Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2011
Mansfield-ish
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ian very kindly brought his Audion 300b amp to try in my system last week and I loved it. First time I'd heard one and it's certainly something I'll be investigating further.
What speakers are you using?

Reactions: Ian

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A Triode Corporation integrated 300b SE amp.
Never heard 300b's so should be interesting.
Problem is it weighs 34 kg so not sure I can lift into place.
34kg is enormous. I don't like anything much over 12kg.

But although spreading the weight between 2 chassis makes things a lot easier, if you use a separate PSU you lose the optimum short length between the rectification and the signal and you are at the mercy of the cable joining the 2 chassis.

Monobloks are a nice way to do it, but you duplicate the PSU and that then costs more. No free lunch, but I still think that 34kg is a lot. It does mean potentially good iron though.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lightweight :ROFLMAO:

My 845 is now about 45 kilos. Made the stairs at Scalford 'interesting' (as Rick will confirm).

Reactions: bigrod

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ian very kindly brought his Audion 300b amp to try in my system last week and I loved it. First time I'd heard one and it's certainly something I'll be investigating further.
What speakers are you using?
They started life as Impulse H6, but have been faffed with over 30 yrs.
They now have foo crossovers, Scan speak drivers, and AN Lexus internal wiring. Also re-veneered with Tamo Ash and leather.

They are about 89db/w so we'll soon see if 20 watts is enough. The room it is all in is not so big, should be OK.

Reactions: DomT and nak

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
34kg is enormous. I don't like anything much over 12kg.

But although spreading the weight between 2 chassis makes things a lot easier, if you use a separate PSU you lose the optimum short length between the rectification and the signal and you are at the mercy of the cable joining the 2 chassis.

Monobloks are a nice way to do it, but you duplicate the PSU and that then costs more. No free lunch, but I still think that 34kg is a lot. It does mean potentially good iron though.
This is one chassis

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All that iron colouring the sound and adding weight. OTL anyone 😉
I haven't heard an OTL amp but I can well imagine it sounds pretty nice. Quite a few filaments to heat up, but many good amps run hot. I was going to say "and many bad amps run cold" but who knows what advances might be made in future.

Reactions: Psilonaught

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What 300b are in there ? I bought some Genalex and am now poor 😊
Kevin says they are Triode Corp badged Electro Harmonic.
I'd only had it 30 mins and was speaking to Kevin and he was singing the praises of 300b rolling! :)

Reactions: Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles