Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2011
Halifax
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just started a free trial of Premium (after months of cursing adverts) but as my Gato DIA-250S doesn't support Spotify Connect it's playing over Bluetooth.

Not that I can do anything about it, but it did get me wondering if there's any sound quality disadvantage using BT over wireless? A quick Google has some people suggesting there will be, but that seemed like more of a theory rather than actual evidence. Bandwidth certainly isn't an issue - anybody ever tried?

The Gato does support Qobuz & Tidal though - I've signed up for Qobuz but holding off on the free trial until I know I can get some decent listening time in. Work / DIY / family commitments get in the way quite regularly!

2010*zuma

Super Wammer
Wammer
Nov 12, 2011
Caerphilly castle
AKA
Young Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve found the top tier tidal is better than other streaming platforms, in fact very good.
Bluetooth is not as good as using the lan cable into the streamer by a long shot.

Reactions: LEET2010

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm guessing your amp has the optional NPM upgrade @paulbfd ?

Bluetooth aside, both Qobuz and Deezer appear to be supported and offer lossless streaming at CD quality and is where I'd be focusing in your position. Qobuz also offers higher resolution content if this appeals at all.

I've never tried steaming with the type of higher bitrate Bluetooth that you have to comment from experience. As you say from a bit-rate perspective there shouldn't be an issue. Be aware that a general Google may find results of people using older, lower bandwidth versions of Bluetooth which weren't capable of streaming CD quality. Ultimately it's moot for you with your current hardware as you say though.

paulbfd

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2011
Halifax
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks both :)

It is the NPM version so when I finally get round to trialling Qobuz it'll be via network but using WiFi for now. The amp is about 7 or 8 metres from the router but in direct line so gets a perfect signal. As I venture deeper into streaming I'll blag a cable and try it over a wired connection.

@2010*zuma I best get signed up Tidal too so I can compare!

Connect vs BT was probably driven by fear of missing out rather than a real sound quality concern. The Gato still delivers the goods as it is so I'm really looking forward to hearing what it can do with some higher quality material.

2010*zuma

Super Wammer
Wammer
Nov 12, 2011
Caerphilly castle
AKA
Young Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was using qoboz two months back, I thought it was good sound quality. I was using m connect to run into my streamer. It was suffering some dropping out issues so I thought to go back to tidal and see if those same issues occur and they have not. Some of the higher bit rate remasters are very good on tidal. The truth of the matter with you is if you are happy with what you are hearing then that is good enough for you, not really any need to seek out 'better'.

Last edited:

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The streaming services sound different to each other.
Some folks prefer Tidal, others prefer Qobuz. It is a noticeably different presentation, imo.
Well worth trying with the free trial periods - once you can make the time for it!

For me, music catalogue is the final arbiter of streaming service provider, and that preference will be down to your own music preferences. All the streaming services differ on the music that they offer.

For me, on balance, Spotify is the clear winner - and I use Bluetooth to listen to it.
As @MartinC says, you need to be listening to the more recent Bluetooth codecs to get as near as damn it CD quality. And a good Bluetooth receiver such as AudioEngine B1 or iFi Zen Blue is also critical in maximising sound quality imo. I feed their digital output into my DAC of choice.
Thoroughly enjoyable!

Last edited:
  • Upvote
Reactions: newlash09 and Ceko

paulbfd

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2011
Halifax
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I'll definitely give Tidal a whirl as well as Qobuz. The free trial period for Spotify expires mid April so plenty of time left for comparisons. I do find the catalogue and app experience with Spotify superb - its suggestions of artists I may like is pretty much spot on.

There'd be no harm keeping the subscription on as I registered using the wife's credit card :D

Reactions: JANDL100

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was using qoboz two months back, I thought it was good sound quality. I was using m connect to run into my streamer. It was suffering some dropping out issues so I thought to go back to tidal and see if those same issues occur and they have not. Some of the higher bit rate remasters are very good on tidal. The truth of the matter with you is if you are happy with what you are hearing then that is good enough for you, not really any need to seek out 'better'.
Qobuz dropout issues could be to do with your router. Do you have BT or Virgin ISP?

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@paulbfd the issue to be aware of with Tidal is it's increasing use of MQA, as well as it's higher price. MQA is a lossy format even well fully decoded using an MQA capable DAC (do you have one?) and worse if not. It may be that you don't hear any negative impact or even prefer it but this is something you should be aware of and is a reason I would avoid Tidal myself.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@paulbfd the issue to be aware of with Tidal is it's increasing use of MQA, as well as it's higher price. MQA is a lossy format even well fully decoded using an MQA capable DAC (do you have one?) and worse if not. It may be that you don't hear any negative impact or even prefer it but this is something you should be aware of and is a reason I would avoid Tidal myself.
Higher price? It was £9.99 pm, has it gone up?

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And with Tidal I've found quite a few albums with the track order scrambled.
That's with classical music, I've no idea if it's the same with other genres.
That ruled Tidal out for me.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use Deezer, I got a special deal, only £5.99 pm, for 1 year. Similar to Spotify but cd quality.

I would Qobuz soundwise is the best but it is more expensive.

could not get with Spotify.

2010*zuma

Super Wammer
Wammer
Nov 12, 2011
Caerphilly castle
AKA
Young Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Qobuz dropout issues could be to do with your router. Do you have BT or Virgin ISP?
I have the fibre BT connection.. Using same streaming app and streamer and don't suffer these issues on tidal... Is a strange one I may have signed up for 12 months with qoboz otherwise

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The streaming services sound different to each other.
Some folks prefer Tidal, others prefer Qobuz. It is a noticeably different presentation, imo.
IME, they don't. If you're listening to the same master, at the same bitrate, there is absolutely no reason why they should sound any different.

• Upvote
Reactions: newlash09

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online