Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I really like the way you have crafted your system. I am getting an idea that your amps and speakers are put together to create textures and a certain type of tonal colour. 
Very kind Sir. 
Many years ago I came across a system based on the Harbeth C7’s, Sugden A21a S2 and an AstinTrew 3500 CD player and it was tonally bang on. It had no fancy cables but well built ones. It was a system that could run beautifully for hours without fatigue but detail was inspiring. Imo, it could run a system costing four times as much, a run for its money. I’m a vinyl man first and foremost so digital has been a secondary source but I’m really enjoying what the Copland can do wether it’s connected to the Sugden or Copland.

You can’t really have two systems imo because it confuses things but having had a naim system (yes, I know!) at 4 times the price of what I have now, I can definitely say what I prefer. I hope when I can do my bake-off, we can all compare. 
There is no right or wrong system but their is one that you like. 

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very kind Sir. 
Many years ago I came across a system based on the Harbeth C7’s, Sugden A21a S2 and an AstinTrew 3500 CD player and it was tonally bang on. It had no fancy cables but well built ones. It was a system that could run beautifully for hours without fatigue but detail was inspiring. Imo, it could run a system costing four times as much, a run for its money. I’m a vinyl man first and foremost so digital has been a secondary source but I’m really enjoying what the Copland can do wether it’s connected to the Sugden or Copland.

You can’t really have two systems imo because it confuses things but having had a naim system (yes, I know!) at 4 times the price of what I have now, I can definitely say what I prefer. I hope when I can do my bake-off, we can all compare. 
There is no right or wrong system but their is one that you like. 

Ha ha, yes we have all been there with Naim, this is how we learn to put together such inspiring systems which are very musically satisfying. Your bake off will be a great time for all. I'm in Devon in May for a meditation week, a different type of inspiration but equally as enjoyable. I understand you are down that way, fabulous part of the world.

I'm not far from Mr Shaw and have an open invitation to pop in for coffee and drool at his XD offerings of which I was mightily impressed with the es7's at Bristol last year. In fact I spent most of my time in his room and the other half listening to PMC's latest offerings, also very impressed with new sea's tweeter and cross over.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
From what I gather, the 7es XD are the pick of the crop. 
Well i'm hesitant to make any judgement about the 30's or 5's as not heard them in the flesh. But yes the es7's were very open and integrated and quite out of the box . Not your average bbc monitor performance.

They rocked hard with  solid bass and gave a large out the box presentation with classical . All said a very enjoyable long term listening experience and congradulated Mr Shaw for his accomplishment. He said the  crossover had been revised and accounted for the extra bandwidth and clarity.

Bazzaah

New Wammer
Mar 31, 2021
Thanks everyone. I have to wait a few weeks so I'll see if the Fantasy is around then, but good to know that's the better buy.

Reactions: hiesteem

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks everyone. I have to wait a few weeks so I'll see if the Fantasy is around then, but good to know that's the better buy.
Good luck with what you decide. The fantasy is the best kept secret. It really does out perform most sub 5 k amps I have heard in today's market.

It will drive any speaker and has a powerful and balanced detailed sound throughout the frequency range. 

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Restek are about to release a new integrated amp called the Explizit.

There's a bit of information about it on the Audio Emotion website.  600 watts per channel :D into 8ohms.

I just love that about our friends in fuldabruck. There you go have that!! kind of approach.

Also a lot of Restek equipment on eBay at the moment .  

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Restek are about to release a new integrated amp called the Explizit.

There's a bit of information about it on the Audio Emotion website.  600 watts per channel :D into 8ohms.

I just love that about our friends in fuldenbruk. There you go have that!! kind of approach.

Also a lot of Restek equipment on eBay at the moment .  
Got my eye on that Concret mk11

Reactions: deggie and hiesteem

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got my eye on that Concret mk11
Yes, I thought you might be interested in that. Actually a lot of kit turns up in Worthing and the south coast. Graham from Soundwaves, once of Worthing sold 100's of Restek units before he retired.

It's a safe buy, they don't go wrong and Restek repair and upgrade most of their kit including the Concret. It's a wolfson Dac chip in it, and is a fun listening experience.

Huge bass and in yer face highs that were the order of the day in the 90's. Will make a great transport for your current Dac too. CDM 9 Pro, battleship build.

Personally i'm drooling at the Tensor power amp on sale from Germany . It's an absolute beast, and no way back from there. 

Friend of mine has one, said to me he doesn't understand why people say Ns 1000's don't do bass 9_9 . Basically they are two Restek mono's in one box :love:  .

Last edited by a moderator:

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is a new brand to me but whilst browsing I happened across their MTUN+ Dab / FM tuner - part of the M series of which there are amps and Dacs etc.
I don't imagine this is a big market these days but visually and sizewise this is exactly what I am looking for (albeit quite pricey!) You can even choose the display colour!
Bit of a long shot but has anyone heard this tuner or even any other components from the series?
It would match my other kit perfectly and it's exactly the right size for my shelves - that I don't really want to replace as I have become a fan of the "midi" size components out there (There are actually quite a few these days)
The only review I can find is a 6 page scanned pdf file in German - and I don't understand a word of it (google translate won't work with scanned documents)
I'm sure I will be advised I could get something similar but half the price from Rotel etc but as I have said above this would be a great fit with my other kit and shelving. However, all said and done it obviously has to sound good too or there would be no point buying.
Anyone heard their kit - especially this M series - any ideas to sound signature?
£1400 is a lot of money on a gamble just for the aesthetics - but I suppose I could always return it to the dealer if not happy.
I also could see the display across the room without my glasses on :D
P.S I'll attach the pdf in case an German speakers would be kind enough to translate - or even give a general synopsis of the doc.
mtun_plus_rot-klein.jpg

Attachments

• MTUN+ HIFI STARS Juni 2013.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 3

I.D.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 14, 2021
Golley that's a name i haven't heard in a while. I used to frequent a dealership in Worthing after work (where you wasn't looked down on in work clothes) and listen to their Restek kit. It must of changed it's signature sound since it's early days:unsure:

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone heard their kit - especially this M series - any ideas to sound signature?
All my electronics are Restek, bought in 1998. Restek Concret 11 cd player, never gone wrong or failed.
Restek Fantasy amp, proper power, will drive anything.
I added the MdAC+ in 2016.
To give you an idea of the quality of their products, their main business is with the German MOD. Their audio equipment is a fairly small business.
They don't change models much. They don't need to.
In the UK people don't seem to know much about them, however the German enthusiast definitely do.
I would say their sound signature is a cross between the smoothness of class a and the power of class A,B.
What they excel in is huge dynamics, in all the frequency extremes.
Trust your gut, these guys really know how to build electronics. Online you can see the inside of their Director pre amp. It really is built to a very high quality and you don't need to be an expert to see this.
I don't see myself changing to another brand, but perhaps an active Atc speaker, as it would likely give the sort of power and dynamics I am used to with Restek.

Attachments

• 16564321761533652027972482108734.jpg
    16564321761533652027972482108734.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: Rayymondo

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Golley that's a name i haven't heard in a while. I used to frequent a dealership in Worthing after work (where you wasn't looked down on in work clothes) and listen to their Restek kit. It must of changed it's signature sound since it's early days:unsure:
That would be Graham, then.

Reactions: I.D.S.

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks @hiesteem , it's good to get positive responses to queries - I really know nothing about the brand. I am fussy about how kit looks (as well as sounds of course!) and although this product is quite expensive, I imagine it would be the last tuner I ever needed, unless some strange develop happens in the world of radio. I do like a well-made product and I am a fan of the midi size components as mentioned above. My Dac is also German and small in size - it's the T+A DAC 8 DSD which I am very happy with. I only have enough space on my rack for one full size piece of kit and that's the top shelf where my integrated amp is currently sitting. TBH I didn't really expect any responses from this post and was considering moving it to the main 2 channel page.
As it happens I sent a message to the dealer today and they said they have one in stock that they could lend me for a home trial - although unfortunately it's not the colour I wanted so I have advised them they will end up with an open box tuner they may struggle to shift in the future.
I will see what they say.
Sometimes you just like a product - and as you say have to go with your gut instinct, still pays to be cautious though as I don't imagine this would be an easy item to sell on in the future.
I listen to the radio a lot and don't like to rely on the internet for it as I have limited data plan and only use a "mi-fi" / hotspot device for internet at home.
I will post a pic of my current system - the MTUN+ would replace my current FM only tuner on the bottom shelf.
cheers
Ray
IMG20211031104519.jpg

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks @hiesteem , it's good to get positive responses to queries - I really know nothing about the brand. I am fussy about how kit looks (as well as sounds of course!) and although this product is quite expensive, I imagine it would be the last tuner I ever needed, unless some strange develop happens in the world of radio. I do like a well-made product and I am a fan of the midi size components as mentioned above. My Dac is also German and small in size - it's the T+A DAC 8 DSD which I am very happy with. I only have enough space on my rack for one full size piece of kit and that's the top shelf where my integrated amp is currently sitting. TBH I didn't really expect any responses from this post and was considering moving it to the main 2 channel page.
As it happens I sent a message to the dealer today and they said they have one in stock that they could lend me for a home trial - although unfortunately it's not the colour I wanted so I have advised them they will end up with an open box tuner they may struggle to shift in the future.
I will see what they say.
Sometimes you just like a product - and as you say have to go with your gut instinct, still pays to be cautious though as I don't imagine this would be an easy item to sell on in the future.
I listen to the radio a lot and don't like to rely on the internet for it as I have limited data plan and only use a "mi-fi" / hotspot device for internet at home.
I will post a pic of my current system - the MTUN+ would replace my current FM only tuner on the bottom shelf.
cheers
Ray
IMG20211031104519.jpg
I know how good the T+A electronics are and your Dac is very popular in Germany. I remember a German review putting it as the best 2k Dac out of a whole bunch of others in their test.
I know you are going to be very impressed with the Restek tuner. Their Epos Cd player is the best sounding player I have ever heard, including the Nagra and Gryphon.
Also, if you ever get the opportunity, give their amplifiers a listen.
The Restek website gives you a comprehensive list of all their older amps and Cd players they upgrade and service.
I sent my Concret 11 which is an earlier Epos, and hand control, back for a service to Germany, for replacement dac and conversion to HDCD reader, and it was back in my living room within two weeks. They keep thousands of chip sets in cold storage at their facility.
Let me know how the Mtun+ sounds please.

Last edited:

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes and his business (?) partner who's name escapes me. Sold me some Yello albums⚫
💛
Yes I too, was a frequent visitor to his store back in the 90's. He always had plenty of time for people and investigated alternative brands. He rung me up once and said, Peter, you've got to come and listen to this integrated amp. It will p.....s all over your Naim 250.
That's not possible , I exclaimed, it's only an integrated amp.
I went along, listened and bought the Cd player and integrated amp, closely followed by his ex dem Ruark Equinox. All of which I still enjoy today.
I still have no desire to change anything, I believe Restek were ahead of the game years ago and they still service electronics that are 40 years old.

davenrk

Wammer
Nov 17, 2020
I know you are going to be very impressed with the Restek tuner. Their Epos Cd player is the best sounding player I have ever heard, including the Nagra and Gryphon.
Could you please explain me a little bit?
Did you compare the Epos with the Mikado? And with other cd players?
I wrote an email and they replied me very quickly, the Epos + is the same player as Epos, the only difference in the digital inputs in the plus version (EPOS+ does have a digital TOSLINK and digital CINCH input so that it can be used a DAC)
the upgrade costs 500 euro

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Could you please explain me a little bit?
Did you compare the Epos with the Mikado? And with other cd players?
I wrote an email and they replied me very quickly, the Epos + is the same player as Epos, the only difference in the digital inputs in the plus version (EPOS+ does have a digital TOSLINK and digital CINCH input so that it can be used a DAC)
the upgrade costs 500 euro
Hi davenrk: I will do my best, based on my experience with Restek equipment and the type of sound (I like). I feel it's important to highlight this is based on the type of sound that I specifically like!

I have owned an all-Restek system since 1998. The Concret cd player, the MDac + The Fantasy integrated amplifier, Ruark Equinox speakers.
Longevity: speaks for itself. It's playing as I write this!

Restek support and upgrade their older equipment. My Cd player went back to Germany for a full service, everything, was updated and replaced and sitting back in my living room within two weeks, including the Dirigent hand controller, which is also incredibly well made.

The Epos uses dual Burr Brown Dac chip set, with regulated power supplies.
It is a top loader using a CDM 2 pro m chassis. (They do not go wrong) neither has my laser ever failed in my Concret, which is the earlier version of the EPOS. I was 35 when I bought it, I am now 59!!

My simple analogy for how it sounds, is like a turntable. Smooth, fast, powerful and detailed. It creates three-dimensional, front to back images Alternatively I would say similar to the Pass labs sound. Class A with the power of class AB. That is another description of how I experience the sound quality of all Restek equipment. The Cd player gives the depth, soundstage and full body to notes, the amps give class AB power.
They work best together, just as Audio note CD, amp and speaker work best together, in my opinion.

I simply do not like the Gryphon sound. It is almost the opposite in how it presents music.
The Mikado looks very well put together, similar to the Epos in terms of construction and build quality. For that I like it.

The positive I would hope to pull out for you is The Gryphon equipment, throughout their range will give a very different type of musical presentation. For my tastes, it is too clinical. But that is how I hear it. You, like a lot of people, may well love it, and it should last a lifetime.
Nagra, is obviously superb equipment and bombproof as well. Very clean sound and I would probably favour it over Gryphon, for being less clinical and more neutral in its presentation.

I would go on to say that Restek is possibly the most coloured out of the three marks. However, I love the euphonic sound it makes and the pictures it paints.

This is the beauty of equipment when you get to this level. I am sure all three would last a lifetime, given their build quality.
The flavour of sound is down to you and that's the joy of high-end ownership.

If I can help any further, please don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited:
Reactions: davenrk

davenrk

Wammer
Nov 17, 2020
If I can help any further, please don't hesitate to ask!
Thanks hiesteem very much,
I try to explain you better what I am searching for, sorry for my mistakes, english is not my native language.

I have Graham LS5/5 speakers, they deliver a neutral sound (yet very natural), so it depends from what you put up before them, the sound you want to realize.
For now I have an YBA CD2 classic cd player: it has a neutral sound, with a very light sense of warmth on the highs, it is very meticulous in regards of timbral accuracy, it produces (depending on the recording of course), a nice 3D soundstage, very detailed sound, very fast and controlled.
It also has a natural approach, it seems like a turntable more or less, I have compared many years ago to a very expensive turntable and there wasn't so much difference.
It has a typical french sound which is airy and ethereal, and it's quite thin/slim.

For the amplification I use vintage Swiss Physics 5 preamp and 6A power amp.
They are wonderful: they are bright/light but not slim/thin, it's natural at the same time with really excellent timbre, very fast, detailed. not coloured at all. But their strenght, is the ability to reproduce in space many different layers of sound, when I listen to a cd, most of times I replay once or twice more, because I like to focus to different details, nuances, under trace, in the deepest part of the track.
And of course this depends also from the quality of the cd player.
Maybe they should be clinical as the Nagra? I don't know but maybe they are swiss, so the share the same nature.

https://www.cfc1962.it/recensioni-apparecchi/amplificatori-finali/swiss-physics-mod-6a/
Well, my idea would be to try to take a cd player which keeps many of the features of the YBA , but possibly with a more "concrete" presentation, less airy and slim, more "material", but without loosing the other things I like of it.

What do you mean with euphonic/coloured of the Restek?
For example I don't like Accuphase sound, it's too warm, every cd in my opinion should sound different, depending from the recording, sometimes it's bright, sometimes is dark....not every time the same...
I don't like tube sound which is exxagerated, swollen....but at the same time I don't like extremely bright sound, I like natural sound.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, my idea would be to try to take a cd player which keeps many of the features of the YBA , but possibly with a more "concrete" presentation, less airy and slim, more "material", but without loosing the other things I like of it.

What do you mean with euphonic/coloured of the Restek?
Hi davenrk: I like, "very much", your system, in terms of how you have them well matched and I think I understand that you are wanting to keep a similar presentation but with more of everything, in terms of dynamics, resolution and presentation.
Given what you are describing, I believe the Epos+ would fill out the sound in terms of more dynamics, and resolution, whilst retaining an analogue presentation.

I was describing the sound of my own personal system as a whole when I used the term euphoric and coloured.
My Concret Cd player is different to the Epos cd player, it won't have the dynamics and resolving power of the Epos+.
The Epos+ whilst retaining an analogue presentation will give more of everything in comparison.
More detail, more dynamics, a larger soundstage and will fill out the sound compared to what I have and I am sure compared to your YBA.

I quite like YBA myself and it seems we like a similar type of sound.
Also, your YBA CD2 is a 90's design like my Concret.
I would like to have the Epos+ myself, but opted for a cheaper upgrade and had the Concret serviced and an HDCD, filter implemented and bought their M Dac+ as a cheaper upgrade.
However, the Epos+ would give much more energy and dynamics than my set-up.
Are you living in Uk? If so I would ask Audio Emotion for a home loan of the Epos+.
Even better if you live in Europe, as Restek have distributors all over Europe. High-end studio's in Germany sell for slightly less than in the UK.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online