Question Who said this about his products versus the rest?

A question.

Steveh

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2007
Darkest Yorkshire
AKA
tallow vendor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A hugely influential figure in the HiFi industry once said this to potential customers "If you can't hear the difference, it's not worth worth talking to you"

Reactions: lowendall

Steveh

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2007
Darkest Yorkshire
AKA
tallow vendor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have no answer to the above, but does anyone remember this phrase being used?:
"If you can't afford Radford, get Quad"
I don't know either, but I recall that a reviewer(can't remember who) once wrote something like " if you like the PRAT of Naim, but can't afford their amp, buy Creek amplifier.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gonna guess its either Nordost or Linn, though Naim would be another option?

I remember Mr. Ratner's faux pas, he lived opposite my parents at the time and the street was stuffed with reporters for a few days. He had of course gone to ground, as any normal dude would. Nice chap apparently.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice chap crap apparently.
FTFY 😁

I recall the downfall of the Ratner empire too - it was a swift and monumental collapse IIRC from being one of the largest high street jewellers chains to, well, nothing. Imagine what a field day (anti)social media would have with that if it had existed back in the day when he made that fateful comment!

To the OPs question - I don't know the genuine answer but I wouldn't be surprised if it had been someone from the Absolute Sounds group

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would have taken a guess at PQ, but he's normally more diplomatic than that. Tim de Paravicini didn't suffer fools gladly, but wasn't overly 'if you can hear it' oriented, rather more practical.

No idea really. I do know who it was that said their amplifiers were effectively flawless, and then went on to introduce more than a few new and upgraded versions.

Reactions: bigrod

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A hugely influential figure in the HiFi industry once said this to potential customers "If you can't hear the difference, it's not worth worth talking to you"
Whilst hardly diplomatic, the statement probably was technically accurate from a business perspective.

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have to that in all my years of Naim ownership and dealers, I never once heard that pitch/saying.
The 'foot tapping' is a different matter. That said, if my music doesnt get my feet (at least) moving there is, IME, usually something wrong. Fortunately, my systems have banged out the tunes for many years - it's a pre-requisite.

I met JV once, very briefly, he seemed like a decent chap - he was visiting the shop where I was discussing a new LP12. IIRC I him told his CD players were too expensive. How he laughed - all the way to the bank. 🤣

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles