Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The spirit of the wam thread was set up in order for members to pass on their unwanted items, mostly for free, or in exchange for a donation to a charity of the vendors choice. It's a great way to recycle bits and bobs and is also very generous.

Over the years the system has been abused by members only joining for the free stuff, waving a duster at it, and sticking it on auction sites etc.

This is NOT the spirit of the wam.

To maintain the true spirit, we decided that only fully paid up members would be able to take advantage of the generosity within the spirit thread.

Anyone can give, but only subscribed members can take. The general rule of thumb is that if you take from the spirit, you should try and give something back.

Initial claims for goods in the spirit thread should be made openly in the public thread and not by PM. Once a claim is successful, then and only then should it be taken to PM to complete.

This is purely to protect the generosity of members, so they don't give their stuff away for free, with the best intentions, only to see it advertised on e**y or the like a few days later. That's insulting.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

la toilette

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 7, 2010
Par la rivière Yeo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmmm, not sure I agree fully with this. While I completely understand why you want to reduce the risk of people abusing the sotw I think it's fundamentally unfair to allow non paid up members to give things away but not allow them to receive. 

It would have been better to maintain and enforce the previous rules which were allowing paid up member and those with >50 posts to contribute both ways, and insist that all responses to an offer be made on the thread, and not by pm.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I kind of agree with that and understand what you're saying. Problem is that it's almost impossible to enforce unless the mods read through this thread at least once a day.

The best way for this to work is if the members contributing to or receiving from the spirit thread enforce the guidelines themselves. This is not new btw and was always the case. Its a new post but only repeating an old message. 

la toilette

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 7, 2010
Par la rivière Yeo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I kind of agree with that and understand what you're saying. Problem is that it's almost impossible to enforce unless the mods read through this thread at least once a day.

The best way for this to work is if the members contributing to or receiving from the spirit thread enforce the guidelines themselves. This is not new btw and was always the case. Its a new post but only repeating an old message. 
Yeah I understand the problem and I agree it should be down to the members to enforce the guidelines, that's the best way I reckon. What is new is limiting it to paid up members being able to receive, as this wasn't always the case as far as I remember. And just because you limit it to paid up wammers is still no guarantee that someone won't abuse it. 

I like the sotw and I like giving a few small bits and bobs away here, but it's gotta be fair to all or it makes the whole  'spirit' a bit questionable, imho. 

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually, the bit about only paid up wammers being able to receive was the case. There used to be a sticky saying as much but it didn't migrate over with the platform change.

The idea behind all of it is that the spirit thread is here for contributors to the forum as a whole. Not just for casual browsers to pop in and milk the freebies before vanishing into the forever.

I'd have no issues with someone claiming in the thread if they'd been around for a while or offered something up in the spirit before. That's how it's supposed to work. 

la toilette

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 7, 2010
Par la rivière Yeo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fair enough, I guess I remembered the old rules incorrectly, my bad.

"I'd have no issues with someone claiming in the thread if they'd been around for a while or offered something up in the spirit before. That's how it's supposed to work

In which case it's all good Rick  :^

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the spirit of the Wam, I have some 5M lengths of Ixos cable to give away but require some help in exchange if allowed?

I need someone with good ears to appraise my system in Dover, Kent and tell me honestly what they think. Good, Bad, Meh, I need to know whether it works. My ears are a tad iffy, but to me it sounds good. Are there improvements to be had etc. Advice is what's required and I sort of don't have massive space to hold a proper bake off...

Interested? Thanks, Ade

mattykyuss

mattykyuss
Wammer
Sep 12, 2016
plymouth
AKA
mat
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the spirit of the Wam, I have some 5M lengths of Ixos cable to give away but require some help in exchange if allowed?

I need someone with good ears to appraise my system in Dover, Kent and tell me honestly what they think. Good, Bad, Meh, I need to know whether it works. My ears are a tad iffy, but to me it sounds good. Are there improvements to be had etc. Advice is what's required and I sort of don't have massive space to hold a proper bake off...

Interested? Thanks, Ade
Thing is ,if you think it sounds good ,thats all that matters,.Just say two people heard your system ,one said the best they have ever heard ,one said the worst they have ever heard ? what do you go with ,now if you said your not sure if your system is working right for what ever reason ,can somebody have a listen,sorted . Had the same before with my set up ,one though amazing,one thought crap .mat

mattykyuss

mattykyuss
Wammer
Sep 12, 2016
plymouth
AKA
mat
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thing is ,if you think it sounds good ,thats all that matters,.Just say two people heard your system ,one said the best they have ever heard ,one said the worst they have ever heard ? what do you go with ,now if you said your not sure if your system is working right for what ever reason ,can somebody have a listen,sorted . Had the same before with my set up ,one though amazing,one thought crap .mat
Wanted to add ,that even a mind blowing system can some days not sound quite right to the owner,hifi likes to play mind games :)

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok agreed, let's go with that suggestion. I'm not sure if it's Bass heavy and lacking in Mids or too much of both. A second opinion sort of quantifies my feelings. Anyway, I could always ask for a third opinion, I'm sure I have some more speaker cable lying around... :D

Reactions: mattykyuss

mattykyuss

mattykyuss
Wammer
Sep 12, 2016
plymouth
AKA
mat
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok agreed, let's go with that suggestion. I'm not sure if it's Bass heavy and lacking in Mids or too much of both. A second opinion sort of quantifies my feelings. Anyway, I could always ask for a third opinion, I'm sure I have some more speaker cable lying around... :D
Makes sense ,but i have speaker cable ha ha ,i know what you mean ,its good and sometimes bad to have someone tell you how your own system sounds.My brother thinks my set up sounds stunning,my mate said where is the bass,i use harbeth p3esr ,plenty of bass for me,but he is used to large floor standers and mono blocks in his own set up,.But i love my set up sound ,so all good .What speaker cable are you using ? and make it a short and quick ,dont want to be caught  talikng about useless cables ,wires etc :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles