Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve been looking at a bit more upmarket DACs for a bit. After really getting in to the Mojo I seriously thought about the Qutest but really didn’t want to go north of £1k, so the RME and Denefrips Ares II were the ones I had been looking at the longest but something about the Ares was putting me off so I went back to the one I was looking at first and with Lake People amp and DT1990 Pro phones I seem to have gone all very German pro audio.

I have been on the fence for this for ages now and keep trying to save, however over Xmas a few things happened, as they do in my job. Over Xmas I saw one of my regulars who had spent a couple of days with his family. We had a lovely chat and we planned our next call and what we would we do in it, he’s very fussy and will only do certain things with me so he always wanted to know if I was in the next day. The following morning half an hour before I was due to go in to him I had a phone call from the office saying he had passed during the night.

The moral of the tale, don’t worry about today because tomorrow may never come. So sod it I bought it.

IMG20220105110154~2.jpg

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wasn't what I expected to read but you're quite right, recent illness of several family members has made me more aware of our own mortality. What's that saying about a thin veil or a thread or something between this life and the next?

• Thanks
Reactions: hiesteem

Adam D

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2011
West Lothian
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am sorry to hear of the passing of your client/friend.

What does the RME sound like?  It gets some rave reviews on various headphone forums.

I recently changed the DAC in my headphone setup on Christmas Eve.

I had been using a Topping DAC30 and NJC Monitor II headphone amp.  I have been enjoying listening to it, but I fancied a change.

About 15 years ago I had a Micromega Stage 6 and I really liked the sound that it produced.

This made me start looking at Micromega DACs and I ended up buying a Micromega MyDAC off eBay.  The design of this DAC maybe from 2012, but to my ears it sounds better than the Topping and so it will stay in my system (for the time being).

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a bit hard to say how it sounds at the moment, it's quite a step up from what I was using (A Topping D50S and a Chord Mojo), it's very detailed but relaxed. Be more interesting to find out what it can really do when I have a proper understanding of all those options,  bit heavy going to find a 70 page manual, I've just plugged to let it play today.

I really liked the Micromega players and nearly bought a Stage 1 back in the day. Ironically I held back as the stage 4,5 & 6 were due to be released but delayed launches and then transport problems with the early releases made them hard to get hold of at the time, and I went down another path instead but I've always liked the sound of Micromega players.

I.D.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 14, 2021
It's a bit hard to say how it sounds at the moment, it's quite a step up from what I was using (A Topping D50S and a Chord Mojo), it's very detailed but relaxed. Be more interesting to find out what it can really do when I have a proper understanding of all those options, bit heavy going to find a 70 page manual, I've just plugged to let it play today.

I really liked the Micromega players and nearly bought a Stage 1 back in the day. Ironically I held back as the stage 4,5 & 6 were due to be released but delayed launches and then transport problems with the early releases made them hard to get hold of at the time, and I went down another path instead but I've always liked the sound of Micromega players.
After a brief flertation with a Micromega stage 1 & 2 i told the dealer to take them away. A few nights later he turned up with a F1 Classic,all wooden cheeked,gold facia and top loading. Sounded very smooth knocked spots off a Naim cd player. Regretted selling:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles