Wammer
Wammer
Jan 5, 2011
Leeds, UK
AKA
Andy Wicks
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Krell preamp has an error code and won’t switch on. I’ve bought a passive preamp to make do, but would love to get the Krell fixed. Any recommendations on where to send it would be very welcome? (Audio Republic in Leeds is my go-to shop, so that could be an option?)

Thanks in advance!

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mike Powell in Bolton is very good but as a result also very busy as well so keep this in mind .

Reactions: gwernaffield

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Krell preamp has an error code and won’t switch on. I’ve bought a passive preamp to make do, but would love to get the Krell fixed. Any recommendations on where to send it would be very welcome? (Audio Republic in Leeds is my go-to shop, so that could be an option?)

Thanks in advance!
Have you tried dropping Krell a line? They may well have service arrangements, and will certainly be able to interpret the error code which will inform whoever takes it on where to start.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have you tried dropping Krell a line? They may well have service arrangements, and will certainly be able to interpret the error code which will inform whoever takes it on where to start.
@Jazid The UK contact for Krell is Absolute Sounds and having dealt with them in the past service costs are made up in their head then increased by fifty percent just make sure you feel really cheated . Krell will almost certainly suggest that the OP contact them while I would advise him to run away as fast as he can . It may well in the end be the only option but try other options first . I would though agree that sending an e-mail of the issue and asking them if they could say what the issue is as armed with this any service engineer then had a path to follow .

Reactions: toprepairman

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did you get any joy with your Krell? Do share, useful for others in the future 😊

gwernaffield

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
May 27, 2012
north wales
AKA
pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
just had Mike Powell replace all the caps in my 280p , along with repairing a second one , he is not cheap but will give you a 12 month warranty on the work done, great service , and friendly genuine krell replacement CPU was needed on the older broken 280p which is now up and running , mike contacted krell and worked with them to find the problem with the 2nd 280p , he also can reset the fault using the codes given to him by Krell , it was cost effective way of keeping a good pre amp and at the same time meeting a engineer who was very helpful and knew his stuff

Last edited:
Reactions: bencat

psi310398

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2011
London
I have lost track of him, but is Mark Dolbear in High Wycombe still taking in high end HiFi equipment for repair?

He rescued a CEC amp of mine about a decade ago and the service and result were faultless.

ISTR that he had worked for at least one of the high end manufacturers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles