SJS Electroacoustics

HugoZ

Wammer
Mar 2, 2020
Simons amps are quite exclusive imho at the ‘Kondo’ level of amps and within reason and Simons guidance can be further ‘tweaked’ to suit both your pocket and desires etc.  When you are considering buying what as akin to a Rolls Royce yes there is an element of ‘if you need to ask’ but those of us who have asked etc have never been treated with distain by Simon and he is nowhere close to being labelled as ‘pretentious’.
Thanks for the feedback.

I still think it would be more welcoming and helpful to potential customers to at least state that "prices start at..." (we're not talking Kondo price levels, are we?).

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Simon doesnt need a marketing strategy ....

every amp, preamp, phono stage he makes is quite quickly sold afaik....and if you pay attention to the second hand market they retain their value extremely well and sell within a day or so of being available .....with an underlying demand like that a ‘marketing strategy’ is quite frankly both irrelevant and a waste of time/money.

Depending on spec of components/valves used etc you would expect to start paying from maybe £4 k upwards for one of Simons preamps I’d say......BUT.....you are buying into a slice of hand built audio nirvana.

HugoZ

Wammer
Mar 2, 2020
Simon doesnt need a marketing strategy ....
Well, if he's at all interested in attracting new customers (and as a one-man operation, perhaps he isn't) I beg to differ, but thanks anyway for giving me an idea of the preamp prices.

Glissando

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2020
North mids
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the feedback.

I still think it would be more welcoming and helpful to potential customers to at least state that "prices start at..." (we're not talking Kondo price levels, are we?).
Well Audio Note have done this for years. Try and find a recent retail price list for them? Nearest guide prices for some AN products are on Deco Audio web site if you ever need them.

As others have explained Simon SJS does not build completely off the shelf designs, they are/can be highly tailored bespoke to what you want including the internal circuitry.

He is one of the least pretentious manufacturers I have come across, very approachable, hepful and willing to offer his time and advice freely. Think of him as a consultant you can discuss your requirements and expectations with and he will lay out the various options and costs. You may not like the final cost but at least you will know what you can aim for.

He has even advised diyers on various forums on problems and approaches to building some of their projects no charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s not ‘rocket science’ to take a guess at the potential cost when you look at the component lists ....hashimoto chokes, duelund cast capacitors Hovlands caps, tantalum resistors should to anyone with knowledge of high end equipment suggest that you need a fair depth of pocket to consider a purchase etc 

HugoZ

Wammer
Mar 2, 2020
It’s not ‘rocket science’ to take a guess at the potential cost when you look at the component lists ....hashimoto chokes, duelund cast capacitors Hovlands caps, tantalum resistors should to anyone with knowledge of high end equipment suggest that you need a fair depth of pocket to consider a purchase etc 
Yes, but as there's a dealer (Definitive Audio) involved, who knows what their markup might be?

For some of us £5000 for a high quality preamp is justifiable, whereas £10000 would be absolutely out of the question!

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, but as there's a dealer (Definitive Audio) involved, who knows what their markup might be?

For some of us £5000 for a high quality preamp is justifiable, whereas £10000 would be absolutely out of the question!
So basically, you're a cheapskate and trying to push two companies out of business. 

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He has even advised diyers on various forums on problems and approaches to building some of their projects no charge.
Without his guidance I wouldn't even have attempted to build my type 26 pre.  I heard Keith's (which Simon had simplified and improved), and Simon gave me all the info needed to build basically a copy.  At no cost whatsoever.  Apart from the considerable cost of components!

If you want something "off the shelf" at a fixed price, you are looking in the wrong place.

• Upvote
Reactions: MF 1000 and Lee M

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Without his guidance I wouldn't even have attempted to build my type 26 pre.  I heard Keith's (which Simon had simplified and improved), and Simon gave me all the info needed to build basically a copy.  At no cost whatsoever.  Apart from the considerable cost of components!

If you want something "off the shelf" at a fixed price, you are looking in the wrong place.
Simon gave me advise too when i bought my second-hand Arcadia. I'd love to hear the new versions just for curiosity sake. I doubt my system would benefit in the current room. 

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My 'daily driver' 5687 preamp was inspired by the Arcadia circuit and Simon's advice to self and to other DIYers has always been given freely. He's also among a handful of builders who is quite happy to share schematics of some of his designs. When I owned an Arcadia, whereas some companies and builders would scream at you if you spoke to them about modifying anything, Simon was an absolute star, freely suggesting mods he'd done to later versions that I might have found worthwhile.

Anything but pretentious or 'precious' and definitely one of the audio world's good guys.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Simon gave me advise too when i bought my second-hand Arcadia. I'd love to hear the new versions just for curiosity sake. I doubt my system would benefit in the current room. 
Once we are able to travel & meet up Lee I’ll definitely come over with the type 26 and we can compare it with your ‘pure’ SJS preamp.

Reactions: Lee M

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Once we are able to travel & meet up Lee I’ll definitely come over with the type 26 and we can compare it with your ‘pure’ SJS preamp.
Hopefully my SJS wont get a good beating

HugoZ

Wammer
Mar 2, 2020
So basically, you're a cheapskate and trying to push two companies out of business. 
Arghh, I've been rumbled! (Although as a recent customer of DA I think I'm going to fail in my endeavour.)

According to Simon's website, he offers Standard and Enhanced versions of his Model 7 preamp and he lists the parts used in each. That sounds like an "off the shelf" product to me (and nothing wrong with that).

Enjoy your amplifiers, gentlemen!

robin

Good bye
Wammer Plus
Dec 6, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i have got round to adding a couple off pics of my phono stage, mm, used with a sut, to best of my knowledge its one of only two simon built, bobc sold his on the wam a few years ago, anyone know where it is now ? sjs 1.jpg sjs 2.jpg

corgi 1

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2014
Hazlemere
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
evening all havent been on here for months, i sold my 1,5 to simon in part exchange for an enhanced model 7, the 1,5 is great but the model 7 - just wow !

Reactions: sjs

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
evening all havent been on here for months, i sold my 1,5 to simon in part exchange for an enhanced model 7, the 1,5 is great but the model 7 - just wow !
If Simon still has it, there's someone looking for one in the classifieds.

Reactions: robin

nak

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2011
Mansfield-ish
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the latest SJS Instagram post he says he been developing new designs. Anyone know anything about what's in development?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles