Wammer
Wammer
Jan 26, 2013
Wiltshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have owned this superb DAC for several years and during that time if has evolved at the hands of the excellent Robert Airey of Aired Audio (Open Door): Jolida UK importer and the acknowledged expert at modifying the FX (among myriad other components, especially Jolida and Black Ice Audio). 

Initially, Rob upgraded the output and power supply caps to Clarity, which remains the most common basic upgrade for this unit. My unit then went back to Rob a year later for his first ever VeeCap upgrade - a costly but significant improvement. Then a year of so ago it went back again for the ultimate conversion to Modwright caps and silver output wiring. This made an amazing difference, facilitating rich bass and more emotional engagement. It's fab.

I am only selling it because I have invested heavily in a very expensive CD/DAC combo (nearly £10k new) in an attempt to lower the box count and become more genteel.  Even then my new uber player lacks the FX's attack and boogie (it's just a tad quieter and more liquid - buy hey, at many times the price...).

The FX responds very well to tube rolling and fuse tweaking, too, but is supplied with new stock factory Tungsol tubes (which sound very good). 

I didn't want the Mk3 originally because it doesn't look as nice and I wouldn't use the small jack headphone facility it has. And this one sounds much nicer to my ears than any latest DSD version, modded or otherwise.

It owes me a packet, of course, but £395 buys it, posted. 

Mods: 

1. Cast silver wired on the output. Wire is PTFE wrapped and screened with drain wire.
2. Output caps are the best that fit. Modwright M series Truth. Oil impregnated metalised polypropylene dielectric with pure coper tined leads.
3. Power supply board cap same type.
IMG_5770.jpeg

IMG_5772.jpeg

IMG_5767.jpeg

IMG_5764.jpeg

IMG_5774.jpeg

IMG_5766.jpeg

IMG_5762.jpeg

Reactions: hifinutt

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Damn. If i hadn't bought a stupid tv last week.

Glwts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online