Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Townshend Audio An owners impressions.

As I was asked to do a review of my recent purchase of the 2000 speakers, that are almost custom-built by Max Townshend –he only produced 4 sets, we believe – I thought I’d fill it out a bit with other Max equipment.

I recall ELITE Townshend stuff appearing late 70s/early 80s; pre-amps, power amps, etc in strange little cases. Stephen (Faig) can possibly produce pictures of them as he sold a set very recently.

I recall seeing the 2000s reviewed in the early 80s, and I remember a VERY tall column speaker he made with, if I recall, about 4 ribbons, 8 mids plus 4 bass units per side, the sound being cylindrical rather than dispersive (I forget the correct technical term, and can’t find the review!). It seemed to mean that the inverse law of diminishing returns in volume somehow didn’t apply. I’m hoping Serge will appear from the wings here and fill me in on this!

My first ownership experience was changing from a full Linn/Ittok/Karma set-up to a Mk 2 Rock with Merlin Power supply and RB300 arm plus Mayware cartridge. (At the same time Max produced the Glastonbury speakers –of which, more later.)

The Rock is now valued –and its later incarnations – by several Wammers as a true classic, and excellent musical deck. While others were tweaking suspensions and such, Max approached the varying problems in decks a bit more outlandishly. Wood? NO! Use a metal case filled with totally inert gypsum plaster. That’s the resonant box problem solved! Look at the arm dangling over the LP! Lets dampen the free end….with a Silicone filled dampening trough! Suddenly we have a fixed non resonant arm tube! And the musical result is (CD-like! It said at the time!!) excellent! It took a lot to shift the well established Linn fetishists, but let those who have ears to hear…….

I always was attracted to the folk who took an oblique angle on hi-fi. Pass, Walker, etc..

I still have my Rock, nicely amended with its Sparkle/black lacquer and ‘mural’ (which amused Max when he saw it circa 1989)

For years I ran full size Klipschorns, but moving to my current split level house found that those didn’t fit –a common cry, perhaps? I had to get something good that DID fit. This is where the Glastonburys entered my life.

Once again, Max avoided all the inherent resonance problems of wood cases, by using Gypsum plaster again, plus layers of carpet internally in his metal encased box. Add a Jordan-Watts (nearly) full range unit, carefully flare-ported to enhance the bass and a ‘Tickler’ –his term – ribbon tweeter and you get a great speaker that produces music effortlessly, clear, fast, no cabinet interference, great bass. A hidden classic. I guess the only problem is getting over the conservatism of folk who feel speakers should be wooden?

Well, some ARE….in sound! The Glastonburys are fantastic at letting you get lost in sound! Max still produces speakers made this way (how could you improve on them?) though they ARE rather pricy now! I did harbour an idea to run surround sound with multiple units, but the room won’t allow it.

OK

Last week, in the eBay section of Wigwam, OB1 posted a ‘Wot?’ post on ‘Tounsend’-sic - 2000 speakers. (My eBay ‘Watch list†would have course not picked up this mis-spelling, even though I added ‘Townsend’ too….), so I had a look.

Arggh! MORE temptation. Folk who know me know that I’m not short of speakers, having at least one set in each room except Bathroom –the peacefull, read-in-bath room!

But reading the post and recognising the 2000s from years ago I was tempted, despite having no need!

AND there was only ½ hour left on eBay! Rapid “should I? Shan’t I? WHY???? Self-debates went on. They were rare; classics; in great condition, nearly local…… I DO have a separate LP set-up….the Rock, remember?.....that they would fit nicely/aesthetically into, with Hafler amplification of same period. In the end, I shipped the Leak Sandwiches back upstairs, and lo! There was a space!

Made an offer.(After the auction…..)

Nice day out to Devon. Walk on Exmouth beach.

Set them up, running the Active cross-over into a Sonic Impact ‘Son of T’ amp for treble, Hafler for bass. Slight disparity, with one being 12 watts, the other 100!

They sound great. Fill the room with a lovely big sound, nicely detailed, clear, sending the music INTO the room, sounding 'life-size', just as the Klipschs did. Lovely non-aggressive but involving sound,

. Currently they’re a bit too close to the seat, but first impressions are that they’d stand up pretty well to current floorstanders. They would cost a fortune if made today – they did in 1980 when they were £4000! That must be £12K now easily!

Lovely veneered cabinets with matching veneer. Multiple Jordan-Watts units? 4 Bass units per side- with ported enclosure. Ribbon tweeter? Able to rock with the best or be detailed and clear.

I don’t even know if ‘2000s’ are what they were called originally. That’s what they were posted as. Will have to check with the MAKER! I recall visiting Max in Malta, where he’d moved in the 80s and it’s good to know he’s still around.

I’d certainly rate the 2000s as a great speaker if you like the warm, enveloping sound with all the music filling the room. Plays loud without seeming loud! (So I’m told by my long suffering partner!)

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I enjoyed that....have just put down the latest edition of HiFi world, where peeps are discussing the next revolution in loudspeaker design and implementation....It's about time! Talming of timing, that and dynamics were the MT strengths in speakers, but curiously they (like the rock) never really took off.

I guess it just proves that most buyers listen to reviewers rather than their ears. :)

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
Bristol is a bit too far for a visit otherwise I would ask you to put a kettle on! Holy moly giant of a speakers....well done mate

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Revolution? Lol! Hardly. They're still direct radiators, though the BMR is moderateley interesting.

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
ob1 wrote:

Bristol is a bit too far for a visit otherwise I would ask you to put a kettle on! Holy moly giant of a speakers....well done mate
Well it WAS all your fault (for posting the info on the wam,and alerting me!) as I told you! You're welcome if you ever DO get over this way. Great on piano I'm hearing as I type......

And they're not THAT big 104 cms high, which is lower than my Ocellias. Impressive weight of sound though!

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I visited Horny the other day.

I only heard the 2000 of the Townshend gear though. They really aren't that big - more of a'chunky' appearance. Good sound, as H says, on the slightly warm & inviting side. As I have said on another thread, the T 2000 andhis Ocellias provide excellent contrast in audio presentation, very very different. The Ocellias fast and furious, the Townshends more relaxed and warm (I'll take the Townshends!)

I didn't get to hear the Rock - but the finish on it is lovely indeed.

Faig

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
Mar 3, 2009
Barcelona, ,
AKA
Stephen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As mentioned in Chris's original post, here is the Townshend Elite range of amps dating from around 1981.

oskaboska

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2008
Cambs, UK
AKA
Adrian
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I saw those speakers on eBay Chris - I thought they looked like they were designed to sit in the corners of a room. Any thoughts on positioning?

However, I think John Bugge might have something to say about Max taking all the credit for his design!

beckypumps

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 4, 2007
oskaboska wrote:

I saw those speakers on eBay Chris - I thought they looked like they were designed to sit in the corners of a room. Any thoughts on positioning?However, I think John Bugge might have something to say about Max taking all the credit for his design!
Dont go there you might get modded:shock:

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
oskaboska wrote:

I saw those speakers on eBay Chris - I thought they looked like they were designed to sit in the corners of a room. Any thoughts on positioning?However, I think John Bugge might have something to say about Max taking all the credit for his design!
Yes, the 45 degree angle on the mid/top. I have them currently half way down a side wall, pointing at listening seat. Make a lovely sound, much better than I expected. But not sure how long I'll keep them. Having a downsize soon, as I currently have 6 sets of speakers!(And making another set!)

Glastonburys semi-spoken for already. The 2000s also have interest even!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online