hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Old ? That’s not old mate , my Yamaha is nearly 50 years old , looks and sounds as good as new.
I like Yamaha amps myself and I am trying to get hold of a pair of ns 1000 in good condition. Do you do your own servicing. I am assuming your amp has had an overhall at its age.

Last edited:

andyrlb

Must have shot a Robin
Wammer
Apr 24, 2016
New York
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like Yamaha amps myself and I am trying to get hold of a pair of ns 1000 in good condition. Do you do your of own servicing. I am assuming your amp has had an overall at its age.
I have recapped it and cleaned the volume pot and relays , like I said it works perfectly.
I’ve owned 3 pairs of the ns1000’s , they’re good but not a touch on my B&O M100-2’s , having said that I have said I’d swap so that I have a vintage Yamaha system, plus I love the look of my ca-2010 and the ns1000’s .

Reactions: hiesteem

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have recapped it and cleaned the volume pot and relays , like I said it works perfectly.
I’ve owned 3 pairs of the ns1000’s , they’re good but not a touch on my B&O M100-2’s , having said that I have said I’d swap so that I have a vintage Yamaha system, plus I love the look of my ca-2010 and the ns1000’s .
Yes I have seen your advert and it is a lovely looking amp. Never would of thought your amp was that old. I like the AS serious of amplifier and their traditional looks.

Reactions: andyrlb

andyrlb

Must have shot a Robin
Wammer
Apr 24, 2016
New York
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well after putting this back in my main system today I’ve decided that it’s simply too good to sell .
Instruments sound more lifelike than my other amps and it has plenty of grunt to drive my speakers.

• Haha

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well after putting this back in my main system today I’ve decided that it’s simply too good to sell .
Instruments sound more lifelike than my other amps and it has plenty of grunt to drive my speakers.
I've got the MK1 fantasy running a pair of Ruark Equinox all being fed by Restek Concret mk11 . All of which I bought new in 1998. All of it has been serviced and parts rebuilt and replaced. I replaced a Naim 62 hi cap 250 with the fantasy intergrated in 98.
It has more power, more instrument separation just more of everything.
I was looking to improve on what I had and get off of the box swooping merry go round that high end audio can take our minds on. 25 years later I have achieved this. 👍 However I spend £££ on music often waiting for a box set from US.

Last edited:

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Restek are the unknown high end audio bargain imo. Two reasons they are little known in UK. They can be inconsistent in responding to dealers and dealers get fed up. The other simply being most people have never had the opportunity to listen to their stuff. There pre power and epos Cd are off the charts just f....g amazing. But no one in UK gets to hear them unless you go to Munich show.
However there are people like myself that don't really bother with anything else. Not that there isn't good stuff out there but not as good value imo.

davenrk

Wammer
Nov 17, 2020
Restek are the unknown high end audio bargain imo. Two reasons they are little known in UK. They can be inconsistent in responding to dealers and dealers get fed up. The other simply being most people have never had the opportunity to listen to their stuff. There pre power and epos Cd are off the charts just f....g amazing. But no one in UK gets to hear them unless you go to Munich show.
However there are people like myself that don't really bother with anything else. Not that there isn't good stuff out there but not as good value imo.
Hi there hiesteem,
we got in touch last year, I was interested in an Epos cd player used.
But I decided to buy another YBA cd player, the top of the line CD1 Sigma with two external power supplies. If sounds amazing. But....I have always in mind the Epos....I would like to try it compared to my YBA....
I found another one used in Germany, it's the Epos. It should be upgraded to Epos+. the upgrade costs 500 euro.
I wrote to Restek and they always reply after only a couple of hours.
Do you know if using the Epos+ as a dac with digital inputs, should be the same as quality of the sound of using a MDAC+ ?
The benefit of the Epos+ is that the dac works until 24/192 kS.
thanks

P.S. It's strange also that the concrete cd player has an external power supply , while the Epos does not have an external, only internal

P.S.2 my idea is to try another kind of sound, always transparent and faithful towards the recordings, but possibly with more body and weight. Without sacrificing the details , the refinement of the sound...could be the best "Wadia" sound , to explain?
Soundstage and most of all the DEPTH of the soundstage is maybe the most important thing for me, too.
And I suppose that the Epos could go towards this direction.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi there hiesteem,
we got in touch last year, I was interested in an Epos cd player used.
But I decided to buy another YBA cd player, the top of the line CD1 Sigma with two external power supplies. If sounds amazing. But....I have always in mind the Epos....I would like to try it compared to my YBA....
I found another one used in Germany, it's the Epos. It should be upgraded to Epos+. the upgrade costs 500 euro.
I wrote to Restek and they always reply after only a couple of hours.
Do you know if using the Epos+ as a dac with digital inputs, should be the same as quality of the sound of using a MDAC+ ?
The benefit of the Epos+ is that the dac works until 24/192 kS.
thanks

P.S. It's strange also that the concrete cd player has an external power supply , while the Epos does not have an external, only internal

P.S.2 my idea is to try another kind of sound, always transparent and faithful towards the recordings, but possibly with more body and weight. Without sacrificing the details , the refinement of the sound...could be the best "Wadia" sound , to explain?
Soundstage and most of all the DEPTH of the soundstage is maybe the most important thing for me, too.
And I suppose that the Epos could go towards this direction.
Hello again. Glad you like the YBA cdp.
I like their electronics and use excellent
Components well put together.
The Epos will give you depth, soundstage, an analogue presentation and a very good level of detail.
I am listening now to Concret cdp with mdac+ Restek Fantasy integrated, Which rewrites what an intergrated can do, buy one if one ever comes up and have Restek service it.
Try the dac in the Epos first and you will know if it's worth buying the mdac+.
Buy the epos and start saving for a Restek amplifier. Any of there older analogue amps will give you an experience you will not have heard before.
There mono amps and pre amp will make you wonder why audio equipment is so expensive. It shouldn't be.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for this. Im not sure if they sell old Restek kit?
I have to be on board with their comment about being aware of buying something new from another manufacturer because they think it might sound better 🤣.
Some of the old equipment on display are in fact mono blocks put into one box.
Restek did that a lot back then and this type of amplifier is what I meant when I said, if one comes up buy it!
Any of their older amplification will blow the cobwebs out of your speakers 😁
Restek as you know will service and upgrade a lot of this older equipment.
They got their engineering right a long time ago and their equipment hasn't changed much over the years.

Reactions: davenrk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online