Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting review, thanks. This is the second one that’s mentioned all the stuff bundled into one device - streamer, DAC, phono stage, headphone amp and preamp. Whereas I still think of it as (just) a streamer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mischa

formann

Øyvind I
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Ski Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting review, thanks. This is the second one that’s mentioned all the stuff bundled into one device - streamer, DAC, phono stage, headphone amp and preamp. Whereas I still think of it as (just) a streamer.
How is it possible of think of it (and Akurate DSM, Klimax DSM - even Majik DSM) as a streamer with the info that's available?
The major thing about the Selekt series (and it take a bit of time for me to see the full options) is that is an extremely versatile product.

1) As a hub (streaming, analouge and digital input) into Exakt system.
2) Preamp, as above but line out. Quality of the pre-amp being 4 alternatives (Basik DAC, Katalys, Organik, og 2xmono Organic)
3) One box with a power amp (combo of DAC,s as above)
4) One box with up to 3 power amps (combo of DAC,s as above)
5) One box with up to 3 power amps and Exakt engine for quite a few loudspeakers (combo of DAC,s as above)

And thens the HDMI alternatives, headphone (did'nt come for the standard Selekt).
And lastly the option of standard Selekt Classic vs Selekt Edition (which I think they should have considered a different name for). A substantional difference in performance due to the chassis.
As another goodie is the option that if one has a Selekt version and later upgrade to Edition all the internals can be moved across and the old unit sold off.

I believe nothing else comes close.

Øyvind I

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the 1960's and 1970's we had Radiograms and Music Centres with everything crammed into one, albeit bigger, box. So its hardly a new concept, it never really worked as, especially the Music Centres tended to overheat and either burn components or catch fire. The Linn Classic was not a great idea really and they tended to fail because of no proper ventilation. Some early Radiograms even had a "Cocktail Cabinet/Bar" included to make the party go even better. I note sadly that Linn does not list this as an option on the new Seleck's.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
…another goodie is the option that if one has a Selekt version and later upgrade to Edition all the internals can be moved across and the old unit sold off.
I hadn’t appreciated that was possible, although it does highlight that the Edition case apparently costs about £4,000+ which is hard to grasp (by me).

• Wow
Reactions: maddog_007

Goon525

Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
I agree with formann that they should have used a different name to better separate Selekt Edition from Classik. Akurate comes to mind.

Reactions: Billz

wildwildWes

SciLinntologist
Wammer
Jul 24, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some early Radiograms even had a "Cocktail Cabinet/Bar" included to make the party go even better. I note sadly that Linn does not list this as an option on the new Seleck's.
Agree, and to mitigate this I use the knob as a coaster for long cocktails that fit the aesthetic.

Just kidding, I like the knob, it's growing on me!

GeraldS

Wammer
Oct 10, 2022
Nürnberg / Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree with formann that they should have used a different name to better separate Selekt Edition from Classik. Akurate comes to mind.
Interresting is that it was called "Selekt (Premium and Classic)" in the Davaar 97 release notes. Looks like they change the name to Edition before release.

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I hadn’t appreciated that was possible, although it does highlight that the Edition case apparently costs about £4,000+ which is hard to grasp (by me).
Having seen and handled both the Selekt Edition and Classic hubs in the flesh, you can see and feel where the extra money has been spent.

Whether that means it is £4000 better I cannot comment. However, without being too detrimental to the Classic, there is a big difference and the Edition does look a lot nicer.

DG…

Reactions: uk030 and Nopiano

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They both have one foot at the front though. It should be 2 at the front, 1 at the back. I understand they wanted it to align with the control dial, but that's irrelevant for the Majik so it has 4 feet. I like the natural stability of 3 feet, my RP1 is the same, but with 2 at the front, as you'd expect.
I just think it looks slightly odd, unstable even, the other way round. Or am I the only one who thinks that?

silkie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Saffron Walden
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They both have one foot at the front though. It should be 2 at the front, 1 at the back. I understand they wanted it to align with the control dial, but that's irrelevant for the Majik so it has 4 feet. I like the natural stability of 3 feet, my RP1 is the same, but with 2 at the front, as you'd expect.
I just think it looks slightly odd, unstable even, the other way round. Or am I the only one who thinks that?
I used to feel the same way but you get used to it. Now I can't stand looking at the primare amps any more. https://primare.net/product-category/product-category/phono-preamplifiers/

timster

Linnguist
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Wiltshire, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fair enough. They don't look too bad to me.
Maybe I will get used to it. My Selekt sits on a platform, with 4 'feet', so that makes it look slightly better.

Reactions: silkie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online