Rega

terrycym

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2011
North Hampshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Stupid question maybe(probably), I have my cd player and amp sitting on isoplan? platforms, when the new TT gets here it would be better to move the base from under the amp and place the TT on it?

Stupid question maybe(probably), I have my cd player and amp sitting on isoplan? platforms, when the new TT gets here it would be better to move the base from under the amp and place the TT on it?
Best thing is to just try it and see which is best and report back

Reactions: mj446

mj446

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2012
Fife
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Turntable RP3,+ Trichord phono amp(Tom Evans modded) have landed. C3D3EAC0-E8DC-4883-9F7C-86EEC79C6CBF.jpeg
Wifey happy too.👩‍❤️‍👨

Last edited:

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks like a Mission or Cyrus Isoplat. They were very popular, and were painted board with four Sorbothane hemispheres, iirc.

I used to sell them to go under the very popular NAD3020 amp, because when stressed (they were only 20wpc) the transformers would buzz in time with the music. Pop the amp on an Isolplat and they sounded much better.

They were meant for turntables though, and in your case they somewhat duplicate the Rega design anyway. As suggested, just see how you prefer it.

mj446

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2012
Fife
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A wee back to back and the platform is back under the turntable, don’t know why but I just preferred it that way.

Reactions: Nopiano

mj446

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2012
Fife
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A weekish in and all getting better as the cart burns in, goodies bought from Loud and Clear in Edinburgh, spent a bit over the years and would recommend them if your in the area, to buy or just browse, Iain and the staff are very friendly and helpful.
Wife threatening to ensure I leave the house with no money as the lp collection growing, an eBay may be next!

Last edited:

Music At Home

Google Bot
Wammer
Jul 31, 2011
Argyll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What are you fellow Rega thread-dwellers’ opinions of Rega loudspeakers?

I remember very early in my HiFi journey, maybe 40 years ago, on a visit to the Audio Council in Oldham to audition a CD player, I managed to catch a demo of Rega Ella’s that were used in the demo system. The sound they achieved was lovely. Although difficult to pin down to any one component I did get the impression that the Ella’s had a certain ease and flow and an ability to convey the emotion in the music without being over analytical.

40 years on and that demo still lingers in my mind and I regret now not being inquisitive enough to follow up on what I heard that day. Could be rose-tinted spectacles though. Could anyone with more extensive experience of the Ella’s describe their impressions?

I owned the original R1 bookshelf loudspeaker briefly but thought they sounded a bit unrefined and a bit ordinary, even against something like a Q acoustics 3020. So didn’t peruse anything higher up the line at the time.

What are the (now discontinued) RX1, RX3, RX5 speakers like? Do they offer anything like the magic of the original Ellas? Would I be better off looking at something from Harbeth, Spendor, etc, maybe even vintage, such as BC1’s?

Bogart

Bogart
Wammer
Nov 18, 2020
Norwich
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought one of the Origin Live not impressed. Hole in middle not in centre there is run out when turning. I spoke to Origin Live who said

' Thank you for your email. Our mats start out concentric, but due to the processing needed to ensure best performance, some warping will occur.
We limit this as much as possible and this should not affect the performance of the mat as long as it isn't hanging over the platter. If we were to make these completely concentric, it would add considerably to the cost of the mat.'
Surely not hard to get this right. And yes mine does overhang the platter.

mj446

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2012
Fife
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone use a Qup device on their Rega TT, I have a new P3 with the stainless plate on the base, looks as if this may be right where I need mount the arm lifter, any help? Ta.

Music At Home

Google Bot
Wammer
Jul 31, 2011
Argyll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks like a new range of speakers are on the way. I was watching a video last night about the new Rega Kytes. During the video there was a mention about spiralling costs of veneered cabinets leading to the demise of the RX series speakers. However at the end of the video was something quite surprising. This is what was said:

- I think the Kytes obviously are the first of a new generation.

- I‘ve been talking with Rega about this and there are some crazy things coming

- Really crazy things

- Rega have got this sorted and have a direction with this, they know where they’re going

- You won’t believe what they’re going to make the speakers out of

- I can’t say anything at the moment but there are mad things afoot

- They’ve got a speaker designer from a very surprising other company joined them

- All sorts of mad stuff !

Mmmm, intriguing.

superelmar

Wammer
Jun 14, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thinking in get a P10 amd really good MM cart! Never tried a Rega, and been thru many system these last 5 years. Now I’m enjoying Mastersound Duetrenta and Audio Research i/50.

Really love big wooden TT, but hey, read absolutely beautiful things bout it and appeals to me going lighter in weight for the sources (have had Stabi S and R from Kuzma, 1200G and GR, MT-10, Feickert Woodpecker 2, Luxman PD-151 even a Magne from Bergmann), would be a nice move? I lately think that not the expensive means better always, same for heavy vs light.

Speakers are Meyer Tonapparate Yonna.

My dealer recommended me a Planar 10 over much more expensive rigs such as well tempered labs, SME, etc, He has been always honest to me, but You know I only read: “bright, light, not warrm, etc”, and being so lightweight… I know prejudices!

Thanks in advance.

Pet27

New Wammer
Mar 16, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What are you fellow Rega thread-dwellers’ opinions of Rega loudspeakers?

I remember very early in my HiFi journey, maybe 40 years ago, on a visit to the Audio Council in Oldham to audition a CD player, I managed to catch a demo of Rega Ella’s that were used in the demo system. The sound they achieved was lovely. Although difficult to pin down to any one component I did get the impression that the Ella’s had a certain ease and flow and an ability to convey the emotion in the music without being over analytical.

40 years on and that demo still lingers in my mind and I regret now not being inquisitive enough to follow up on what I heard that day. Could be rose-tinted spectacles though. Could anyone with more extensive experience of the Ella’s describe their impressions?

I owned the original R1 bookshelf loudspeaker briefly but thought they sounded a bit unrefined and a bit ordinary, even against something like a Q acoustics 3020. So didn’t peruse anything higher up the line at the time.

What are the (now discontinued) RX1, RX3, RX5 speakers like? Do they offer anything like the magic of the original Ellas? Would I be better off looking at something from Harbeth, Spendor, etc, maybe even vintage, such as BC1’s?
I have the Rega RX5 speakers and I am very impressed with them. Top-notch cabinet construction with quality veneer, excellent uncoloured mid range, smooth high frequency and deep deep bass. Their stand-out party trick is their ability to reproduce drums, as my friend said, other speakers just reproduce drums within the music, but with the RX5's its as if the drummer assembled and started playing his drum kit in the room, just amazing. I use these speakers with my Elicit Amp MK4 which is probably helping to provide the sudden high current surges useful for reproducing drums. These are nice clean sounding speakers with a touch of warmth and work extremely well in my system, in my room. I'm glad I bought them !
P.

Reactions: johncu

Music At Home

Google Bot
Wammer
Jul 31, 2011
Argyll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the Rega RX5 speakers and I am very impressed with them. Top-notch cabinet construction with quality veneer, excellent uncoloured mid range, smooth high frequency and deep deep bass. Their stand-out party trick is their ability to reproduce drums, as my friend said, other speakers just reproduce drums within the music, but with the RX5's its as if the drummer assembled and started playing his drum kit in the room, just amazing. I use these speakers with my Elicit Amp MK4 which is probably helping to provide the sudden high current surges useful for reproducing drums. These are nice clean sounding speakers with a touch of warmth and work extremely well in my system, in my room. I'm glad I bought them !
P.
I’ve picked up a pair of modern Kytes. I like them a lot. Not the most refined or sweet sounding, but to be fair I’m talking In absolute terms compared to very much more expensive speakers I’ve owned. Where they excel over most others is the fun and engagement factor. This is on the end of an Aethos and they step up wonderfully.

I‘m looking forward to hearing the new range of speakers. Can’t be long to wait now.

Reactions: Sotosound

Pet27

New Wammer
Mar 16, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve picked up a pair of modern Kytes. I like them a lot. Not the most refined or sweet sounding, but to be fair I’m talking In absolute terms compared to very much more expensive speakers I’ve owned. Where they excel over most others is the fun and engagement factor. This is on the end of an Aethos and they step up wonderfully.

I‘m looking forward to hearing the new range of speakers. Can’t be long to wait now.
I have not heard the Kytes, but they seem to get good reviews. Likewise, I would like to learn about and listen to the new range of speakers, they should be interesting.

Paullongcase

Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just got a elex r mk 3. Which sounds very nice, but how on earth do you adjust the speaker balance ? I have tried all the buttons on the remote control K
any help would be appreciated
thanks
Paul

Pet27

New Wammer
Mar 16, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have just got a elex r mk 3. Which sounds very nice, but how on earth do you adjust the speaker balance ? I have tried all the buttons on the remote control K
any help would be appreciated
thanks
Paul
Hi, I had an Elex-R mk3 for a few months, I'm fairly sure the balance is fixed and can't be adjusted. I assume your listening position is not equidistant between the speakers ?

Paullongcase

Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Due to the room layout ,I am off centre ! , so being able to balance is helpful, odd not having a balance control ?

Pet27

New Wammer
Mar 16, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes I agree, in my opinion it wouldn't hurt the sound if balance & tone controls were present. Rega always try to keep the signal path clear of any unnecessary filters etc - so they say. The Elex-R is a fine sounding amp, which speakers will you use with it ?

Reactions: Nestor Turton

Paullongcase

Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bowers and Wilkins 606 or spendor bc1.
the other issue is that the amp runs extremely hot, is this normal ?

Pet27

New Wammer
Mar 16, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, I seem to remember that my Elex-R ran a bit warm also, especially when playing loud. I don't think this is especially unusual for this amplifier. Just out of interest which of those 2 speakers do you find sounds best with the Elex-R ? - I am not familiar with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles