Linn Owners

Selekt Upgrade

allyb

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi

I have about £5k to spend on an upgrade. I have a Majik LP12, M140 speakers, a Rel T9 sub and a Selekt with standard DAC. Was just called Selekt when I bought it in 2020.

I was about to buy an Akurate Katalyst exaktbox about six months ago but then the Organik DAC was released so I've been waiting and now I'm just confused. I listen about 50% on vinyl and 50% streaming.

Should I still get the Exaktbox now or the Organik upgrade. The Organik reviews here and elsewhere look good but does the Organik DAC impact vinyl listening. I'd assume not but I now realise the Selekt is more complicated than just an old school amp/streamer.

Or should I just leave it and go on holiday?!

Thanks

Reactions: Paulssurround

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi

I have about £5k to spend on an upgrade. I have a Majik LP12, M140 speakers, a Rel T9 sub and a Selekt with standard DAC. Was just called Selekt when I bought it in 2020.

I was about to buy an Akurate Katalyst exaktbox about six months ago but then the Organik DAC was released so I've been waiting and now I'm just confused. I listen about 50% on vinyl and 50% streaming.

Should I still get the Exaktbox now or the Organik upgrade. The Organik reviews here and elsewhere look good but does the Organik DAC impact vinyl listening. I'd assume not but I now realise the Selekt is more complicated than just an old school amp/streamer.

Or should I just leave it and go on holiday?!

Thanks
Hi
Personally I'd go on holiday :ROFLMAO: but failing that I'd probably spend it on the Selekt its the way forward from Linn (imho) I have an AEBI Kat and its a good piece of kit but I think it'll lead you to a dead end with no upgradability again just my opinion but I don't see AEBI getting Organik and maybe not the power supply either unfortunately :(. 2 weeks in the Caribbean also sounds good and definitely won't be affected by the Organik ;)

formann

Øyvind I
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Ski Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi. I'm in a similar position as yourself since I have upgraded to Klimax 350P. In Selekt DSM (and ADSM/3 for that matter), everything is digitalized anyhow so dac has indeed impact on vinyl performance is indeed improved by the dac.
My 350P are fed by Klimax LP12 (2020), Urika2, via standard Selekt DSM (2019) and two channels on Akurate4200.
I came from Akubarik and Akurate 10 Katalyst Exaktbox and 2A4200 (+ one Majik channel) and via Majik Isobarik and now the Klimax. As I still have the Exaktbox and the two A4200 I could convert the 350p to external Katalyst for minium outlay.
I'm however sectical since I have heard how good the Selekt is with Organic.
A bit over-simplified from my experience: Exakt with Katalyst tidies up the music and it's easier to hear the instruments, but Organik makes the music more fun to listen to. Which is what it all boils down to.

Having also heard my 350P with Selekt Classic DSM and Organic via Klimax Solo there is a lot to gain. The difference between the Solo and A4200 is however less than from standard dac to Organik - allways source first and downstream.

In my case I will go Organic (and later PSU) in the Selekt as Klimax Exaktbox Organic is way way to much.

Regards
Øyvind I

• Upvote

Suffolkboy

Wammer
Apr 19, 2020
Hi. I'm in a similar position as yourself since I have upgraded to Klimax 350P. In Selekt DSM (and ADSM/3 for that matter), everything is digitalized anyhow so dac has indeed impact on vinyl performance is indeed improved by the dac.
My 350P are fed by Klimax LP12 (2020), Urika2, via standard Selekt DSM (2019) and two channels on Akurate4200.
I came from Akubarik and Akurate 10 Katalyst Exaktbox and 2A4200 (+ one Majik channel) and via Majik Isobarik and now the Klimax. As I still have the Exaktbox and the two A4200 I could convert the 350p to external Katalyst for minium outlay.
I'm however sectical since I have heard how good the Selekt is with Organic.
A bit over-simplified from my experience: Exakt with Katalyst tidies up the music and it's easier to hear the instruments, but Organik makes the music more fun to listen to. Which is what it all boils down to.

Having also heard my 350P with Selekt Classic DSM and Organic via Klimax Solo there is a lot to gain. The difference between the Solo and A4200 is however less than from standard dac to Organik - allways source first and downstream.

In my case I will go Organic (and later PSU) in the Selekt as Klimax Exaktbox Organic is way way to much.

Regards
Øyvind I
If you go exakt with 350p you will need different internal aktiv bass cards.
Both routes offer different things but 350 passive with organik do sound very good.
Get the organik and utopik ps.

kook

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 17, 2013
With 50% listening on vinyl, Lingo and Kore could work for the LP12 and then just pause a bit longer for a digital upgrade down the line.

That would take around half the budget - but still quite a good value improvement overall.

I'm not sure how it all works, but adding in Utopik now if possible might be efficient too.

Reactions: formann

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Vinyl is an insatiably thirsty mistress.

I'm uncertain what amplification you have? If only the onboard Selekt, I would do as I have just done, the Exaktbox-i Kat. Yes, Organik is the latest and greatest, but Katalyst used to be the greatest. I was convinced to buy this Exaktbox-i Katalyst by hearing it grab a pair of 140's by the scruff of the neck and wring some incredibly powerful and taut bass out of them. The Selekt system hub as start of that chain. It made me respect the 2K a lot too. Dead end or not (it's not), it will always bring a lot of musical enjoyment. Because of that, it will always hold a fair amount of value on the second hand market too, or as a trade in.

Organik is out there in some variant, at some time in the future. It is presently perhaps not a mirage, but certainly an uncertainty for anything other than Selekt cartridges. If you're running the 140's with some great and powerful amps, then Organiking your Selekt is an easy choice. If you only have the Selekt amp....I dunno.... I've never heard it enough to comment.

If there is an Organik Exaktbox-i, it will absolutely be better than an AEB-i Kat, but it will unquestionably absolutely be stupid money. A cost your piddling little pile will be dwarfed by.

The vacation will leave a smeared stamp in your passport.

• Upvote

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Vinyl is an insatiably thirsty mistress.

I'm uncertain what amplification you have? If only the onboard Selekt, I would do as I have just done, the Exaktbox-i Kat. Yes, Organik is the latest and greatest, but Katalyst used to be the greatest. I was convinced to buy this Exaktbox-i Katalyst by hearing it grab a pair of 140's by the scruff of the neck and wring some incredibly powerful and taut bass out of them. The Selekt system hub as start of that chain. It made me respect the 2K a lot too. Dead end or not (it's not), it will always bring a lot of musical enjoyment. Because of that, it will always hold a fair amount of value on the second hand market too, or as a trade in.

Organik is out there in some variant, at some time in the future. It is presently perhaps not a mirage, but certainly an uncertainty for anything other than Selekt cartridges. If you're running the 140's with some great and powerful amps, then Organiking your Selekt is an easy choice. If you only have the Selekt amp....I dunno.... I've never heard it enough to comment.

If there is an Organik Exaktbox-i, it will absolutely be better than an AEB-i Kat, but it will unquestionably absolutely be stupid money. A cost your piddling little pile will be dwarfed by.

The vacation will leave a smeared stamp in your passport.
Hi Jail
what makes you think AEBI Kat is not a dead end for Akurate users ? I love the sound I have but I cannot see Linn upgrading AEBI to Organik or Utopik (I so hope I'm wrong) but I see no upgrade path for my AEBI Kat and M140's, being a 4 way rules out Selekt . Other than a complete upgrade to Klimax level source/Exaktboxes and better speakers.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi Jail
what makes you think AEBI Kat is not a dead end for Akurate users ? I love the sound I have but I cannot see Linn upgrading AEBI to Organik or Utopik (I so hope I'm wrong) but I see no upgrade path for my AEBI Kat and M140's, being a 4 way rules out Selekt . Other than a complete upgrade to Klimax level source/Exaktboxes and better speakers.
The 5125 was eligible for Dynamik upgrades long after it's end of life. There were all the other devices in it's generation that also got Dynamik. The Karosel can be installed on any deck back to the seventies vintage.

I'll pose this as a reasonable question, rather an assert a they will do the upgrade, as you may be correct too. Wouldn't Linn be foolish to not take customers money for a Utopik upgrade to any and all Akurate gear? It might not be a priority, so it might arrive after all current "in production" gear gets the upgrade option, but they would be crazy to leave this money on the table n'est pas?

But really, I was reading dead end differently. Painting the Exaktbox-i with this broad negative brush doesn't acknowledge that it's damn fine equipment, and will remain incredibly competent for a generation. Lots of folks are still over the moon with their LK gear. I just sold my Exakt only Exaktbox-i to someone who is very happy. I'm super happy with my Katalyst version. SUPER happy. This thing can produce stunning results from any, up to four way, speaker you plug it into. Any (call Sunbeam). From my few experiences with Organik, it is great, but my experiences with BOTH iterations of an Exaktbox-i say they are special, in the way the Katans and Ninkas are.

The silver medalist always wishes they won gold. But to regular folk, they're on the podium!

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I owned a Majik Exaktbox I a few years ago, and then upgraded to the newer Katalyst Akurate Exaktbox I, which I still own.

I have used both boxes to drive my surround channel speakers, which initially was a pair of Akurate 212's, which I sold to Jail4CEO's, which I replaced with a pair of passive Akudoriks.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Katalyst Akurate Exaktbox I as a brilliant piece of kit, and whose sound quality is excellent. As Jail4CEO's states, it should hold its own as a piece of Linn kit that should give many years of enjoyment to come

Coincidentally, I had a discussion with my Linn dealer this morning, and in his opinion, the Akurate line of electronic products will not be upgradeable to Organik or to Utopik.

First he stated that the Utopik power supplies will not fit in the Akurate casework. I hope he is wrong, as I have seen the inside of most of the Akurate line of products, and there seems to be a lot of room in some of the Akurate products. However, the Exaktbox I's don't have a lot of room to spare.

Then we moved on to a discussion about the possibility of upgrading any of my Akurate Exaktboxes to Organik in the future.

Again, he said that it was very unlikely. The Akurate level Exaktboxes are using older computer technology, and don't have the computing power to keep up with the Organik DAC's according to him. The modifications and upgrades that would be required to allow the Akurate level components to power the Organik DAC's would probably require a complete gut of the internal components, leaving only the Akurate casework.

I guess time will tell, but he may well be correct.

Linn is definitely pushing the Selekt line, with an email this morning promoting the change from Akurate DS/DSM to Selekt DSM products, with a Linn factory authorized trade in allowance Extended to Linn dealers and their customers.

I don't know what the future brings for me, but my Akurate Exaktbox I will be staying with me for quite some time to come, as I am in no rush to trade it in. I am well satisfied with the performance of it.

Actually, there is nothing to trade it in my Akurate Exaktboxes for? I don't see any Selekt Exaktboxes that could replace an Akurate Exaktbox 6 or Exaktbox 10

The truth is out there.

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
@allyb Here is my can of worms:

I think the biggest upgrade you can do is activating your M140, if you don’t mind sourcing S/H you could go with the “old” passive solution leaving the DAC in your Selekt leading in the signal path and relevant for upgrade to Organik. Mind you that Organik DAC upgrade for Selekt is no chump change with 3.2K but it leaves room in your budget to source the analog active stuff S/H

That is if you want to keep your M140s.£5k and trade in value will be sufficient funds for Kudos super 20a which are (a matter of taste af course) a real upgrade from M140s. You could activate S20a later, Katalyst or Organik all in one box.

On the other hand: I own a AEBi and had M140s, Keltiks and now Super20s running from it and every time I upgrade the speaker I’m amazed about the performance of the AEBi. I’m also not sure if you integrate a sub in AEBi-Selekt configuration, you can in the analog active solution.

If I take a look in the future guesstimating that Organik and Utopia don’t reach the Akurate range, I have 2 choices, keeping what I have or opting for a Selekt to the all the new good stuff at a whopping e18000,- on basis of Selekt classic and staying Exakt.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
20230526_193311.JPG
Ok, here is the inside of an Akurate Exaktbox-i Katalyst. That black central area is the power supply. That is a very large area. The Selekt is smaller I think. So if a Utopik fits in a Selekt, wouldn't it fit here? Again, it behooves Linn to sell a bunch of these things. It's money found in the couch cushions.

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
20230526_193311.JPG
Ok, here is the inside of an Akurate Exaktbox-i Katalyst. That black central area is the power supply. That is a very large area. The Selekt is smaller I think. So if a Utopik fits in a Selekt, wouldn't it fit here? Again, it behooves Linn to sell a bunch of these things. It's money found in the couch cushions.
I would be very interested indeed

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I owned a Majik Exaktbox I a few years ago, and then upgraded to the newer Katalyst Akurate Exaktbox I, which I still own.

I have used both boxes to drive my surround channel speakers, which initially was a pair of Akurate 212's, which I sold to Jail4CEO's, which I replaced with a pair of passive Akudoriks.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Katalyst Akurate Exaktbox I as a brilliant piece of kit, and whose sound quality is excellent. As Jail4CEO's states, it should hold its own as a piece of Linn kit that should give many years of enjoyment to come

Coincidentally, I had a discussion with my Linn dealer this morning, and in his opinion, the Akurate line of electronic products will not be upgradeable to Organik or to Utopik.

First he stated that the Utopik power supplies will not fit in the Akurate casework. I hope he is wrong, as I have seen the inside of most of the Akurate line of products, and there seems to be a lot of room in some of the Akurate products. However, the Exaktbox I's don't have a lot of room to spare.

Then we moved on to a discussion about the possibility of upgrading any of my Akurate Exaktboxes to Organik in the future.

Again, he said that it was very unlikely. The Akurate level Exaktboxes are using older computer technology, and don't have the computing power to keep up with the Organik DAC's according to him. The modifications and upgrades that would be required to allow the Akurate level components to power the Organik DAC's would probably require a complete gut of the internal components, leaving only the Akurate casework.

I guess time will tell, but he may well be correct.

Linn is definitely pushing the Selekt line, with an email this morning promoting the change from Akurate DS/DSM to Selekt DSM products, with a Linn factory authorized trade in allowance Extended to Linn dealers and their customers.

I don't know what the future brings for me, but my Akurate Exaktbox I will be staying with me for quite some time to come, as I am in no rush to trade it in. I am well satisfied with the performance of it.

Actually, there is nothing to trade it in my Akurate Exaktboxes for? I don't see any Selekt Exaktboxes that could replace an Akurate Exaktbox 6 or Exaktbox 10

The truth is out there.
"Linn is definitely pushing the Selekt line, with an email this morning promoting the change from Akurate DS/DSM to Selekt DSM products, with a Linn factory authorized trade in allowance Extended to Linn dealers and their customers."
This is the answer: for Linn Akurate is dead.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The Selekt power supply under the black shroud is wider, but shorter. I've got to think the smart engineers can fit it into the larger power supply region in Akurate casework. Again, money in the couch cushions Linn! There's a ton of Majik/Akurate amps out there that have this footprint, that are still in the catalog, that will need this. This is not couch cushion money, this is like finding a five hundred euro note on the street!

Attachments

• Test-Linn_Selekt_DSM-15.jpg
    Test-Linn_Selekt_DSM-15.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 23
  • p10502859nj78.jpg
    p10502859nj78.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Selekt power supply under the black shroud is wider, but shorter. I've got to think the smart engineers can fit it into the larger power supply region in Akurate casework. Again, money in the couch cushions Linn! There's a ton of Majik/Akurate amps out there that have this footprint, that are still in the catalog, that will need this. This is not couch cushion money, this is like finding a five hundred euro note on the street!
I agree that Linn would be leaving a lot of money on the table by not introducing a Utopik upgrade option for Akurate level products with Dynamik power supplies.

I am not sure that I would splash out more money to change my Akurate Exaktbox I for a Selekt version, just to get the Utopik power supply. But I would probably upgrade my Dynamik power supply for Utopik if the upgrade was available.

Reactions: Pennypacker

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Any Selekt Exaktbox-i would be Organik, so you'd be first in line.

Maybe some pinhead bean counter fears by giving a new five year warranty that comes (came) with a power supply upgrade (in the past) there could be high failure rates (because they know something we don't....yet) causing warranty costs?

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wrote that for Linn all Akurate line like DS, power amp, Exaktbox I,etc...is dead because in my opinion Selekt, of which there are many variations, will take Akurate's place. The problem is not whether Linn will be able to make Utopik for other devices besides Selekt because if Linn wants he can and maybe the exact same power supply for Majik could also be used with Akurate as it was for Dynamik (remember Dynamik for Klimax, Akurate, Solo, ds ...) the problem is marketing: we need to see if it is convenient for them to keep all these product lines. If Linn is still interested in Akurate why is she pushing for a trade-in with Selekt?

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
in any case Utopik will also be released for other devices (Linn writes it on the site: coming soon...) but let's forget Akurate, in fact I'm surprised that they are still on sale. a company nowadays cannot hold 3 product lines: Akurate, Selekt Edition and Selekt standard with similar performance!

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I think that is wel put, they need it! It’s not even a choice! If Linn can’t supply Utopik for older cases a UN intervention is in place AFAIK.

• Haha

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Maybe a bit of topic, I think it al depends on what type of speaker Linn will release and how many drivers it sport. In other words, A on box’s Selekt can “only” run 3 way speakers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles