What would you replace an OPPO 105D with these days?

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Mine is still running strong, but it is abandonware. I've been thinking about an Oppo 203, but it is also abandoned. I only use this device to stream video from my NAS to my plasma and as a headphone DAC/amp.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It sounds crass to answer “with another one” but I know how highly regarded the 105D is so there will surely be folk out there with a spare in the attic just in case… the most likely failure point is the drive of course but usually these are pretty generic and available.
I continue to enjoy my 20-year-old CD player and keep an eye out for backup of same.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mine is still running strong, but it is abandonware. I've been thinking about an Oppo 203, but it is also abandoned. I only use this device to stream video from my NAS to my plasma and as a headphone DAC/amp.
I don’t have a particular product in mind - sorry - but if you’re streaming and using as a headphone amp, then something from Oppo that I thought was primarily renowned for its transport seems a slightly odd choice.

Actually, there is the Reavon range in case you’ve not encountered them. They seem to be an Oppo-like device, possibly made under licence. More here…https://reavon.co.uk/index.php/shop/

Last edited:
Reactions: Bazzer

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It sounds crass to answer “with another one” but I know how highly regarded the 105D is so there will surely be folk out there with a spare in the attic just in case… the most likely failure point is the drive of course but usually these are pretty generic and available.
I continue to enjoy my 20-year-old CD player and keep an eye out for backup of same.
This is what I was wondering...but really, has no one bettered the OPPO in this space after five years? The used OPPO price is maybe $1500 for a 203, and nudging 4K for the 205. That sort of money should find something with this picture quality and can pass along a PCM stream for my Linn or cheapo soundbar to make audio? Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Parasound are still in business, but OPPO couldn't.

I.D.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 14, 2021
This is what I was wondering...but really, has no one bettered the OPPO in this space after five years? The used OPPO price is maybe $1500 for a 203, and nudging 4K for the 205. That sort of money should find something with this picture quality and can pass along a PCM stream for my Linn or cheapo soundbar to make audio? Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Parasound are still in business, but OPPO couldn't.
It's not if the picture or sound quality can be bettered,they can. But not in one machine with such flexability sadly,for example if you wish 5.1 analogue out for say sacd few manufacturers cater for this .
Many people bought the Oppos because they could at the time be used as a digital hub rather than a truly universal player. :unsure:

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It's not if the picture or sound quality can be bettered,they can. But not in one machine with such flexability sadly,for example if you wish 5.1 analogue out for say sacd few manufacturers cater for this .
Many people bought the Oppos because they could at the time be used as a digital hub rather than a truly universal player. :unsure:
Yes, I too bought it as a streaming hub and, at the time, preamp. I've spun three or four disks on it total. So what do you recommend that can stream video from my NAS at the same picture quality. I've seen a few Android based streamers mentioned, or a Pioneer DVD player.

Reactions: alan967tiger

I.D.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 14, 2021
Yes, I too bought it as a streaming hub and, at the time, preamp. I've spun three or four disks on it total. So what do you recommend that can stream video from my NAS at the same picture quality. I've seen a few Android based streamers mentioned, or a Pioneer DVD player.
The Pioneer is well thought of and of course the Reavon,depends on your output requirements. HDMI,digital,analogue,etc into your processor/amplifier.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
For my use case only HDMI out to the tv for video. I occasionally like having it's second HDMI out to feed my hifi. I have been using the headphone section of the 105D once a month.... Yet this is the only thing that keeps me dreaming about buying an overpriced 205. So analog isn't needed.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I bought a Zidoo Z9X. Seems to be a great little local streamer for £149. I dunno if it's the stunning picture my LG G2 makes, or if it's the Zidoo, but it looks great. The latest QNAP update today broke Jellyfin, but it's a really full featured device that allows multiple methods to access files on my NAS.

I did a bit of internet scuttlebutt research on it, and there's some Russian wizard on YouTube that makes videos that take a deep dive into video output quality. The Zidoo fared well according to him. I was originally thinking about an nvidia shield pro, but I don't really need the streaming components it excels in, and it's an older chipset/design that some are commenting on.

After a couple of weeks with it I'm happy, and I can almost move on from the Oppo, except for the fantastic headphone section.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been running a Z10 pro for a couple of years now, zero regrets with a small box (same footprint as yours?) that can house rips of every DVD and BLU-RAY I ever purchased. But higher up their food chain are models like the neo alpha. That has headphone out, and while the price is significantly higher it is still typically good value from them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles