Question What’s best, Optical or Coaxial Inputs?

A question.

Tony T

Tony T
Wammer
Jul 14, 2020
London
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I believe that to a certain extent it may depend upon what DAC you are using and what you are connecting to but as a general rule what input is technically better, Coaxial or Optical?
I labour under the impression that coaxial is better but have no real idea why. I may of read that Optical is often implemented cheaper, poorer component etc but can’t remember if it was a opinion or based on facts?
One thing I have noted is the apparent lack of dressed up or fancy inputs with Optical, the receptacles look like they are all made in the same factory biggest difference being colour of input flap.

While we’re at it, is AES/EBU or BNC a better option if available and why? i2s from my very limited understanding is not really appropriate for connections between boxes but is used in rather short paths between components on the same or adjacent boards in a single product.

Maybe a member with some actual technical knowledge can provide a bit of input:sleep: to set me straight?

Reactions: Roo

Nifkin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2019
Highgate London
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does anyone know if a faulty optical cable can have a detrimental effect on sound quality, or is it always a case of it either works properly or it doesn't work at all? I ask because I appear to be having an issue with the optical connection from my TV into my streamer/DAC: occasionally, when watching a movie, the sound loses it's bottom end and the high frequencies sound pronounced and distorted. If I switch the TV and DAC off/on and start the film again the problem disappears. Therefore it's either an issue with the TV's output, the optical cable or the DAC (although the DAC performs perfectly with other sources and this is only a problem when watching TV).

Any ideas would be welcomed :)

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Nifkin if you need a spare optical cable PM me as I have lot's that are not being used. At least if you have an alternative optical cable to try you can then rule that out of the issue or solve the problem .

Reactions: Nifkin

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does anyone know if a faulty optical cable can have a detrimental effect on sound quality, or is it always a case of it either works properly or it doesn't work at all? I ask because I appear to be having an issue with the optical connection from my TV into my streamer/DAC: occasionally, when watching a movie, the sound loses it's bottom end and the high frequencies sound pronounced and distorted. If I switch the TV and DAC off/on and start the film again the problem disappears. Therefore it's either an issue with the TV's output, the optical cable or the DAC (although the DAC performs perfectly with other sources and this is only a problem when watching TV).

Any ideas would be welcomed

optical cables either work or they don’t. There is no halfway Partial connections as can happen with strands or wire, are not possible with optical glass or plastic. It could be an intermittent connnection, but that would result in whole packet dropping, rather than any frequency contained within.

Id look at TVs audio output settings. Make sure these are set to PCM.
then look at your DAC settingsm if there are options.
Also Easy enough to try another optical cable if you are in doubt.
Amazon Basics are great

Nifkin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2019
Highgate London
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
optical cables either work or they don’t. There is no halfway Partial connections as can happen with strands or wire, are not possible with optical glass or plastic. It could be an intermittent connnection, but that would result in whole packet dropping, rather than any frequency contained within.

Id look at TVs audio output settings. Make sure these are set to PCM.
then look at your DAC settingsm if there are options.
Also Easy enough to try another optical cable if you are in doubt.
Amazon Basics are great
That makes plenty of sense. Once I change optical cable (to eliminate that as an issue) I guess I need to look at what the TV is doing: I know its external audio output is set to PCM, but it is a 10-year-old TV, so may be being temperamental.

Last edited:

E600

Wammer
Jan 29, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally, coax now, used to like the theory of fibre optics, but general concerns seems to be against these days

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly with the optical system it is an end to end system that needs to be checked and upgraded were nessesary . Each connection consists of a receiver /sender socket the Optical cable and the receiver / sender socket at the other end . All of these have to be of good quality and not as is the case the cheapest built down to a price compnent socket used in most equipment . At the start of digital AT&T had an optical system using very good quality sockets from the telephone industry and some small producers used them . These were high quality and when used with a decent quality glass optical cable sounded superb . Sadly as they were more expensive than TOSLINK sockets major makers went the cheap and cheerful .

As far as I know there is no one making higher quality TOSLINK sockets and so this is the thing constricting the performance of this connection .

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Glass optical cables are reputed to be better but I've not bought one to check.

Opinion is divided on whether electrical coax or optical toslink is better. The latter is supposed to be electrically isolated and hence better but I find more detail with coax Vs plastic optical. Oh and better coax cables DEFINITELY sound different/ better regardless of what some say. Have done multiple comparisons with friends, and a blind test at a bake off in Henley (brilliantly organised by Jester with his Kii speakers and digital box). Have to admit I don't recall the findings of the latter though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles