Wammer
Wammer
Jan 18, 2010
Surrey, , United Kin
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow, a whole new realm is opening out in front of me!

But that then brings issues of choice and what to go for.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones to use at home, so they can be open or closed back. I've never used open back so don't really know what i'm letting myself in for!

I don't want to blow a fortune if it turns out I just can't get on with them, but I do have a pair of real cheap AKG K.44 closed backs that I got from Richer Sounds years back, which may help to establish the basic principle.

For example, I was considering the Grado SR325e that was well reviewed by What HiFi but then that could be a waste if putting that money towards something better, like say the Beyerdynamic Amiron, would yield significantly better results?

I'm going to check with my local Richer Sounds to see if they do Headphone auditions.

hifi.tiger

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2015
Check out the online marketplaces for Audioquest Nighthawks, well liked and reviewed...

paulkebab

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Definitely audition I almost got a pair of Audeze LCD3 until I heard them. I found the Grado SR325 a bit shouty sometimes, my current everyday faves are Shure SRH1540's. If you decide to buy blind use Amazon or similar with a good return policy just in case.

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you don't mind buying used the open back Sennheiser HD540 Ref 2s are very good & worth looking out for. 
Very good focus & clarity which many more recent & far more expensive Sennheisers lack. Bass is just a touch light.
Good luck. :)

v1nn1e

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 18, 2010
Surrey, , United Kin
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmmm, HD800's - I guess I was avoiding second hand headphones that have been around someone else's ears/hair etc! Just being squeamish I guess  9_9  A little bit more than I was intending to spend, but I guess that is excellent VfM.

I have seen a pair of brand new AKG K812 Pro's, slightly above budget but, possibly, extremely good VfM.

M

Millennium

Very happy with my DT990s @ 600ohms

I just don't use them. They compare very well to my speakers though, in my bed rooms.

v1nn1e

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 18, 2010
Surrey, , United Kin
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do need low-ish impedance to work with my FiiO BTR3 portable Bluetooth receiver.

I think I may now be leaning towards the Shure SRH 1840. Just seems to be more even handed and less of an acquired taste. I'm on the fence with the K812 - it may be stunning, but a number of mixed reviews. On the other hand, they were all when it cost in the $1000 price range.

Hmmm....

v1nn1e

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 18, 2010
Surrey, , United Kin
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So, finally made my decision!  :D

All the fun of researching reviews, umming and ahhing, is finally over - which is a shame as that can be so enjoyable, all the anticipation!

Anyway, I've actually bought two pairs!

I decided in a flight to safety and went for the Shure SRH 1840. These are going to be so way beyond and above anything I've ever heard before that I doubt I'll be disappointed!

As that left me a bit under budget, I've thrown the rest and a bit more at a pair of Sony MDR 1000x, on offer 'like new' from Amazon Warehouse. I'll use these at work and on the train instead of in-ears and an ancient very budget pair of AKGs.

I'm sure we'll all be very happy together!  ;)

Reactions: tkimages

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You won’t be disappointed. I spent ages trying out/researching headphones and the only ones (at a sensible price) that came anywhere near my speakers were the Shures.  Haven’t regretted it since.

Mehak Arora

New Wammer
Nov 9, 2021
We are well aware of the fact that headphone is a music output device which when connected to a laptop, computer, phone or any other device enables us to hear the sound output and also input our voice through the speaker attached.

Get yourself immersed in colors of musical bliss through selecting from the wide variety of open-back headphones at pleasant prices. 

headphone.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles