hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I had these guys around this week to take my neighbour off my main line cable into the house. The purpose is so we can both have enough amps to plug in an electric car in the future, with 100 amps being required to do so.
The only inconvenience is having the drive dug up, but they filled it back and it looks better now than previously.
I had to smile at the thickness of the cable they used to replace the old wire and the huge piece of copper wire protruding from the cables as they rewired them into a new junction box.
So Uk power network are very busy doing this all over the country as a lot of older homes will be running a spur off of one main line cable which minimises the amplitude to 60, which is not enough to serve an electric car.
More importantly, does the HiFi sound better? not sure, but my washing up's cleaner.........:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
House over the road has electric charger, don't remember UK power digging up the drive.
I knew that question would come up. So I live in an old semi, circa the 1950s, back in the day, when supplies and just about everything else were short.
Conseqently a lot of these old house's shared a spur coming in from the main line. In my case, I have the main line in and my neighbour had the spur coming off of it. That spur has been taken off and a new mainline cable running into his house.
I now have my mainline serving my house, only. This allows us to upgrade the meter and fuse to power an electric charger.
All new builds are now having their own mainline to facilitate the charger and all the other electric upgrades for the future.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
True but same as adding a spur that some people do for their hifi.
Not necessarily. In my room the dedicated spur feeds an individual plug outlet, all the other plugs remain on the existing ring - so I have the option to plug into either. As I am currently trying a new position for my system I have it on the old ring main, as soon as I make up a new extension lead with a longer cable I will be able to A-B fairly easily with the dedicated spur.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not necessarily. In my room the dedicated spur feeds an individual plug outlet, all the other plugs remain on the existing ring - so I have the option to plug into either. As I am currently trying a new position for my system I have it on the old ring main, as soon as I make up a new extension lead with a longer cable I will be able to A-B fairly easily with the dedicated spur.
OK, lets us know the results.

Reactions: hiesteem

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK, lets us know the results.
I have a number of tweaks to re-introduce following the system move and the un-pack from Stoke. Whilst strange to reference in terms of percentages, my impression from only a fairly quick listen so far is that the sound is only 70% of what I would typically expect - the 'missing' 30% is either due to system position change or the tweaks, including dedicated mains. What would be interesting (for me at least) is to add the tweaks back in individually and evaluate the impact of each.

I have a running thread - Room Alcoves and Speakers in Two Channel that I will update with this.

Reactions: hiesteem

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well that's one way of doing a hybrid I guess. Wonder how much Elon charged him for the TeslaGO portable charging unit ?

• Haha
Reactions: uzzy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles