Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello all
It has been some time that I've been thinking about changing speakers. We moved house some years ago and my Focal 906's are no longer able to fill the larger room with sound. I like the sound they give, but the bottom end is almost absent.
I have young children, which meant priorities were elsewhere, but was able to do a speaker audition on Friday.
I listened to the JBL L100, Klipsch Forte 4, Tannoy Legacy Cheviot and the ATC SCM40 (passive).

I was dissapointed in the JBL (sonically and cosmetically), my Creek 100A struggled to really get them to sing.
The Klipsch was great fun, but I don't think I would be able to place them in my room.
The Cheviots were probably best of the three "high-efficiency" models, but I was a bit surprised about the price difference with the Klipsch. It is beyond what I am currently willing to pay for new speakers.
I really, really liked the ATC's as well. Their lower efficiency would mean that I need to crank up the amp, but the Creek seemed to control them fine at the dealers.

Since the new Cheviots are too expensive, I was thinking about investigating vintage Cheviots (or similar Tannoys).
What do I need to be careful for? What are the weaknesses and can they be resolved?
What is a good price for a pair of vintage Cheviots? I saw this ad today: https://www.2dehands.be/v/audio-tv-en-foto/luidsprekerboxen/m1873966511-tannoy-cheviot-12
Any opinions about this?

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
the larger box golds are pretty good if you like the 12”.

Make sure you check the driver doesn’t have a collapsed spider, you would notice that the cone is in a permanent negative position (pushed in)

Personally I like the 10” tannoy they have better speed, accuracy.

Stirling TW(good)
Stirling SE (great!)
Turnburry (slightly better)
Kensington (best of all these)

What’s your room and budget?

Last edited:

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I’ve got ATC 100, but I would have another pair of those on the list if I had the room for floorstanders in a second system

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not familiar with the speakers you list, but the best way to assess the value of used kit is by searching on HiFiShark. You can specify region (UK, Europe, etc) and get all prices converted to sterling. This is a meta site that simply gathers together just about every item advertised on just about every hi-fi sales platform (eBay, HiFiForSale, etc, etc) and gives you a direct link to those ads. They sell nothing and there are certainly some scam offers that get listed as well as the majority of genuine ones.

I'd probably agree with you and avoid the US-built speakers, if only because I don't think they offer the quality you may be looking for. Both are long-established and presumably successful companies, but they (it seems to me) now cater mainly for first-time buyers rather than those looking for genuinely excellent speakers. Others (particularly those who own these brands) will of course disagree!

Tannoy, and ATC are both well-established UK brands and the ATC40 is probably more aimed at the domestic market (good thing) as opposed to the ATC50 upwards models that are aimed primarily at the pro market where accuracy is more important than thrilling music. Again owners of these bigger ATCs will disagree, but there is undeniably a different set of parameters in designing speakers for these distinct markets - I used to own the ATC50 Actives for a while.

Did your dealer suggest any other speakers, or have you visited his competitors to see what they might recommend? Reading reviews from well-regarded sources (Stereophile and HFN are probably the best) can help you make a short list. Choosing speakers is the most important decision in hi-fi, so getting it right may take time and effort. And how it sounds in your particular room will be different from the showroom, so before you part with your cash, try to arrange home trials of 2 or 3 alternatives. Otherwise insist on a full-value return if not entirely happy. Even that is not ideal as you can easily think that new speakers that are a little disappointing will improve after a few months of use. Maybe they won’t and you’re stuck with them! Demo units should be well run in so a safer option. Peter

Reactions: Snoopdog

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
the larger box golds are pretty good if you like the 12”.

Make sure you check the driver doesn’t have a collapsed spider, you would notice that the cone is in a permanent negative position (pushed in)

Personally I like the 10” tannoy they have better speed, accuracy.

Stirling TW(good)
Stirling SE (great!)
Turnburry (slightly better)
Kensington (best of all these)

What’s your room and budget?
I have been reading about "reds" and "golds", assuming these are versions of the drive units, correct? I was not aware of the Tannoy brand until very recently, so not knowledgeable at all.

The room is very big: 11m x 4m x 5m. At the back of the speakers is an open kitchen which increases the 11m dimension even further. I guess that is why the little Focals are having a hard time.
I set out with a 5k€ budget (based in Belgium).
I'd like to audition Spendors D7.2 as well, maybe ProAc D20. But if I find a vintage pair of Tannoys or a secondhand ATC, I might take the leap now I've heard them.

Is there a large sonic difference between the newer Legacy and the vintage Cheviots?
I certainly would be able to hear a collapsed spider on pickup, wouldn't I?

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think that the ATC40s could need a better amp to get the best from them. I had some ATC11s and tried them with Quad Artera, Accuphase E380 (power amp section) and Audio Research D130. The Accuphase and ARC at a higher price point were better in all respects than the Quad. That’s not to say that the Quad (that I owned by the way) was bad but the comparison was helpful. On its own the Quad was enjoyable with the ATCs and I could have lived with it had I not done the comparisons.

@TheFlash might be able to give an opinion as he owns the active 40s and has heard the passives and has owned a class G Arcam amp if I am not mistaken.

I heard the Tannoy Legacy speakers and thought that they were fantastic. I spoke with the Portuguese distributor last week about them and Tannoy are not communicating anything about their products. Don’t know if it’s the same in the UK and if it is and you like the Legacy then maybe snap them up.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just seen that you are based in Belgium. I am not sure if @ChemMan is still visiting the site but I believe that he knows all of the dealers in Belgium and has heard all of their amps and speakers. He also has a class G Arcam amp and so he could also be a helpful voice.

Reactions: TheFlash

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I have been reading about "reds" and "golds", assuming these are versions of the drive units, correct? I was not aware of the Tannoy brand until very recently, so not knowledgeable at all.

The room is very big: 11m x 4m x 5m. At the back of the speakers is an open kitchen which increases the 11m dimension even further. I guess that is why the little Focals are having a hard time.
I set out with a 5k€ budget (based in Belgium).
I'd like to audition Spendors D7.2 as well, maybe ProAc D20. But if I find a vintage pair of Tannoys or a secondhand ATC, I might take the leap now I've heard them.

Is there a large sonic difference between the newer Legacy and the vintage Cheviots?
I certainly would be able to hear a collapsed spider on pickup, wouldn't I?
I’ve not heard any of the newer ones. I was gutted that they are no longer British made. Not that that bears any relevance in this case.

It wasn’t immediately apparent audibly, as they were side by side I was servicing/upgrading them for a wammer, I only noticed as I was stood above the cabs, and saw that the cone was sat back all the way into the magnet if you like.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having had martin logan summit X previously and many other speakers the tannoy eaton legacy that we have here have been absolutely delightful . tonally beautiful and natural, plenty of bass , so non fatigiung and highly recommended.

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
If you can stand the looks, DMT 12/System 12 an alternative Tannoy especially for modern-ish SS amp. I’ve got 12” golds and Sterling TW and I prefer them.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Broaden your horizons and go for something different .and readily available on the continent second hand
Cabasse Kara’s. ?

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Prefer the Stirling? What differences did you find?
System 12 Vs Stirlings, I prefer the bass from the 12”, seem to have better midrange clarity too. I think treble performance isn’t the best from Tannoy either, the super tweeters (st-200) make a measurable difference.

Currently running the Stirlings at GF’s off a Nait2, it’s pleasant enough and wins hands down on looks. Borrowed a Quad 303 as there’s supposed to be some synergy, but I felt it very rounded off and lacked dynamics.

Reactions: DomT

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think that the ATC40s could need a better amp to get the best from them. I had some ATC11s and tried them with Quad Artera, Accuphase E380 (power amp section) and Audio Research D130. The Accuphase and ARC at a higher price point were better in all respects than the Quad. That’s not to say that the Quad (that I owned by the way) was bad but the comparison was helpful. On its own the Quad was enjoyable with the ATCs and I could have lived with it had I not done the comparisons.

@TheFlash might be able to give an opinion as he owns the active 40s and has heard the passives and has owned a class G Arcam amp if I am not mistaken.

I heard the Tannoy Legacy speakers and thought that they were fantastic. I spoke with the Portuguese distributor last week about them and Tannoy are not communicating anything about their products. Don’t know if it’s the same in the UK and if it is and you like the Legacy then maybe snap them up.
Thanks Dom. Unfortunately I’m going to be predictable… whilst I will be sharing the love of my refoamed vintage Tannoy Devons at the Stoke show, if folk enjoy the SCM40 passives they’ll absolutely love the active SCM40A’s. Pick a pre to give them whatever flavour sauce you like but they’re exceptional.
I still have my Class G Arcam A49 which is wasted because I use it only as a pre into the actives; it’s streets ahead of the A39 which I owned briefly and moved on. It’s a great amp but the A49 is a really great amp, Arcam’s best ever IMO.

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I am not sure if @ChemMan is still visiting the site but I believe that he knows all of the dealers in Belgium and has heard all of their amps and speakers. He also has a class G Arcam amp and so he could also be a helpful voice.
I'm still here and I'm wondering if we've been down this road before with you? I thought last time it was an amp. IN any event, you are welcome to come listen to my Spendors in Brussels if you'd like and you can try out both my amps. I'm very tight with the owner of widescreen in Ghent and I have a good relationship with Sammy at Alpha in Antwerp. I'm done traveling for the summer, so if you'd like some help or another ear, nothing makes me happier than talking Hifi.

• Love
Reactions: DomT and TheFlash

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have some original Cheviots and they are HPD drivers, you need to check that the surrounds have not perished due to age. I replaced the cones in mine, which come with surrounds and voice coil. It is a shame you are so far away as you could listen to mine and if you liked them, purchase them, as they are surplus to my requirements, as I live in a small house now.

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I really, really liked the ATC's as well. Their lower efficiency would mean that I need to crank up the amp, but the Creek seemed to control them fine at the dealers.
If the ATC were "prettier," I'd have them myself. The only difference between them and my Spendor was a slightly crispier bass response from the D7. The ATC's tweeter is more to my liking than the Spendor. Both of my amps drive the ATC very well. The Arcam is 125 I think and the VTL a nice 60W of tubey goodness. I don't care for the Tannoys or the Klipsch in the looks department.

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If the ATC were "prettier," I'd have them myself. The only difference between them and my Spendor was a slightly crispier bass response from the D7. The ATC's tweeter is more to my liking than the Spendor. Both of my amps drive the ATC very well. The Arcam is 125 I think and the VTL a nice 60W of tubey goodness. I don't care for the Tannoys or the Klipsch in the looks department.
Which the actives offer in a way the passives don’t (I had them side by side).

Glad you are still here and alive, Steve!

Reactions: ChemMan and DomT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles