Streamer DAC box better than SBT and EE Minimax DAC?

malcesine

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2010
Central Scotland
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Love my Squeezebox Touch, upgraded EE Minimax DAC but the LMS server reliability is becoming increasing irritating. Especially on Qobuz hi-res audio.

Is there a significant upgrade out there for both sound quality and reliability?
Some of the one box streamer/DAC look pretty slick from NAD, Cambridge Audio etc but less sure about sound quality tbh.

Any suggestions/experience?
Budget is £1k (used) - never buy new, far too tight!

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Not a one box solution but I had the EEminimax DAC and changed to a Leema Elements DAC I owned both for around a month. The Leema can also be used as a preamp in my system I thought it a
decent move up in sonics from the EE.

New they are around £1500 but used I've seen them in go in £500-£600 range add a Wiim streamer and your still way under budget.

Edit had a moment of deja vu think we have had this conversation before 😁

Reactions: malcesine

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Slightly puzzled as to why you are having LMS issues as I use LMS and it is rock steady . Can I ask what version of LMS are you using , and what is it running on ? There has been a very distinct break and currently version 8.4 is the only stable version all previous ones are having issues . In truth to answer the OP I do not think you will get much better than your SBT used as a pure digital player . The main sound influence will be the DAC and that is just your own taste .

malcesine

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2010
Central Scotland
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Slightly puzzled as to why you are having LMS issues as I use LMS and it is rock steady . Can I ask what version of LMS are you using , and what is it running on ? There has been a very distinct break and currently version 8.4 is the only stable version all previous ones are having issues . In truth to answer the OP I do not think you will get much better than your SBT used as a pure digital player . The main sound influence will be the DAC and that is just your own taste .
It's latest 'officially stable' version of LMS 8.3.1
It's maybe more my network and app but bottom line, streaming via phone is flawless but via LMS is glitchy, occasionally
buffers and skips tracks - just don't have appetite to be continuing resolving issues. Tried ethernet, wireless, powerline - it's just not reliable.
Also only use SBT in pure digital mode.

Last edited:

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's latest version of LMS,
It's maybe more my network and app but bottom line, streaming via phone is flawless but via LMS is glitchy, occasionally
buffers and skips tracks - just don't have appetite to be continuing resolving issues. Tried ethernet, wireless, powerline - it's just not reliable.
Also only use SBT in pure digital mode.
Have you tried setting it to use proxy server for Qobuz, if it's not already doing so?

malcesine

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2010
Central Scotland
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all suggestions to resolve my LMS/SBT issues, but I am now ready for a change.

I've had 10 years or more happy musical service from LMS and the wonderful SBT specifically but along the journey there have also been far too many server/router/laptop/SBT resets, software updates/roll backs, troubleshooting with hours searching for and implementing solutions etc etc
I need something that just works!

on the rocks

Wammer
Dec 13, 2020
Sheffield
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m really enjoying my new to me Linn Akurate DS/0. There seem to be a number available at around £800 to £1k. Although around 15 years old Linn still support it with firmware updates etc. it needs a hard wired ethernet connection, but if you are using wifi that may contribute to your problems?

longplayer

Wammer
Sep 6, 2021
Bath
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@malcesine Not sure if this thread is dead (the post from @on the rocks pulled this into the latest posts, so I saw it), but like @bencat my experience for ages now with LMS has been rock solid. I do use wired in the main listening space (picoreplayer on rPi with Allo DigiOne) but a wireless SBT still serves in the kitchen/dining room space. I did have problems streaming Qobuz, but a thread on PFM fixed that (https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/long-tracks-jumping-on-qobuz-with-lms.270754/) by changing the streaming mode to "persistent".

Ray Vardy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2018
Planet Earth
raysplace.com
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m really enjoying my new to me Linn Akurate DS/0. There seem to be a number available at around £800 to £1k. Although around 15 years old Linn still support it with firmware updates etc. it needs a hard wired ethernet connection, but if you are using wifi that may contribute to your problems?
Don't know if the op needs it but thrown in with the deal is Space Optimization, Custom Filters and a Control App. Bloody bargain TBH.

aardvarkaudio

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 23, 2014
I've tried a few player apps over the last 6 months and reliability has varied. Too many hifi firms either have a go at the software or probably outsource it to the lowest bidder.

The linn app on Android was appalling for crashes and losing connection between DSM and phone, until maybe September, then it got an update and stabilised. When it worked it was good and miles better than the old Kazoo.

Rose OS was ok not great, in terms of snappiness more than connectivity, but sometimes you would need a second or third tap to do the task.

Bel Canto Seek was solid and quick, but a bit basic and not gapless. Looked a lot like mconnect so maybe there's a share.

Volumio is excellent, great support community and everything you expect just as you expect it.

Lumin app is my favourite app yet. I've yet to have an issue with it even when trying to break it, and it feels really well done.

Ray Vardy

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2018
Planet Earth
raysplace.com
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've tried a few player apps over the last 6 months and reliability has varied. Too many hifi firms either have a go at the software or probably outsource it to the lowest bidder.

The linn app on Android was appalling for crashes and losing connection between DSM and phone, until maybe September, then it got an update and stabilised. When it worked it was good and miles better than the old Kazoo.
I've followed the Linn App since day one, it has had many updates

https://linn-ui-buildartifacts-prod.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/applications/linn/history.html#/

And it is I feel fair to say Linn continues to invest in its development and has done a really good job here, irrespective of it being a free control point.

on the rocks

Wammer
Dec 13, 2020
Sheffield
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: Ray Vardy

AndyCC72

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 4, 2021
Bexley, Kent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought a Lumin D2 with SBooster PSU for under £1k and I’ve seen sell a few for that price recently (without the PSU).

Cracking sounding streamer/DAC. Nice mid range and has a nice smooth sound without being warm. The App is ok but not as good as the one in the Bluesound Node

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You could pick up an early Linn Majik DSM for around that. DS's have no inputs, and the akurate has no built in amp.
Depends what you mean by one box!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles