Wammers Rendezvous/Collection Points

Phil48

Wammer
Wammer
May 13, 2022
wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hi all im happy to help any wammer, im in Cwmbran south wales, junction 25a M4. Cardiff 20 mins, Swansea less than hour, M50 midlands less than hour, myself or wife home most days, to safely store, hi fi components until picked up, plus there is always coffee or tea available

Last edited:

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 'South Coast Posse' recently used the Rusty Cutter in Bedhampton (A3/A27 interchange) as a meeting place. Its a Beefeater and the approach road is unrestricted parking and somewhat off the beaten track. Looks very safe.

Jack NSM

Reactions: Phil48

wizmax

"Inestimable" Reel to Reel expert
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2010
Hayling Island
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The 'South Coast Posse' recently used the Rusty Cutter in Bedhampton (A3/A27 interchange) as a meeting place. Its a Beefeater and the approach road is unrestricted parking and somewhat off the beaten track. Looks very safe.

Jack NSM
But virtually unusable during the week as lots of commuters meet up there so no parking.

Reactions: Non-Smoking Man

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Junction A34 and A4, Newbury (Berks)- 100 yards on the A4 signposted for Hungerford there is a pull in at the Gatehouse (to some mansion, presumably). Loads of room for a couple of vehicles and the entrance may not be in use as it is firmly shut by large iron , well, 'gates'.

Jack

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Watford Gap Services (M1) - I noticed there was a pedestrian bridge across the motorway, so there is access to and from both carriageways, which is what we a re looking for..

Jack NSM

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Watford Gap Services (M1) - I noticed there was a pedestrian bridge across the motorway, so there is access to and from both carriageways, which is what we a re looking for..

Jack NSM
These seem increasingly scarce these days, though having crossed one or two, they can be fairly hair-raising iirc! I guess these days they see insufficient benefit to build these. The ideal services are off the side of a junction, so you can meet from either direction, and turn around to get back home without the need to continue outbound! But they’re few and far between.

mathuyaar76

New Wammer
Nov 9, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have only 4 s-class hyperdrive upgrades, and the latter trips from 3 to 4 and from 4 to 5 only took 2-3 jumps each. If you need more, you're far off the track or don't follow the right line.

• Mind Blown
Reactions: Lawrence001

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am just getting old as I could have sworn I posted that i could collect and hold any items in the area until collection / taxi could be arranged . Well I have done it now and apologies for not sorting this before . I am based in Liverpool and can get to most places via three different Motorways (M53/M6/M62)

Reactions: Tony_J and Phil48

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wam Taxis are becoming more and more common as the Wam rank and file lose confidence in professional couriers' abilities and integrity.

Would it be a good idea, then, to provide a database (by means of this thread), for good rendezvous locations where we can meet and pick up and/or drop off equipment under own own steam..?

What we want is proximity to major routes, parking, toilet facilities and somewhere to wait inconspicuously and maybe grab a bite and a coffee.

Here are 3 quickies to get the ball rolling:

1. The Starbucks on the M23/A23 just north of the M25 junction. (Coming from the south you can cross the central reservation to reach it);
2. Leicester Forest East M1 (One of the few service stations with a bridge so you can meet despite travelling from opposite directions);
3. Brampton Hut - junction of A1 (M) and A14. Bang on the A14 near Huntingdon there is a cluster of likely watering holes e'g., a Starbucks and Brewers' Fayre on the left heading east on A14.

Jack NSM
Tebay services on the M6 near Penrith may be useful for the northerly contingent - a Northbound and a Southbound services, connected by a private road that gives access to the hotel which is on the Northbound side. Excellent cafeterias on both sides and the hotel is excellent, and has a very serious restaurant if you need to stop over. We've used it many times over the years as a stopping off point on trips to Englandshire. The same lot also own Cairn Lodge on the M74 nearer to Glasgow - only one site but accessible from both directions. No hotel, but the caff is up to scratch.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am in Guiseley just outside Leeds Not to far from the M62.

I am happy to take in any kit in transit and look after it till collection for ongoing travel or by the new owner...

Sorry I'd better mention no brews or listening sessions much as I'd like to sadly because Hilary & I are in isolation for a few months yet☹️

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online