Selekt Edition Review (Forum Members)

peter@57m

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 4, 2015
Surrey, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would be strange if Linn didn't replace the Klimax and Akurate amps. They both look a bit old-fashioned and visually do not fit the new Selekt and Klimax at all. The internal amplifier of the Selekt is not a serious replacement, not even of the Akurate. It is at most a nice entry-level model. I wonder if Linn can improve the old amps: they still sound pretty good.
Again…the strategy will be to sell the Utopiks first and then present the new amps.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I much prefer the look of the classic Klimax units to the Select and NG Klimax

dikki

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2019
Amsterdam
www.dikki.nl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the classic Klimax design is the most beautiful piece of audio equipment I have ever seen. Simple straight lines, combined with a single curve at the front. Awe inspiring beauty.

Then there is the NG. I see its appeal, when used. The big screen giving information about what you play is an advantage. But I'm sorry, I just don't like it.

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Then there is the NG. I see its appeal, when used. The big screen giving information about what you play is an advantage. But I'm sorry, I just don't like it.
Put it in a cupboard and just listen…

’troll

Reactions: Craigas and silkie

dikki

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2019
Amsterdam
www.dikki.nl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Put it in a cupboard and just listen…

’troll
True. I like well designed products though. It is like having my iphone in a cover. I like the design, so I'm not covering that with something cheap.

BTW, the listening experience might change that indeed. Good music is after all what I'm after.

papillon

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 25, 2009
Luxembourg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some feedback from my system. I received the Selekt Edition 2 days ago (stereo Organik), it replaced an ADSM/3. Power amp is a "little" Naim nap100.
I'm not a good describer but I could notice that everything is better compared to the Akurate. It's clearly an improvement. What impresses me the most is that it really gets you in the music, you can't just stay in front of it and think about something else :) :)

at low level there are more details and more bass too, which I like a lot, specially when the family is sleeping. and at higher volume it's still pleasant to listen.

1) now I wonder if I shouldn't replace the naim with the internal amp, to have only one box and avoid additional cables.
Some forumers were mentioning that a better internal amp was on its way but that's not what the dealer told me. Rather other external amps to fit the new Selekt cases.

2) I wonder if the hdmi switch to listen to the movie streamer is not better than connecting the hdmi streamer to the TV and then the TV to ARC of the Selekt. the hdmi switch is still 700 euros though...if there's no sound improvement...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online