mskaye

mskaye
Wammer
Jul 8, 2019
US
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I listen to primarily classical these days on LP, mostly chamber music, and I have to say that after a weekend where I played close to 20 LPs, I am so thankful for the reliability and quality of EMI UK, Philips and DG pressings from the 60s and 70s. While not nearly as dynamic as the hyper collectible RCA, Mercury, CBS and Blue Notes (among others) they are smooth as silk, all dead center pressings with nary (a shout out to UK forum readers) a pop, click or skip to be had (most of mine have been cleaned too.). Lots of LPS by Beaux Arts Trio, Clara Haskil, Quartetto Italiano, Tokyo String Quartet, Alfred Brendel, Amadeus Quartet - in other words - some of the greatest musicians ever - are out there for not too much money and will give you tons of musical pleasure. Everything I listened to blew away any CD versions I had of these performances. And I also continue to be very impressed by the improvements made by adding a Kore.

Last edited:

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I looked at my collection and as for LPs meeting your criteria, the collection is dominated by Alfred Brendel on the Phillips label, the majority being Beethoven sonatas. But that may be the majority of what he recorded. I did a google search and Alfred is still with us at age 92! :)

• Wow
Reactions: dikki

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to think DGG, Philips, EMI, etc, were the better quality but careful listening revealed they (at least mine) are just as bad as any. In fact, some of my 60's LPs are by far the worst!

dikki

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2019
Amsterdam
www.dikki.nl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I looked at my collection and as for LPs meeting your criteria, the collection is dominated by Alfred Brendel on the Phillips label, the majority being Beethoven sonatas. But that may be the majority of what he recorded. I did a google search and Alfred is still with us at age 92! :)
I think I have a giant incomplete box of Alfred Brendel and the Beethoven sonatas from that era. I have tried to listen to it multiple times, but it never really got to me. Might have to do with bad mastering, I don't know. They're just not that good.

Reactions: akamatsu

HBerg

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nobody mention Decca records so far. I have some classical Decca records with very good and dynamic sound + flat, centered and almost noise free pressings.

Reactions: Ben Webster

mskaye

mskaye
Wammer
Jul 8, 2019
US
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Nobody mention Decca records so far. I have some classical Decca records with very good and dynamic sound + flat, centered and almost noise free pressings.
100% and I could have mentioned but was really making a point about less collectible pressings that are still very smooth and musical that are not inherently $$$ collectible.

Reactions: HBerg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles