RME ADI-2 DAC Query - Or Other DAC Options?

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am currently saving for a new DAC for my second system and getting impatient.

At the minute, I am using a Chord DAVE and swapping it between my 2 systems which is becoming a pain in the backside, so I'm thinking about investing in something as a stop-gap, on the assumption I shouldn't lose too much when it's time to pull the plug on the new DAC.

I only have two requirements:

1. It needs to have an internal volume control (which is a bit of a concern at the more budget end as my understanding is that they tend to 'compress' the bits); and

2. The small matter that it needs to sound good enough that the pain of swapping the DAVE in and out isn't worth it.

I was wondering how good the internal volume was on the RME ADI-2 to make it a worthwhile stop-gap?

Any other DACs with a decent internal volume control around this price point that might be worth a shout?

In fact, it may need a proper classifieds ad, but if anyone has something along these lines they'd like to swap for a bit and try out my Pagoda (for a taste of R2R, valve output, legendary PCM1704 chip loveliness), then do let me know?

Cheers

Last edited:

metlor

Wammer
Jul 27, 2018
The RME volume control is very well implemented.
As for sounding leaner, may well be the case, however it's excellent EQ capabilities would probably allow you to overcome this.

Reactions: tuga and karlsushi

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am not really using the dac side of the RME except when using headphones as it accepts 32/768khz so can't really comment I'm afraid . The volume pot is very linear and bass and treble can be tweaked I believe if you don't want to get into too much EQ shenanigans . There are lots of options at this level of expenditure so take your time

Reactions: karlsushi

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Depending on how it fairs against my audio GD R7HE I may be willing to part with my Acuhorn R2R T.

Proper ladder resistor DAC with factory ungraded dueland and mudorf pure silver wire.

It takes almost all directly heated triodes including 45, 300B, 45, 2A3, PX4. USB and spdif digital inputs.

Mated to Roon or Audirvana for parametric EQ.

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Depending on how it fairs against my audio GD R7HE I may be willing to part with my Acuhorn R2R T.

Proper ladder resistor DAC with factory ungraded dueland and mudorf pure silver wire.

It takes almost all directly heated triodes including 45, 300B, 45, 2A3, PX4. USB and spdif digital inputs.

Mated to Roon or Audirvana for parametric EQ.
And uses the well-regarded Soekris board I believe. Certainly an interesting looking DAC.

Does it have a volume control though?

Reactions: Psilonaught

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And uses the well-regarded Soekris board I believe. Certainly an interesting looking DAC.

Does it have a volume control though?
It does have adjustable gain on the back actually although strictly speaking that's not really designed for total gain control, more gain adjustment.

Literally just received in just now so keen to listen to it. The Soekris board in the uprated one with 0.01 tolerance resistors.

Reactions: karlsushi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online