Legend Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2016
South Midlands.
AKA
Walter Fagen.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wharfedale Dentons, ( I think.) 5 years. Great for a Student.
Kef Cantors. 4 years. Bit odd tonally but ok..
Heybrook HB1s 14 years. Just great.
Proac 1SCs 23 years. Just really great.

Obviously, sources and amps got a bit better over time.

Fullrange

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 12, 2015
Torquay
AKA
Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Now where do I start....

Jamo? 1984
Kef?
Mission?
Ruark Sabre MK2
Magnepan SMGa
Volt / London Decca
Living voice auditorium
Epos es11
Tannoy Lancaster
Harbeth Monitor HL
Ruark Epilogue
Various vintage models that I modified
Genexxa LX5
Acoustic Precision FR1
Beauhorn Accelerando ( lowther PM6a )
Various kit / home made
Tannoy pro monitors
Monitor Audio PL100 mk1
Monitor Audio PL300 mk1
Rogers LS3/5a
Magnepan SMGb
Rehdeko rk 115
Audiostatic
Ruark
Opera Consonance M15
JBL L100 ( vintage )
Quad ESL57
Spendor Classic 2/3.
Back to Lowther horns ( PM6A )

Last edited:

Dogwithnotail

Underperforming idiot
Wammer Plus
Apr 10, 2022
Warwickshire
AKA
Ash
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Trying to remember, especially the early days so here goes:

B&W DM110.
Celestion 3
Mordaunt Short MS10i
JPW Sonata
Quad ESL 63
Tannoy Arden (original)
Magneplanar SMGb
+ REL storm
Quad 22L2
PMC Fb1i

topoxforddoc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2009
Cheltenham, , United
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Celestion Ditton 15XR

Mordaunt Arundel (1966 design with Decca Ribbon tweeter) - still have
Stirling LS3/5a (1999 - original T27/B110) with Rogers AB1 - still have
LS3/5a clones (KefKit CS1a - T27/B110) - still have

Avantgarde Duo 2.2 - current main system
Wilmslow Audio HSM custom built - study system

Linear

Wammer
Nov 7, 2022
Lancashire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Only two speakers.

First was a pair of Mission M72, I like these speakers, they are now stored in the loft, I might dig them out one day and give them another listen.

Next up was a pair of pre-owned Linn 109's, I have had these speakers for about 12 years.

Boycie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2010
Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Only two speakers.

First was a pair of Mission M72, I like these speakers, they are now stored in the loft, I might dig them out one day and give them another listen.

Next up was a pair of pre-owned Linn 109's, I have had these speakers for about 12 years.
This won't take long....

Kef small cheap bookshelf 2 ways, can't remember what they were but sealed quick but with bugger all bass.

WAD KLS9's which I had for a long time but now Jack NSM is the new owner. Fairly large floor stander ported two way with aerogel mid bass drivers. Transparent and good bass and soundstage.

Currently, Wharfdale Evo 4.4 three way floor standers with AMT tweeters. Balanced, Transparent and I love em!

Boycie

Mantra Maniac

New Wammer
Oct 31, 2021
France
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
First were a pair of unknown 12" drivers in a furniture store hi fi cabinet driven by a Kenwood(Trio) receiver. Sound was nothing special.
Next was a pair of Wharfedale E70s fed by a Sony TA-F450ESD amp. OMG! I was hooked.
Then was living on a boat with no room for the E70s so bought a pair of Bower & Wilkins designed bookshelves called Rock Solids. Incredible for such small speakers. They moved so much air they would blow off the driver shield if I turned them up really loud.
Next was a pair of KEF C75s donated by a friend who had blown the tweeters at a party. I replaced the tweets but they never really did it for me. Just sounded lifeless and dull.
Today is a pair of Paul Carmody designed 3-way towers that I built myself. Love them to bits and won't be looking to replace them, ever. Still using the mid 80s Sony amp..................Rock on!

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
YO12 5HX
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
started out in the late 80's with some technics kit.
Then the following speakers that I can remember.

Tannoy don't know model were really bass light. weird shape 6 edges as you looked from the top, remember thinking as a teenager that they were it and thought £149 was expensive LOL

Jamo Ruark icon ( I consider these my first pair of decent speakers )
Tannoy Floorstaanders cant remember model
Mission I think 737
b&w 802
opera callas gold
Proac Responce 1SC
Proac D1 and D2
Pmc twentyfive 21
Pmc Twentyfive 22
now on some Kudos super 10A. these are my keeper speakers , have no intention of changing them they are perfect all rounders, to beat them I'd have to spend a considerable amount of money , I don't have and wouldn't see or feel the need to even if I won the lottery, they are that good.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was trying to remember my earlier speakers recently so decided to list them - not for this thread but just for my own reference. The descriptions are a little exhaustive I'm afraid, but here it is:

My Speaker History

Home built Concrete Column speaker with 10" upwards-facing full-range driver (mono) inspired by Gilbert Briggs' description in his "Cabinet Handbook"

Home built Wharfedale Airedale speakers, prompted by Gilbert Briggs' comment in his 1962 Cabinet Handbook "Probably difficult or impossible to make at home, we are including drawings as they may be helpful in more remote corners of the earth". I was living in London, but accepted the challenge. 15Ω, 15", 8" and 3" drivers in 4.5 cu ft 6-sided enclosures.

Same Airedale enclosures but modified with KEF drivers – 15Ω, B139 "racetrack" bass, B110 and T27 drivers, now all facing forward. Greatly improved stereo imaging

Acoustic Research AR-1. 4Ω, 12” driver with 8” tweeter! The original 1954 Acoustic Research speaker that was similar in size to subsequent and far more successful 3-way AR3 and AR3A models. I found this single speaker at a London furniture auction sale.

Westrex 2326A studio monitors c1961 with 15" bass and pressure dome tweeters. Very rare - bought after placing a Wanted ad in local paper in the Under £20 section. Pretty good buy for £20! 16Ω

Acoustic Research Teledyne AR94. 6Ω 87dB, Twin 8” bass drivers. Rather disappointing sound-wise, but they looked rather good

KEF Reference 107 speakers. 4Ω 90dB, Twin 10" bass drivers totally enclosed within the body of the speaker, plus swivelling head with B110 and T33 drivers and CUBE. Great speakers from 1986, rarely seen in UK

ATC Active 50 speakers, bought ex-demo from ATC. 15Ω, 9" bass, ATC mid and Vifa tweeter. Didn't like these speakers - I wanted to push them 20 ft further away!

Avantgarde Uno horn speakers. 8Ω 101dB, Twin 10" self-powered bass, plus mid and top horns. Bought after disappointment of ATCs and reading Stereophile's rave review and award of Best Speaker of the Year. Great speakers. kept for 17 years.

QUAD 2905 full-range electrostatics with transformer mods to 2912 spec. 8Ω nominal 86dB. Bought used for experiment with electrostatics as not intended to keep. Sounded surprisingly good, even in my difficult room. Inspired next purchase -

Martin Logan Expression 13A electrostatics. 4Ω or less 91dB, Twin 10" bass, plus large electrostatic panel. After reading great reviews and convincing showroom demo, I bought these new only to find out that they were unsuitable for my room.

Avantgarde Duo (circa 2006) horns bought used at a bargain price in 2020. 8Ω 104dB, Same bass as Unos but improved horn sections. Bought after the disappointment of the MLs. I modified the support system to improve appearance. Still have these great speakers

Avantgarde Duo XD horn speakers bought in 2020. 18Ω 107dB, Twin 12" bass with built-in amps and room correction DSP, plus mid and top horns. My current speakers - again with modifications to improve appearance. Fantastic speakers if lifelike sound is wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xtinct1