circumstances, this is quite easy once the decision is made. Thin the lp's down to those that you really really like.

I was something of a completist in terms of artists output, but things can get out of hand easily.
I am currently thinning down 1000 lp's, and a 1000 cd's to those that I actually like and will listen to. No hardware is going, even if I am left with only 50 albums the Kuzma stays as a piece of art.

CD's for the chop are going to Oxfam.

Reactions: t1no and hiesteem

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sort out storage. Live without stuff for the 12 months or so that you have to and see how much you miss a lot of it. After 12 months then decide.

Reactions: Sotosound

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From an psychological analysis point of view, these sum it up into the classic left vs right brain conundrum. There are two broad categories of people:
I have found my sweetspot with the my present TT set up and there is no way I would contemplate what your thinking of doing

My attachment is to the music, it's the music, not it's carrier that brings back the memories.

Digital now trumps vinyl in every department and I have no regrets whatsoever
as soon as digital started sounding as good as vinyl, it became a no brainer for me to ditch my turntable and records
You will regret it, it’s part of your life’s journey
I rediscovered my love of it all later and was glad I didn't.

love music not the medium.
Left brain and logic: Sound quality rules the day and as such the pathway to convenience is clear, or one keeps the LPs because of superior sonics, or one chooses digital because music rather than sound quality is important and as such offers up the road to the convenience of digital.

Right brain and emotion : The nostalgia of the physical presence and the memories attached is the more powerful motivator of behavior. One who keeps their collection is in touch with who they are and where they have come from.

And of course there is the whole category of fence sitters that like both for various reasons and have the time, the money, the space etc.. to do as they please.

Most of this is a bit tongue and cheek, but as you see, the human psyche is not easily quantified but often manipulated. Hope this cheers you up! 😇

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can thin your LP's slowly. All the ones you won't play. The ones with just a couple of tracks that you like. Would be a good idea to save each album & edit your streaming library as you sell them ?
Never had such an interesting & diverse choice of music to play since I went to the "dark side". Brilliant.
Good luck. Listen to the cat. ;)

nighthawk-streamer.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jules_S and Lurch

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I didn’t exactly own any fancy systems as such, the last time vinyl almost disappeared due to digital dominance. I do regret getting rid of it though and disappearing down the digital hole, but it was a sign of the times, as most consumers did.

I’ve since come back to vinyl recently after a decent turntable was gifted to me, and it didn’t take long to realize what I had done all those years ago. Messed up really in the way I looked at vinyl.

Since my new venture into vinyl again, I’ve subsequently bought two more turntables and splashed out quite a bit on vinyl new and used.

The moral of the story is I wouldn’t sell it again. I will however now the new novelty has worn off not get sucked into the spending and the new overpriced market it has become. I’ll keep it very small and simple, but I do like owning a very select record collection again and occasionally putting on and enjoying vinyl in its glorious unique analogue sound. For what it does very well, it has its own space and somehow can’t be replicated with even the best unlimited spending of digital. I’m mostly digital and how can you avoid it, it’s so good, and it’s everywhere streaming TV different media. Being what I’d consider a serious Audionut (phile) though, I will always keep a house space for it now and of course turntables and the whole experience will always be cool!

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dom, it's a shame that you are in this dliemna but understandable. If you are having to move around then dragging a huge pile of possessions with you is not ideal. (probably why I've only moved house once in 20 years! Can't cope with the stress) Only you can really decide how much of life's "baggage" is worth hanging on to

I couldn't imagine doing without vinyl as a source. Nor, for that matter, could I imagine doing without CD either - both sources are capable of musical magic in the right circumstances. Both involve a certain amount of commitment and ritual, and yes, storage space. But both of them reward me handsomely for the effort. How important that is to you may swing your decision one way or the other. I find it very difficult to connect with music purely through streaming (admittedly via internet radio rather than a subscription service) - the first thought through my head when I hear a track that catches my attention is not "let me add that to a playlist or favourites", but "can I get that on CD or LP?". That tells me something about the way I really like to relax and appreciate music.

You have an excellent analogue front end, and while it may be difficult to replace, it's not impossible. Years ago I ended up selling my "I'm never going to sell this" Voyd, basically because it was a case of either keeping it, and the rest of my system, or lose my house, as I was unemployed and desperate for the money. It hurt at the time, but... life priorities, and all that. I've been fortunate enough to buy the same model of TT back again, in fact, a better example than the one I originally owned, and so it can be done. In truth had I not found another Voyd I would probably have used it as an opportunity to try something else. OTOH I'll go to my grave with the Oxford Crystal Reference as that will be virtually impossible to replace!

If push came to shove I would take a long look at my LP collection and be a bit brutal about culling it, keeping the ones that really meant the most to me. Those non-essentials that were available on CD I'd consider swapping out, to reduce the storage requirement. I wouldn't give up on the LP format completely though, it gives me too much enjoyment.

Reactions: hiesteem

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks everyone there are some really great thoughts in here.

Many have said go without vinyl for a while. I have already been without my Luxman for nearly two years as I knew this day was coming and wasn’t sure whether to put the IO back on the Luxman or not. Also I was really getting into streaming and really wanted to focus on that. As @karlsushi said it’s the music not the source that counts and I have often commented about how much I enjoy my Robert radio. @ChemMan summed it up well with his left and right brain summary. And @Lurch could well be right that it may be difficult to sell or get a good price for the Luxman. And @rabski could well be right that selling the IO could be a regret.

The thing about not trying something for a while is that the brain knows that you still have that item. If you have sold it then your brain knows that you have sold it. Some of the music that I grew up with only heard on LP. On digital it didn’t necessarily sound right. One of my favourite albums is Goldfrapp’s Felt Mountain. I owned this on CD for 15 years before I managed to find it on LP for £90. It sounded completely different and I didn’t enjoy it as much. Some favourite albums only sound right on LP. Many have said to slim down the number of LPs. In the last year 700 have gone and am down to 1000. Maybe I could get down to less than 100 really important LPs. But why have a £12,000 turntable and Phonostage for 100 records?

@Rockchild and others talked about LPs being part of our lives and this is very true. It’s from our past. The question is does it form part of the future. I met up with the three wise men a month or so ago @Lurch @Speedracer @wizmax and Brook said something quite profound. He said find new memories. And that stuck with me. This July for the very first time in my life I will have zero responsibilities - no work, family etc etc. total freedom but 1200kgs of possessions will arrive in a few weeks and that doesn’t sound like freedom to me. Jason Bourne said that if you can’t leave in 30 minutes then you are not set up right. Ok am not a spy or assassin but stuff can get in the way.

I do believe that LPs sound better than the digital set up that I have been living with but the streaming sound is very good. I am really enjoying finding new music @garn63 And I am not thinking of selling the TT because I need the money. (In part it’s because the triple box for the Luxman is almost as big as my car)

But as evidence of my quandary I have bought two things this week. First three Japanese pressings of some favourite LPs and secondly a small retro LP cabinet that will hold 75 LPs because am thinking about slimming down the collection.

Anyway keep your thoughts coming because it really is helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.