HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
My set up is a dedicated (hex core) server running Roon and HQ Player, Sonore MicroRendu, RME DAC. Upsampling to DSD256 using one of the 'new 'EC' modulators in HQP. Pretty demanding on the server, but great SQ.

You can run Qobuz in HQP, but the interface is much nicer / easier through Roon, ime.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So this is an 'it works or it doesn't' situation rather than something that affects sound quality if it does work?
For the larger part yes. But the logic is no Sound Quality is the worst sort of sound quality! And a networked endpoint might fix that.

chris

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
leics, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My set up is a dedicated (hex core) server running Roon and HQ Player, Sonore MicroRendu, RME DAC. Upsampling to DSD256 using one of the 'new 'EC' modulators in HQP. Pretty demanding on the server, but great SQ.

You can run Qobuz in HQP, but the interface is much nicer / easier through Roon, ime.

Did you get the server from Audiostore? I think this might be an ideal setup for @ChemMan as they install all of the necessary software for you. If he wants to upsample to DSD256 then the MacBook won’t cut it. Would you mind giving us an idea of price for the server plus Roon an HQ player software so he knows roughly what it is likely to cost?

Reactions: newlash09

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Did you get the server from Audiostore? I think this might be an ideal setup for @ChemMan as they install all of the necessary software for you. If he wants to upsample to DSD256 then the MacBook won’t cut it. Would you mind giving us an idea of price for the server plus Roon an HQ player software so he knows roughly what it is likely to cost?
Yes, I did get my server from Martin at Audiostore - though I had an existing server that Martin upgraded, which saved me a fair bit. It's about as close to plug & play as I think you would get with HQP and it's a doddle to use because Roon acts as the transport. I think the brand new version of my server comes in at around £1800 in the spec that you would need to upsample to DSD256. You also need a DSD ready DAC, of course.

I'm sure Martin would be happy to go through all the options...

Reactions: newlash09 and chris

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m actually about to do this DIY. I haven‘t decided to put Roon and HQPlayer on the same 7th gen i7 NUC or leave Roon on its existing old 5th gen i3 and put HQPlayer on the i7. NUCs are generally underpowered for crunching the big numbers with DSD but more than adequate for PCM. As is the OP’s Mac.

Reactions: greybeard

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
visually here is what I've discovered:

iIMLKKM.png

Reactions: Leeken

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In reference to some of the above, if one has close at hand access to their router theis changes a bit and I don't really need much storage.

Here's where I'm at and I don't know how accurate it is.

If my lap will upsample the PCM, all the better. Though it's going to need a bit of work as it was retired for a reason.

So:

1. Mac Mini M1 used: circa €600
2. Network bridge from sotm or sonore: circa €1k. Ifi Zen stream €350
3. HQ player: €250
4. USB cable: €100
5. Unknown computer/network accessories: €100-200

Basically the same price as a slightly discounted innuos Zen Mini, that can upsample.

Last edited:

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In reference to some of the above, if one has close at hand access to their router theis changes a bit and I don't really need much storage.

Here's where I'm at and I don't know how accurate it is.

If my lap will upsample the PCM, all the better. Though it's going to need a bit of work as it was retired for a reason.

So:

1. Mac Mini M1 used: circa €600
2. Network bridge from sotm or sonore: circa €1k. Ifi Zen stream €350
3. HQ player: €250
4. USB cable: €100
5. Unknown computer/network accessories: €100-200

Basically the same price as a slightly discounted innuos Zen Mini, that can upsample.
I personally would buy a ready made streamer and call it a day.

I had a roon chain 5 years ago, that looked exactly like your list above. I had an additional NAS and a few lpsu's as well. In the end it became a "all you can eat spaghetti buffet".

I also had the M2techevo or something usb purifier and their matching clock, which I never bothered to even connect as the chain already started at the door and ended behind the rack.

• Upvote
Reactions: DomT

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I had a roon chain 5 years ago, that looked exactly like your list above. I had an additional NAS and a few lpsu's as well. In the end it became a "all you can eat spaghetti buffet".

I also had the M2techevo or something usb purifier and their matching clock, which I never bothered to even connect as the chain already started at the door and ended behind the rack.
I'm with you on this. Yet, if the way to "optimization" leads through these wires and boxes, it it might be a shame to not get them. After hearing DSD on the Spec through the Aurender, it was clearly nicer sounding than FLAC.

And I've yet to read anyone mentioning DSD or Upsampled PCM does not sound better than FLAC. I have, however, read some people prefer upsample PCM over DSD and vice versa.

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm with you on this. Yet, if the way to "optimization" leads through these wires and boxes, it it might be a shame to not get them. After hearing DSD on the Spec through the Aurender, it was clearly nicer sounding than FLAC.

And I've yet to read anyone mentioning DSD or Upsampled PCM does not sound better than FLAC. I have, however, read some people prefer upsample PCM over DSD and vice versa.
I understand and I don't disagree on the benefits of upsampling. Are you going to audition the aurender with the holo spring by any chance.

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I understand and I don't disagree on the benefits of upsampling. Are you going to audition the aurender with the holo spring by any chance.
seems unlikely. The quote the dealer gave me was for the Aurender and Spec DAC combo. The Aurender is from 2018. He gave me a HUGE discount, but I'm hesitant about it already being that old. Spec DAC is from 2021.

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
seems unlikely. The quote the dealer gave me was for the Aurender and Spec DAC combo. The Aurender is from 2018. He gave me a HUGE discount, but I'm hesitant about it already being that old. Spec DAC is from 2021.
Since you don't need local storage, I would suggest to try and audition the lumin u2 mini.

I have a friend who replaced his MacBook Pro + pi2aes+denfrips gaia with a u2 mini going into a denafrips terminator and reported huge gains with the u2 mini. One chap already sold everything including the terminator and shifted to a all in one lumin P1. And is very impressed with the improvements. The lumin u2 mini seems to be hard to beat at its price point. But its app is very outdated, but still functional.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

The Auralic Altair G1 that you had upsampled but not to DSD. In studios there is no clear answer whether DSD or PCM is better; it’s just preference.

I tried a brand new Mac laptop running Audirvana into a Benchmark DAC2 and didn’t like the forwardness of the sound. When I got internet installed and used an Auralic Aries Mini playing back the same FLAC CDs (that were also in the laptop) through the Benchmark the forwardness in sound was gone.

Computers are not for me. Maybe there were other peripherals that I could have bought. But I am with @newlash09 that a purpose built unit is more straight forward and can sound as good or better depending on what you buy.

I did hear a hugely upsampled track at Fourleg’s home. I can’t remember what it was but it was so huge that it could not be run in real time (I think that’s what he said). My impression was that none of the musical message changed but the presentation was a bit different. It didn’t seem worth the bother but Nick loved it.

Last edited:

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would suggest to try and audition the lumin u2 mini.
I've just read up on it. It looks fine, but the draw is its ability to upsample. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to upsample streams, only files from a NAS. As such it falls into the same category as the Innuos products, but is more expensive given it wants the €400 S-booster LPS, and with an inferior app to the Innuos. I already know the innuos is rock solid and has a sound I like.

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just read up on it. It looks fine, but the draw is its ability to upsample. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to upsample streams, only files from a NAS. As such it falls into the same category as the Innuos products, but is more expensive given it wants the €400 S-booster LPS, and with an inferior app to the Innuos. I already know the innuos is rock solid and has a sound I like.
Thanks... I wasn't aware that the lumin couldn't upsample streams. I need to check that up 🤔

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've tried upsampling to DSD a number of times. Not for me. It does give a more spacious sound, but somewhat thinner.
I would concur with this, I was impressed at first as seemed a bit brighter and cleaner but now I have lived with DSD for a couple of days I'm not so sure! I might go back to PCM.

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm getting there. It's a lot of gear, and spaghetti, as you say, is meant to be eaten rather than electrified. Switch, NAA and Computer all need power supplies (3). Wifi extender (1) as I can't run a cable from my main router, (3) CAT 6/7/8 UTP ethernet cables to and from the switch. USB cable. (7 cables so far). Power cables to amp, Node and DAC. (4) RCA cables. 1 coax and a partridge in a pear tree.

Switch is the part I'm struggling with. Apparently an external power supply is frowned upon, but Internal power supply (whatever the heck that is --doesn't everything have to be plugged in to the electricity somewhere?) switches are expensive and of course you can't have anything with a fan because that generates electrical noise.

Lastly, where and how in squid's name am I going to put and power this? I've got two wall outlets, one on either side of the room. A power strip for each one. DAC and Node go on one? Mac, switch, and NAA on the other? where does the VTL get plugged into? ARGH!!

And then we are moving to PRG in 16 months.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm getting there. It's a lot of gear, and spaghetti, as you say, is meant to be eaten rather than electrified. Switch, NAA and Computer all need power supplies (3). Wifi extender (1) as I can't run a cable from my main router, (3) CAT 6/7/8 UTP ethernet cables to and from the switch. USB cable. (7 cables so far). Power cables to amp, Node and DAC. (4) RCA cables. 1 coax and a partridge in a pear tree.

Switch is the part I'm struggling with. Apparently an external power supply is frowned upon, but Internal power supply (whatever the heck that is --doesn't everything have to be plugged in to the electricity somewhere?) switches are expensive and of course you can't have anything with a fan because that generates electrical noise.

Lastly, where and how in squid's name am I going to put and power this? I've got two wall outlets, one on either side of the room. A power strip for each one. DAC and Node go on one? Mac, switch, and NAA on the other? where does the VTL get plugged into? ARGH!!

And then we are moving to PRG in 16 months.
Switches are cheap, you can buy them for around £12, unless you want an audiophile one?

newlash09

Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was told to get a modern switch from Cisco or Zyxel. with an internal PS: no wall warts allowed. :)
I recently bought a ubitiquiti edge 24 managed switch. I really don't know what managing it needs. But I have friends with the IT chops to sort it out for me. It has inbuilt torroidal power supply and optical SFP outputs for expansion to fiber ether net.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles