Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have also experienced my first “I cannot possibly improve that” moment.

Feast your eyes on this beautiful example of crossover perfection!!

IMG_5815.jpeg

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Two questions:

1. A family member had that last system shown, the one where you wave your hand in front of it to slide the glass doors open. It was a wonderful device. Do they hold up? Nothing does really does it?

2. All the refoaming. As a general rule, do refoamed speakers sound "correct" after? I almost fell into a pair of KEF 104.2's. They needed love, but I was intimidated, so I passed on them. I think there are kits for them.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Two questions:

1. A family member had that last system shown, the one where you wave your hand in front of it to slide the glass doors open. It was a wonderful device. Do they hold up? Nothing does really does it?

2. All the refoaming. As a general rule, do refoamed speakers sound "correct" after? I almost fell into a pair of KEF 104.2's. They needed love, but I was intimidated, so I passed on them. I think there are kits for them.
1. Yes, the B&O models that have the opening doors are fine - no major issues with them other than the usual CD transport issues that afflict many old CD players.

2. The issue of whether speakers sound 'correct' after re-foaming is an interesting one. Obviously unless you can guarantee that the surround is the exact same size, type, material and resonance of the original, then there will be a change, but this is likely to be very small. Obviously, this is providing you don't do something crazy like replacing foam surrounds with rubber ones, when you will change the driver performance quite notably, and thus they will sound different.
However, there's one important thing to remember. A speaker with knackered foam surrounds will sound terrible, so even a set of surrounds that aren't quite a 100% match for the originals will sound better than doing nothing!

Reactions: Gizza and bencat

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
1. Yes, the B&O models that have the opening doors are fine - no major issues with them other than the usual CD transport issues that afflict many old CD players.

2. The issue of whether speakers sound 'correct' after re-foaming is an interesting one. Obviously unless you can guarantee that the surround is the exact same size, type, material and resonance of the original, then there will be a change, but this is likely to be very small. Obviously, this is providing you don't do something crazy like replacing foam surrounds with rubber ones, when you will change the driver performance quite notably, and thus they will sound different.
However, there's one important thing to remember. A speaker with knackered foam surrounds will sound terrible, so even a set of surrounds that aren't quite a 100% match for the originals will sound better than doing nothing.
Thanks. That's great.
I think those 104.2's also had ferrofluid tweeters, which was yet another hurdle that dissuaded me.

What are the slidey glass door units selling for? Are they safe to ship across the planet? I think the speakers are aktiv?

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have done that crazy thing actually, on my long suffering Dovedale's. The rubber turns brittle with age, they sound ok but more like a guitar speaker. The bass driver is an odd size, about 12 3/4", so I managed to replace the disintegrating rubber with some old bicycle inner tube. The bass extension is much better and the free air resonance was pretty much back in spec, 20Hz, down from 60Hz with the stiff rubber. Still holding up 10 years on, just a little dab of glue here and there, the original coming unstuck from the old surround. Subsequently I have also resuscitated a pair (purchased from eBay with disintegrating rubber) using off the shelf foam surround, was a bit tricky and needed stretching and trimming for the odd size, but good result, and I think the foam actually sound better than the rubber. Better definition of timbre if that means anything, plucked instruments sound more like instruments, than just bass.

I figured I had nothing to lose.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks. That's great.
I think those 104.2's also had ferrofluid tweeters, which was yet another hurdle that dissuaded me.

What are the slidey glass door units selling for? Are they safe to ship across the planet? I think the speakers are aktiv?
The sliding door units in working order generally go for somewhere between £250 and £400 depending on model. Overviews here and, yes, all are designed to work with B&O active speakers:

https://beocentral.com/beocenter2300family

There's also the Beosound Century which loses one of the glass doors but gains built-in speakers:

https://beocentral.com/beosoundcentury

Shipping any of these across the planet is perfectly feasible - it just depends on how well they're packed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles