Linn Owners

Selekt / Exakt / Vinyl

PhilCO

Wammer
Dec 26, 2022
Trowbridge, Wilstshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi - possibly returning Linn customer here - having been from the Karik / LK100 / Keilieh era previously, and now totally confused by all of the latest Linn Incarnations and acronyms (so please go easy on me)

I have a basic understanding question that I am pretty sure I know the answer to - but need to be 100%.

Am I right in thinking that an Exakt connection (Say between a Selekt streamer and Akubarik speakers) is purely digital?

So a scenario of playing a vinyl deck, into the line in on a Selekt streamer connected to Akubarik speakers wont work?

And from the documentation I can see on the Akubarik speakers, it appears they only have an Exakt connection thus could never operate playing an analogue source?

Please assume this is stupid set of questions #1 ……. Thanks!

Phil

Suffolkboy

Wammer
Apr 19, 2020
An analogue input is digitised, and sent to akubariks.
You require an exakt output to the exakt akubariks via akurate, selekt, Klimax ds or dsm.
Very early ds and dsm did not have exakt outputs but can be upgraded.

Roonster111

New Wammer
Dec 30, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hola, I came from a similar position to you and landed safely with the new range.

Fairly sure that the select has a phono input as standard (my Akkurate Hub certainly does). Yes the Akubarik (as fas as I know) is now solely Exakt - but that has not always been the case.

If you're planning to buy new, best thing would be to visit a dealer, as the options (and akronyms) are pretty much endless.👍

PhilCO

Wammer
Dec 26, 2022
Trowbridge, Wilstshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
An analogue input is digitised, and sent to akubariks.
You require an exakt output to the exakt akubariks via akurate, selekt, Klimax ds or dsm.
Very early ds and dsm did not have exakt outputs but can be upgraded.
Thanks! That just seems the total opposite of Linn’s ethos about extracting as much from the source as possible - that they would then convert an Analogue signal to digital, send to the speakers and then run it through another DAC (or set of DACs)!!! But thank you so much for clarifying

PhilCO

Wammer
Dec 26, 2022
Trowbridge, Wilstshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hola, I came from a similar position to you and landed safely with the new range.

Fairly sure that the select has a phono input as standard (my Akkurate Hub certainly does). Yes the Akubarik (as fas as I know) is now solely Exakt - but that has not always been the case.

If you're planning to buy new, best thing would be to visit a dealer, as the options (and akronyms) are pretty much endless.👍
Yes the Selekt does has phono input but I could not figure out how that then got to a digital signal for Exakt connection to the speakers - but it appears there is Analog to Digitial conversion then you convert back again to Analog …… Scratching my head on that one and thanks! (And yes of course will do the dealer rounds )
Phil

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes you have now got the hang of the basics so to speak. It does indeed seem counter intuitive but the only way you will know whether the Exakt route is for you is to visit a good dealer and hear a vinyl source being played into an Exakt system and speakers.

Reactions: dunga and PhilCO

Mark57

Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Yes, go listen.

Linn believes the technology has moved on so that there are negligible losses in the digitisation process and that the advantages of having the signal in the digital domain eg being able to use digital crossovers and room correction are overwhelming.

Others on here will be spitting tacks at that idea, and are convinced an all analogue system is the way to go for vinyl.

I happen to be with Linn on this (and also highly value box minimisation) and run my LP12 via a Urika 2 (digital phono stage) and Klimax Hub through to Exakt Akubariks. But you should listen for yourself.

PhilCO

Wammer
Dec 26, 2022
Trowbridge, Wilstshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, go listen.

Linn believes the technology has moved on so that there are negligible losses in the digitisation process and that the advantages of having the signal in the digital domain eg being able to use digital crossovers and room correction are overwhelming.

Others on here will be spitting tacks at that idea, and are convinced an all analogue system is the way to go for vinyl.

I happen to be with Linn on this (and also highly value box minimisation) and run my LP12 via a Urika 2 (digital phono stage) and Klimax Hub through to Exakt Akubariks. But you should listen for yourself.
For sure the idea of a single box (plus the turntable), with digital cables running to the speakers is super appealing. Its the A2D process that I did not understand occurred.

I guess I will now continue my reading, and I will now go find a whole bunch of information about the Akubariks speakers only having Katalyst DACs in and that they need to be Organik dacs etc!

Thanks everyone

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For sure the idea of a single box (plus the turntable), with digital cables running to the speakers is super appealing. Its the A2D process that I did not understand occurred.

I guess I will now continue my reading, and I will now go find a whole bunch of information about the Akubariks speakers only having Katalyst DACs in and that they need to be Organik dacs etc!

Thanks everyone
where are you located. our setup s exactly what you describe and if you’re close by then you're most welcome to come over for a listen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles