Wammer Plus
Mar 29, 2020
Doncaster
primevehiclelogistics.com
AKA
Stewart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As some of you know I recently changed my speakers and TT.
I've now got the TT sounding.how I like it but the CD player is still low frequency heavy. My ears like more mid range frequency and the PMCs don't ha e this sound.
I can't afford to change the speakers yet without losing money on them, However I would get back what I paid for the Marantz SA8005 CDP.
My question is what CD player would you recommend that has a more brighter sound than the Marantz?

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Controversial suggestion I know, but it might be worth borrowing some ICs that are known to have a brighter presentation (Nordost springs to mind) to see if this helps.
For a hardware solution I would suggest looking at a Cambridge CXC or AudioLab 6000CDT transport and match it with one of the lower priced Chinese ESS based DACs from Topping, SMSL etc or possibly a Cambridge DacMagic 100 or Plus.

If your Marantz has a digital out I'd be happy to lend you a DacMagic Plus and/or FiiO Taishan matchbox DAC to see if this changes the sound to your liking, just give me a PM to sort.

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
well , I am perplexed why a marantz 8005 is low frequency heavy . i have used one for years with great success . there are however some superb deals on marantz around

I would continue to use the 8005 as they are not easy to sell above £399 and just get a decent dac as i do

https://petertyson.co.uk/marantz-cd-60-cd-player
I would think the OP just enjoys the sound of his records, truncated bass included. Switching to CD would reveal the "flawed" low frequency performance. If he positioned his speakers using the TT, that might present an overblown bass when using CD's.

Reactions: vinyl4ever

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got around £500. No need for SACD
Probably used as I'll get better value and hopefully better quality
The SA8005 is a nice player; I had one for years. You won't better it for your budget. It has a balanced sound quality.

As others have suggested, try a DAC with it. Remember, a DAC is about much more than the chip being used. There are some decent lower cist DACs around, but these are unlikely to be an improvement on what you have. A DAC would allow you to try out a different 'flavour', as it were.

If you really want to scratch an itch, then a decent condition Densen B400xs might be worth a look?

Having said all that, the sound you describe is much more likely to be a fundamental mismatch of speakers/room/amp.

• Upvote
Reactions: DomT and hifinutt

vinyl4ever

Mr
Wammer Plus
Mar 29, 2020
Doncaster
primevehiclelogistics.com
AKA
Stewart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The SA8005 is a nice player; I had one for years. You won't better it for your budget. It has a balanced sound quality.

As others have suggested, try a DAC with it. Remember, a DAC is about much more than the chip being used. There are some decent lower cist DACs around, but these are unlikely to be an improvement on what you have. A DAC would allow you to try out a different 'flavour', as it were.

If you really want to scratch an itch, then a decent condition Densen B400xs might be worth a look?

Having said all that, the sound you describe is much more likely to be a fundamental mismatch of speakers/room/amp.

Having said all that, the sound you describe is much more likely to be a fundamental mismatch of speakers/room/amp......

I have to agree, previously the amp was paired with Celestion 33s and lately some Mission 730s 4 way and both sounded great to my ears.
Now I've fettled the TT I have a pretty close match sound wise, but the CD player is bass heavy ( tbh it always has been even with my previous speakers) but through the previous 2 it was borderline.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would think the OP just enjoys the sound of his records, truncated bass included. Switching to CD would reveal the "flawed" low frequency performance.
For me this statement does not stack up .. Having had Meridian and many other CD players in the system the one thing that always amazes me is how much better the bass is on my LPs.
If you are ever in Northampton you are welcome to come and listen and compare the two. All i can say is for me there is nothing flawed about the bass reproduction on LPs

• Upvote
Reactions: DT79

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As some of you know I recently changed my speakers and TT.
I've now got the TT sounding.how I like it but the CD player is still low frequency heavy. My ears like more mid range frequency and the PMCs don't ha e this sound.
If you've replaced both your speakers and your TT you've lost your reference.
Maybe the new TT sounds bass-light (is it well set up?) and/or the speakers bass-heavy?
Generally CD players are reasonably neutral.

If you "like more mid range frequency and the PMCs don't ha e this sound" then perhaps the PMCs are not the right speaker for you.

Reactions: vinyl4ever

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As others have said it’s unlikely that the Marantz is the problem as they tend to be very neutral players. Worth trying out Lurches idea. Tellurium cables tend to sound clearer than most and that could reduce some of the bloom in the bass. What cables are you using now?

Also worth checking that the T/T is set up correctly as I wouldn’t expect there to be the difference that you say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles