Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the latest SJS Instagram post he says he been developing new designs. Anyone know anything about what's in development?
Simon will be at the HiFi Deluxe show next weekend, Definitive are using his amps in their set up - model 3 phono, model 7 pre and model 5 power, so nothing obviously new being launched there.

I’ll ask him at the show or he might chip in and give us an update on this thread.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good to catch up with Simon on Sunday at the Show. Sounds like an interesting development on the Series 5 power amp is in the works to drive the new LV speakers at Munich it seems…

Not sure if others have seen this already, the build dates back to last year, but I only spotted it recently. Special order and copper chassis again, drool worthy!

Last edited:

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With apologies to Simon, I’ve never been a massive fan of the silver knobs on the original Arcadia pre.

It’s a bit of a minefield though, as I have just ordered and fitted these and I’m far from convinced it’s an improvement. Maybe I’ll live with them for a bit, what do you think….?
BE8E33BE-CED2-431F-80DE-ABA5A1884632.jpeg

D623E9C5-0CB7-474D-B896-0A84EBCBAF70.jpeg

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I too prefer originals but everyone has there own tastes or otherwise it would be boring

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd have gone with plain or gloss black as a more contemporary looking alternative, but that's just my own taste. I'm not a fan of gold bling on audio :)

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How much would it cost to have the originals gold plated? If that's your thing.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How much would it cost to have the originals gold plated? If that's your thing.
That’s an interesting idea. At first I thought it was the size and shape as much as the shiny silver that I didn’t like, I’m less sure now having made the change.

The originals I think are solid brass - they certainly have that sort of weight. I wonder if I could have the plating stripped on these in order to have a raw brass finish? I like gold / yellow metal, but ideally a little tarnished or dulled.

sjs

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2011
Manchester
sjselectroacoustics.blogspot.com
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
That’s an interesting idea. At first I thought it was the size and shape as much as the shiny silver that I didn’t like, I’m less sure now having made the change.

The originals I think are solid brass - they certainly have that sort of weight. I wonder if I could have the plating stripped on these in order to have a raw brass finish? I like gold / yellow metal, but ideally a little tarnished or dulled.
The knobs are chrome plated solid brass.

Possibly black chrome would suit the look of the amplifier.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can treat the metal with a solution that makes the plating look worn and antique . It is used in stained glass work when using copper tape to make the copper look like lead . But you can control the effect by wiping it off quickly and it leaves a very effective tarnished look . If the knobs were stripped back to plain brass then this applied I think it would give the look you are looking for once you were happy an application of clear laquer would seal the look .

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you don't want patinated brass (it's a preamp, not a bloody Georgian washstand), Audio Note do a rather natty selection of colours and sizes, including gloss and matt black.

Reactions: sjs

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly* those guitar amp knobs won't work for you. They only fit splined shafts, and Simon's pots aren't splined. And they can't readily be modified; I know because I have tried.
* Or luckily.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly* those guitar amp knobs won't work for you. They only fit splined shafts, and Simon's pots aren't splined. And they can't readily be modified; I know because I have tried.
* Or luckily.
Damn it! Back to the drawing board then. The AN versions are nice but look to be at least £30 each , so quite spendy for 4. Hifi Collective had a nice one but that is discontinued and the ones on eBay I have trawled through already.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think what I will try next is to tone down the gold finish on the ones I have fitted. I assume these are an anodised finish on the aluminium. Any tips as to a good chemical to use? I’m thinking that household limescale remover would be reasonably acidic.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To answer my own question, you use oven cleaner.

Top right had 10 mins, bottom right 5. Left side are not treated. A bit patchy but polish might help. I’m warming to the look of these. I’m also going to spray black the spring mounts used as feet as these obviously clash.

4CBF3E92-0760-421C-A0A3-0DFA50E2ED39.jpeg

Reactions: antonio66

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To my eyes..... nope :ROFLMAO:

Gold and black, yes. Gold black and white, too much IMHO. We all have different tastes though, thankfully.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles