Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Amazing Grace

Story of William Wilberforce’s campaign to abolish slavery. Benedict Cumberbatch as William Pitt, Ciaran Hinds, Michael Gambon, Albert Finney (as John Newton - ex slave ship master and writer of the hymn) and also Yousou N’Dour.

Very good film.

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Fifth Estate.   

A film about Julian Assange and Wikileaks.  Benedict Cumberbatch as Assange.

hylander

(Fairly) Standard Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 23, 2010
Sunny Stratford
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Half way through season 3 of the box set and boy, is it as good as I remembered…..

1-4670306535.jpg

Person Of Interest

Reactions: Amber Audio

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bond at the VUE in Leamington Spa, the picturehouse time forgot.

Bond was good, it didn't seem too long, which is a good thing.

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tommy (Netflix) I saw it in 1975 and didn't really like it , probably too young to appreciate it , anyway really enjoyed it .

Reactions: philb36

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I received a recommendation from someone who was ejected from here some time ago. For the film Das Blaue Licht directed by and starring Leni Riefenstahl, in 1932 before she got caught up in megalomania.

There's a copy of it on YT  - the German-only one is the best quality and the dialogue is so scant as to be barely any trouble if you can muddle through German. Essentially it is a silent film where what would have been inter-titles have just been spoken aloud and there aren't many of them.  The musical score is superb and it's been carefully plotted to fit. There's a bit where the 'hero' shouts 'Junta!' (her character's name) and then the musical cue matches it tonally. The way the music carries the film is what makes more like a silent film. It uses leitmotif, but not in crude sort of way.

The photography is spectacular. So much outside photography in 1932 with those cumbersome cameras and done so well. Some of the set pieces are without doubt on a built set, but it's just seamless.  There so much clever use of the landscape and natural elements, The swirling clouds and mists play a role themselves, even at one point where instead of a standard fadeout the camera focuses on a black sky where the last of the travelling cloud disappears into the top corner. The editing is also superior.

The crystal-in-the-caves thing is really like a 'MacGuffin'. The story is many things from many sources. Steeped in Swabian type, central European folklore. Fear of unknowns and imaginary things in dangerous places where village folklore has arisen to make people behave in a precautious way.  It's also a bit Gothic, a bit vampire without a vampire.
The character Riefenstahl portrays is like a sort of wolf-child. Though she's practically asexual in the film there is a lyric eroticism about her. I don't think she's beautiful, but she's striking and fascinating to look at. You can tell she's a silent film actress and the same performance style runs through all the characters. I think this is a good thing. It gives the film an other-wordly, ethereal feel, like in Nosferatu, but in that non-pantomime way.

I recommend this film to you if you haven't seen it before.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Saw the new version of West Side Story on Tuesday at our mobile cinema - excellent all round.

Le Baron

Fully exonerated
Wammer
Oct 18, 2020
Pays-Bas
AKA
Jean-Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just watched Bergman's Wild Strawberries. A long time since I saw it. A beautiful film.

Reactions: pmcuk

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been watching Film Noir classics on Youtube to harmonise with the sombre mood at present.

City That Never Sleeps
Too Late for Tears with the wonderful Lizabeth Scott and Dan Duryea

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles