Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So a 75 Hz xover point currently seems optimal.  What you can do now is add in some eq at 85 or 90 Hz on the main speakers to try to address the dip.  Go for about +5db on a band pass filter and a high Q number to keep the eq across a narrow range of frequencies.

The important bit is though....what does it sound like with your favourite tracks etc 

Last edited by a moderator:

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ok i've just tried playing actual music and nothing is coming out of the mains - need to read the manual a bit more me thinks.

Keith can i drop you a line? Probably easier that using this method!

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
...it's always something very simple that causes the most disruption.

post up your latest curve when you've finished tweaking 

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
here is the sweep for what i think sounds best. X @ 45Hz. Setting the x over higher takes all the bass away and I find I need to turn up the subs and it all gets boomy.

I'm now going to attempt to load the target EQ filter settings from the EQ recommendation into the unit. Fingers crossed!

20220115_142713 (1).jpg

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
chaps i need some auto EQ help. I have x4 measurement, two for subs and two for the mains. I have looked at the Berhinger manual and i can see how to enter the filter settings so that is good.

Question- do I need to run target EQ across each of the x4 chanels/ measurements, and then enter the filter EQ settings for each channel separately into the unit???

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have not been following this thread but I use a Behringer DCX2496 with my 3 way actives and I would enter all 4 in your configuration, but maybe wait for Keith who I know has been advising from the start. What smoothing are you using for the EQ settings? I use pyscoacoustic.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With my complex 2 xover setup the REW analysis giving eq settings isn't practical....Colin (Greybeard) should be able to assist you on that on James. 

Looking at the curve id apply a BP filter of +5dB at 300 Hz with a Q of 5.0 or more on the main speakers.

I also use pyscoacoistic smoothing on curves.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
subs's gain should be around the 12 o'clock level not 8 o'clock?!
It will obviously vary with the sub and associated signal levels but for what it's worth I think where you have it now is probably closer to typical. 12 o'clock would seem unusually high to me.

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've started a separate thread re REW EQ, I could do with some help if possible :)

I know how to input the EQ filters into the Behringer, I'm struggling to actually generate the filters!!!

iann

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having just purchased a sub which I think is dialled in OK (not measured though), I was looking at threads like this and thinking about how useful a MiniDSP would be.

Is it right though that you need to use it as "preamp" to control volume? I need something that's between pre and power and let's me control volume from the preamp.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having just purchased a sub which I think is dialled in OK (not measured though), I was looking at threads like this and thinking about how useful a MiniDSP would be.

Is it right though that you need to use it as "preamp" to control volume? I need something that's between pre and power and let's me control volume from the preamp.
Sorry, just seen this... Your Wigwam Info. doesn't mention a preamp but presumably you have one?

You can connect the outputs of your pre-amp into the analogue inputs on a 2x4 HD. It will then convert the signal to digital for signal processing and then back to analogue for the three outputs you'd want: left and right main speakers plus sub. My own system is all digital for music so I no longer use an analogue pre-amp as there is no obvious upside but it doesn't have to be this way.

I've used the analogue inputs of my two miniDSPs for TV/movie use by I've never experimented with them after a hifi pre-amp to comment on how well this works though. Others here probably have and for info. there is a miniDSP owners thread here where you could ask:

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/138704-minidsp/?tab=comments#comment-2488434

iann

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Martin. Haven't updated the info yet but there's a preamp now.

I did wonder if the standard 2x4 would be enough to save money but it's not the same DSP processor I think so I presume the HD is better.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Martin. Haven't updated the info yet but there's a preamp now.

I did wonder if the standard 2x4 would be enough to save money but it's not the same DSP processor I think so I presume the HD is better.
Definitely. I wouldn't recommend the cheaper 2x4 at all based on user experiences I've seen.

iann

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers. Will seriously think about getting one.

Have changed loads of stuff lately and am also tempted by Node 2i power supply mods, so need to prioritize or even stop spending!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles